Ridiculous May Sweeps Stories

Geoffrey

The May sweeps period begins Thursday. That means stations will go the extra mile to get viewers' eyes by practicing solid journalism.

JUST KIDDING YOU GUYS!!!

Many are actually going to try to shock us and scare us into watching.

I thought maybe we could keep track of some of the more ridiculous pieces stations report/promote during this four-week period. (I hope this doesn't count as a list.)

I'll go first: Thursday at 11:00, WCBS will report on "The New High?" Teens sniffing lethal flowers. (No, I'm not joking this time.)

No wonder they say used car salesmen are more trusted.

This definitely isn't a ridiculous one, but one of the more interesting ones I've seen come out of Hampton Roads TV in a while. It has a positive ending, really.

Les Smith, who anchored at WAVY for 22 years and at WTKR for a few months in 2008 (as well as a short stint with News 12 in New Jersey), shared his story about why he abruptly left TV news in an interview with Barbara Ciara. Check it out...

http://wtkr.com/2013/04/25/exclusive-les-smith-talks-about-new-career-new-outlook-on-life/

I'll go first: Thursday at 11:00, WCBS will report on "The New High?" Teens sniffing lethal flowers. (No, I'm not joking this time.)

No wonder they say used car salesmen are more trusted.

Gives new meaning to, "Fighting the Frizzies." ;)

Over in OKC' date=' KFOR ran a story about a guy who got sent a rubber penis in the mail. Yep. Oh, and they interviewed a guy named Derek Woody.

It's sweeps time in Oklahoma.

Somewhere, WOIO's Bill Applegate is looking at that story and fuming, "why didn't my station do this story first?"

Over in OKC' date=' KFOR ran a story about a guy who got sent a rubber penis in the mail. Yep. Oh, and they interviewed a guy named Derek Woody.

WMC might beat this one. I actually just saw a promo for their hard-hitting investigation tonight at 10: "How my double Ds saved my life".

WMC might beat this one. I actually just saw a promo for their hard-hitting investigation tonight at 10: "How my double Ds saved my life".

It's not what you think though. It's a story about breast reduction surgery.

I wasn't so surprised by this, but today, just in time for sweeps, WGBO is airing part of a recurring segment where the host of the entertainment segment works on various jobs. This time, he's going to be a janitor at the station. What surprised me about the promo is that you could see the pre-2012 desk in the background. I'll see if I can upload it.

I wasn't so surprised by this, but today, just in time for sweeps, WGBO is airing part of a recurring segment where the host of the entertainment segment works on various jobs. This time, he's going to be a janitor at the station. What surprised me about the promo is that you could see the pre-2012 desk in the background. I'll see if I can upload it.

Not a new concept... WVEC ran a longtime segment with their feature reporter Joe Flanagan called "Joe's Job." They recently revived it actually.

I had forgotten but this reminds me of when KPTV did this about 6 six ago. haha.

I looked it up and found one of them...

[yt]YRhyN_9Wnk0[/yt]

KFOR also ran a story that seems like a reject from ABC's What Would You Do?, in which they placed fake turtles on roads in three different counties to see if people would stop before they hit them or just run over them.

http://kfor.com/2013/05/02/oklahomans-put-to-turtle-test/

We did that several years ago with our morning meteorologist. I field-produced the live shots for the first job: stay-at-home dad for five kids. Two of the others were fast food worker and beer brewer. I forget the final one.

KFOR also ran a story that seems like a reject from ABC's What Would You Do?, in which they placed fake turtles on roads in three different counties to see if people would stop before they hit them or just run over them.

http://kfor.com/2013/05/02/oklahomans-put-to-turtle-test/

It's great to know that the Randy Michaels "Frat Boy" attitude is still alive and well at LTVLLC!

Imagine if Sinclair did this... Anyways, KFOX is doing a story on a company who will give a pay raise to its workers if they tattoo their logo on themselves...

Weird how the FCC granted permission for Sinclair to purchase KFOX the next day after you posted this.

Not a new concept... WVEC ran a longtime segment with their feature reporter Joe Flanagan called "Joe's Job." They recently revived it actually.

WTAJ does this every Friday on their lifestyles newscast Central PA Live! and they call it Take This Job and LOVE It... and the chief meteorologist Joe Murgo did a segment similar to this about 4 years ago called Jobs For Joe.

Imagine if Sinclair did this... Anyways, KFOX is doing a story on a company who will give a pay raise to its workers if they tattoo their logo on themselves...

I would not work for a company that asks its employees to tattoo an TV station logo on their body, besides its very very strange after the realization of that station being sold to Sinclair.

It's not what you think though. It's a story about breast reduction surgery.

I would say its an Sexual Harrassment Suit in court, however it would be more disturbing and explicit.

I personally think this is a very weird situation they are putting in the sweeps in Oklahoma City, I personally think that a rubber penis story would solve most of the world's weird fetishes. hmmmm....

WHBQ in Memphis did a story tonight on text abbreviations, and included a moment at the end where Mearl Purvis was schooling Darrell Greene on the different ones used.

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/story/22210641/spell-it-out

WMC, meanwhile, is doing a story tomorrow on rejected names for license plate tags.

Archived