Sinclair...Again

A3N

Looks like WCHS/WVAH is the next Sinclair Station to get new graphics. Or in testing mode with maps. If this happens soon I will capture it.

http://www.wchstv.com/newsroom/wx/radar5.shtml

Definitely some kind of testing mode or upgrades are currently in progress, since the DIN font is replaced by Arial and Verdana.

Since these weather systems are independent of the character generators used, the upgrades aren't usually in sync with other graphic changes, since it's so highly specialized and in control of the meteorologists themselves (or the people doing the upgrades from WSI/WeatherCentral).

While they're at it, they need to replace their website (hopefully with the KABB/WSYX layout). It's been pushing close to 15 years in that format and is only a small step up from the "SuperCast" websites Sinclair launched shortly before!!!!!!!

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today Newsblues headlines 7.11.14

DEADLINE APPROACHES

kelly_garry-165.jpgThere has been an interesting development in Sinclair's nearly year-long attempt to buy what remains of the eight-station Allbritton Communications group, which is now down to six stations...and is fast approaching a July 28 deadline.

Garry Kelly, the longtime news director (who became VP-station manager four months ago) at Allbritton's WBMA-33-ABC in Birmingham (Market #40), has been named VP-general manager at Media General's WSLS-10-NBC in Roanoke (Market #68).

He starts Aug. 11 and replaces Leesa Wilcher, who left in April after 2½ years.

wcft-wjsu.jpgKelly's departure is significant for the signals it sends. Low-powerWBMA is officially Birmingham's ABC affiliate. But most viewers get their ABCprogramming from Allbritton sister-stations WCFT-33-ABC/WJSU-40-ABC, known locally as "ABC 33/40."

Last month, in a letter to the FCC, Sinclair offered to walk away from theWBMA/WCFT-33-ABC/WJSU-40-ABC broadcast licenses, after buying the stations from Allbritton. As part of the deal, Sinclair said it would then transfer the ABC affiliation to WABM-68-MyTV in Birmingham.

The plan would essentially gut "ABC 33/40" and would likely shutter the news department or, at the very least, force it to relocate. For now, the Alabama mess appears unresolved. And staffers are on pins and needles. The departure of their longtime news director seems to be a clear signal that all is not well atAllbritton's "ABC 33/40."

**facepalm**

No, the plan has them transferring the programming and intellectual property of WBMA+ to a subchannel of WABM. The station will most likely lose staffers and management due to the inevitable consolidation, but that would happen regardless of the buyer. Hearst, Scripps or ABC would be doing the same thing.

WBMA+ won't be gutted. They may even keep the obsolete "ABC 33/40" brand for marketing purposes. The news department stays the same, the station stays the same. People will need to reset their converter boxes, and the station will lose coverage to the east of Anniston, but apparently they view the loss as negligible.

How hard is it for people to grasp that concept? The proposal is 100% legal. It is not within the FCC's authority to deny the deal because it "isn't fair."

It shouldn't shock anyone if S!nclair is already prepping legal briefs to contest the FCC's inactivity, ready to file on August 1. This thing won't be ending any time soon if Wheeler's bunch sits on their hands, so much so that it will be to the detriment of the Allbritton stations.

Today Newsblues headlines 7.11.14

DEADLINE APPROACHES

There has been an interesting development in Sinclair's nearly year-long attempt to buy what remains of the eight-station Allbritton Communications group, which is now down to six stations...and is fast approaching a July 28 deadline.

Garry Kelly, the longtime news director (who became VP-station manager four months ago) at Allbritton's WBMA-33-ABC in Birmingham (Market #40), has been named VP-general manager at Media General's WSLS-10-NBC in Roanoke (Market #68). He starts Aug. 11 and replaces Leesa Wilcher, who left in April after 2½ years.

Kelly's departure is significant for the signals it sends. Low-power WBMA is officially Birmingham's ABC affiliate. But most viewers get their ABCprogramming from Allbritton sister-stations WCFT-33-ABC/WJSU-40-ABC, known locally as "ABC 33/40." Last month, in a letter to the FCC, Sinclair offered to walk away from theWBMA/WCFT-33-ABC/WJSU-40-ABC broadcast licenses, after buying the stations from Allbritton. As part of the deal, Sinclair said it would then transfer the ABC affiliation to WABM-68-MyTV in Birmingham.The plan would essentially gut "ABC 33/40" and would likely shutter the news department or, at the very least, force it to relocate. For now, the Alabama mess appears unresolved. And staffers are on pins and needles. The departure of their longtime news director seems to be a clear signal that all is not well atAllbritton's "ABC 33/40."

Holy Cow! That last paragraph serves no purpose other then to spread FUD. In fact it contains two items (highlighted in red) that are flat out wrong. First, Sinclair is still acquiring WBMA-LD. From the latest amendment: "STG will also acquire LPTV station WBMA-LD, which STG will retain." Second, they are NOT shuttering the news department. Again, from the latest amendment: "In order to permit the public to continue to receive both ABC and MyNetwork programming, as well as the syndicated and news programming carried on WABM and on WCFT/WJSU throughout the Birmingham, AL market, STG will, subject to the necessary consents from the networks and other programmers, use the multicast capability of WABM(TV) to broadcast both the programming carried on WABM as well as the programming currently carried on WCFT/WJSU." In addition, as Myron Falwell pointed out, the western portion of the DMA will still have OTA access to ABC programming as well. Once again from the latest amendment: "STG also anticipates that WDBB will retransmit the multicast stream of ABC programming from WABM(TV)"

I have no idea why News Blues and others continue to throw this crap out there when it is factually wrong. If you want to know what's going to happen all you need to do is look at what Gray did in Lincoln.

Regardless of what will happen, I think he saw the writing on the wall not because of the uncertainty of what will happen with 33/40, but because Sinclair is buying, and the likelihood that he would be canned is high, considering the dismissals of several Newport GMs when Sinclair took over the stations.

Another factor could be that Sinclair only employs General Managers, and not VP/GMs like most other groups. Such a transition would afford less control and potentially less compensation and benefits.

And it could be a move just because he wanted a change! WSLS needs the help badly and could have hired him to help overtake WSET in the ratings, since they're about to be sold too....

At least someone gets it. You might want to point this out to News Blues. This isn't anything new in the industry....new ownership comes in and (usually) wants their own management in place. Garry Kelly knows this and decided to exit stage right. If News Blues and others want to read into a departure such as this and how it relates to the current transaction a better analysis might be that the sale is nearing closing and that is why the VP/GM chose this time to move on.

I have no clue. It's hard to move channels since they place a freeze on doing so. Several TV stations have still haven't had their petitions made to move to UHF dial, the dial that's very attractive to the wireless broadband.

I'll tell you one thing though. I know several stations will try their damndest not to go back to the VHF dial during the repacking process, but I know some will not succeed in that goal.

Stations cannot be forced to move from UHF to VHF as part of the repacking. Nor, can VHF-hi stations be forced to move to VHF-lo as part of the repacking. They can voluntarily move by participating in the reverse auction and accepting reassignment from UHF to VHF or VHF-hi to VHF-lo.

It may not "be" a news exchange, but SBG pushes out all the must-runs and "makes" it one. Waste Watch could come out of Lewiston or Baltimore or San Antonio and be able to run on all the stations.

This isn't anything exclusive to SBG though. Other groups have done this too. Not to the extent Sinclair has, but they have. Also, Sinclair has done must-runs for years, originally with Morris Jones and then when he left they various WBFF people do it until they hired Kristine Frazao and now Kai Jackson.

Holy Cow! That last paragraph serves no purpose other then to spread FUD. In fact it contains two items (highlighted in red) that are flat out wrong. First, Sinclair is still acquiring WBMA-LD. From the latest amendment: "STG will also acquire LPTV station WBMA-LD, which STG will retain." Second, they are NOT shuttering the news department. Again, from the latest amendment: "In order to permit the public to continue to receive both ABC and MyNetwork programming, as well as the syndicated and news programming carried on WABM and on WCFT/WJSU throughout the Birmingham, AL market, STG will, subject to the necessary consents from the networks and other programmers, use the multicast capability of WABM(TV) to broadcast both the programming carried on WABM as well as the programming currently carried on WCFT/WJSU." In addition, as Myron Falwell pointed out, the western portion of the DMA will still have OTA access to ABC programming as well. Once again from the latest amendment: "STG also anticipates that WDBB will retransmit the multicast stream of ABC programming from WABM(TV)"

I have no idea why News Blues and others continue to throw this crap out there when it is factually wrong. If you want to know what's going to happen all you need to do is look at what Gray did in Lincoln.

At least someone gets it. You might want to point this out to News Blues. This isn't anything new in the industry....new ownership comes in and (usually) wants their own management in place. Garry Kelly knows this and decided to exit stage right. If News Blues and others want to read into a departure such as this and how it relates to the current transaction a better analysis might be that the sale is nearing closing and that is why the VP/GM chose this time to move on.

Not to mention NewsBlues says WBMA would relocate. Wouldn't WABM and WTTO be the ones relocating to the WBMA facilities since it is bigger? Knowing Sinclair, that's likely what's going to happen.

Stations cannot be forced to move from UHF to VHF as part of the repacking. Nor' date=' can VHF-hi stations be [u']forced[/u] to move to VHF-lo as part of the repacking. They can voluntarily move by participating in the reverse auction and accepting reassignment from UHF to VHF or VHF-hi to VHF-lo.

Yeah but by the way its handle, stations feel like they don't have a choice. My feeling is if they don't participate in Wheeler's pet project, they would still have to move channels regardless or deal with more interference (which it will be alot more of that). That's why I feel that Wheeler is going to mess the repacking up, and many LPs would go away. And the stations that will move, they'll probably won't get the coverage they had pre-2009 analog or their current allotment now. So even if stations don't participate, they are still SOL.

At least someone gets it. You might want to point this out to News Blues.

You would think Mona Scott (owner of NewsBlues) would know better. Mona and her ex-husband:

(Bonus: Poltergeist story at 7:24)

Yeah but by the way its handle, stations feel like they don't have a choice. My feeling is if they don't participate in Wheeler's pet project, they would still have to move channels regardless or deal with more interference (which it will be alot more of that). That's why I feel that Wheeler is going to mess the repacking up, and many LPs would go away. And the stations that will move, they'll probably won't get the coverage they had pre-2009 analog or their current allotment now. So even if stations don't participate, they are still SOL.

I wonder if VHF would work better with the competing digital system Sinclair has been pushing?

You would think Mona Scott (owner of NewsBlues) would know better. Mona and her ex-husband:

(Bonus: Poltergeist story at 7:24)

Mike James, her current husband is also a former journalist and runs the bulk of the site.

I used to be a subscriber years back when they had the anonymous shop talk, but left after realizing all I was paying for was opinion and rehashed stories I could later read for free on tvnewscheck, tvspy and other sites like ftvlive and by googling the headline itself to find the actual article.

I wonder if VHF would work better with the competing digital system Sinclair has been pushing?

If I recall correctly Sinclair is studying DVB-T2 which is one of the standards that are used in the UK. It appears that the UK uses UHF exclusively for DVB transition - they have a lower number of channel allotments but DVB-T2 has a much higher bit rate (almost double the bandwidth of the US). I think they have generally good reception there and that the digital cliff isn't as tough. You can have multiple HD channels on one mux. Albeit, I would love it if television stations in the US adopted the DVB standard and used the full bandwidth for a single HD feed it would be near BluRay quality over the air.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tech/information/a12613/uhf-channel-and-frequency-guide.html#~oK87Go51c7I7As

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/reception_advice/dtt_pocket_guide_4_2.pdf

If I recall correctly Sinclair is studying DVB-T2 which is one of the standards that are used in the UK. It appears that the UK uses UHF exclusively for DVB transition - they have a lower number of channel allotments but DVB-T2 has a much higher bit rate (almost double the bandwidth of the US). I think they have generally good reception there and that the digital cliff isn't as tough. You can have multiple HD channels on one mux. Albeit, I would love it if television stations in the US adopted the DVB standard and used the full bandwidth for a single HD feed it would be near BluRay quality over the air.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tech/information/a12613/uhf-channel-and-frequency-guide.html#~oK87Go51c7I7As

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/reception_advice/dtt_pocket_guide_4_2.pdf

Most countries have decided on UHF exclusively. The few exceptions tend to be ATSC systems, though even Mexico is abandoning low VHF and wants to have most stations between RF 7 and 36.

I heard today the DOJ cleared the deal, contingent on a sale of WHTM. They were fighting a losing cause on that one anyway. Charleston and Birmingham are OK in their mind, since the news operations count do not change (4 in Birmingham, 3 in Charleston).

I heard today the DOJ cleared the deal, contingent on a sale of WHTM. They were fighting a losing cause on that one anyway. Charleston and Birmingham are OK in their mind, since the news operations count do not change (4 in Birmingham, 3 in Charleston).

Here's the official press release from the DOJ. Also, it appears the Pennsylvania Attorney General's office is also involved in the consent decree.

Oh great, they'll probably use that to prod the FCC to OK this.

When they get this ruling from the DOJ, a greenlight from the FCC is imminent.

AHHHHLLL SHIT!!!! :angry: :bang: :mad: Those heathens are going to get their lucrative prize. :(

Here's the official press release from the DOJ. Also, it appears the Pennsylvania Attorney General's office is also involved in the consent decree.

After reading the whole release, the impression I got is that the DOJ will allow the sale to go through pending on what the court decides to do on the pending lawsuit over WHTM, which will likely be a quick decision before the drop dead date of July 28th. All the FCC would have to do then is just sign off on it after all legal claims have been settled.

Sinclair knew what they were getting themselves into when they went after the Allbritton stations. They wanted WJLA as well as the infrastructure of NC8 in order to broaden their national news service to new levels, and it appears imminent now that they will finally get their wish. People can fuss about it all they want, but it's no different from what companies like Scripps, Gannett, and even Raycom are doing on a national level to utilize every resource they have.

Bottom line: The broadcast industry has changed, and the people with the money along with the stocks and bonds to show for it are making the big deals. Whether we like it or not, that is reality, even if it means millions of viewers losing out in the end.

So....WHTM is going to old-MG, which will then become new Media General, post LIN merger?

It's like Oprah's Favorite Things: Broadcast Media edition--

"You get a TV station, you get a TV station... You ALL get a TV station!"

Sinclair knew what they were getting themselves into when they went after the Allbritton stations. They wanted WJLA as well as the infrastructure of NC8 in order to broaden their national news service to new levels, and it appears imminent now that they will finally get their wish. People can fuss about it all they want, but it's no different from what companies like Scripps, Gannett, and even Raycom are doing on a national level to utilize every resource they have.

WJLA was the big fish, but they also wanted the upgrades in Birmingham and Charleston. Upgraded operations = more money. Tulsa is two hours away from Oklahoma City - maybe they can squeeze out synergies there?

The DOJ is basically giving the FCC an out on this. It's patently obvious that both government departments do not S!nclair for political reasons, as both departments are highly politicized. But they can't deny the merger, as there is nothing to deny. It is 100% within the letter of the law. And if the FCC sits on their hands and lets the deadline pass, S!nclair easily can take them to court.

I expect the FCC to allow the merger to go through, but without releasing a scathing statement against S!nclair that rips the company to shreds for their political stances and blah blah blah... stuff that the FCC has no business in regulating in the first place.

Basically, how I see it with the other two is that the number of news operations in Charleston and Birmingham would not change (remain at 3 and 4, respectively). The current Sinclair stations in those markets are dog stations with minimal presence overall.

Basically, how I see it with the other two is that the number of news operations in Charleston and Birmingham would not change (remain at 3 and 4, respectively). The current Sinclair stations in those markets are dog stations with minimal presence overall.

I still don't get all this confusion here. The only thing that changes is the OTA frequency and the tower the signal is coming from. ABC 33-40 will just be sending out their signal over Channel 68 instead of 20/33/40.

Otherwise, same building, same people, same news operation. They are just sending the signal that comes out of their building over to a different transmitter that Sinclair already owns.

We have all our open enrollment information, and can start enrolling in SBG's medical, etc., now. No closing date announcement yet, but the enrollment period is set up so that there will be a 'smooth transition of benefits'.

I'd say this deal is certain at this point. Both parties seem to be 100% certain that by the start of August, Albritton will be no more.

This might also play a part in the FCC's decision.

****FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE****

July 14, 2014

BUCKEYE CABLESYSTEM ANNOUNCES THE RETURN OF NBC CHANNEL 24, STATION WNWO-TV TO BUCKEYE’S SYSTEM

Buckeye CableSystem announced today that NBC Channel 24, WNWO, has returned to Buckeye’s cable television system effective immediately. “I am pleased to welcome WNWO back to Buckeye, the area’s number one television service provider”, said Jeff Abbas, Buckeye’s President and General Manager. On December 15, 2013, Sinclair Broadcasting Group, the new owner of WNWO, directed Buckeye to remove its signal from Buckeye’s channel line-up when the parties were unable to agree on the amount Buckeye would pay Sinclair in retransmission fees for the right to carry the station.

“During the time WNWO was off our system, Buckeye held the line on skyrocketing broadcaster fees that drive up the cost of cable television for consumers. Fortunately, real progress has been made with the Federal Communications Commission, which recently adopted important reforms in the area of retransmission consent negotiations that should help keep those fees in check. We look forward to additional changes in FCC rules that will help television consumers.”

During the time the station was off Buckeye’s system, Buckeye distributed over 17,000 antennas to its customers to permit them to obtain NBC programming over-the-air. Buckeye also provided information about how to obtain NBC programming over the internet. “Buckeye is an industry leader in customer service,” Mr. Abbas said, “and our commitment to personal service was never more evident than during the time WNWO was off our system.”

Buckeye had also been providing its customers with a small monthly credit of $.24 to reflect the amount Buckeye previously paid for the NBC station. With the return of the NBC programming, that credit will end. Despite the new agreement, Mr. Abbas added that Buckeye has no plans for a rate hike at this time. At the time of the issuance of this press release, Buckeye engineers are working to restore WNWO to Buckeye’s system and expect that the channel will be back before the day is over.

Buckeye and Sinclair reached a two-year carriage agreement. Both parties also agreed to withdraw the complaints they had filed against each other with the FCC. In addition, if Sinclair launches a new cable channel, Buckeye will carry it.

Over the next 24 hours, we will update our guide information to reflect NBC programming. Thank you!

Archived