CNN to bring a New Day

Action Newsroom

Yes I know it's already announced, but no thread has been made. So I made one myself.

CNN has announced late last month that it will begin airing a new morning program on June 10, replacing its ill-faded predecessor Starting Point. It will be called New Day. The new program will be hosted by Chris Cuomo (who came to CNN late December), Kate Bolduan (previously the network's congressional correspondent), and Michaela Pereira (who previously worked at KTLA). It will be broadcast from CNN studios in New York and will air from 6-9am, competing directly with FNC (Fox and Friends) and MSNBC (Morning Joe) in the morning hours.

New Day premiere now pushed back to June 17. Excited to see what CNN comes up with. Will there be a desk or will there be a couch to make it a more conversational show similar to F&F? Will there be a weather personality? The article states that there won't be a kitchen but nothing including cooking is off the table. I do truly hope that CNN does not place this show on the same set as every other show but creates a set that really speaks mornings!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping that New Day will not look like Starting Point in the first place, however, I personally would like to see them with a couch and also a studio facing outside overviewing the day's traffic instead of a bunch of monitors in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully New Day will ditch the whole American Morning format of strictly news. It just doesn't work well in the morning. The set needs to be warm and welcoming which the CNN NY studio is not.

Michaela will bring the warmth it needs. She made the KTLA morning news #1... She's so sweet and funny on air, I have a feeling the show will do well. At least we know people from The Southland will be watching, as will I!

Seriously. What. The. Hell. Is. Wrong. With. Using. A. Couch.

Back posture, honestly. You don't want to make your reporters and anchors seem lazy by sitting on, or rather in a couch that's causing them to slump. Standing and sitting in high back chairs allow people to be better alert and allow greater oxygen flow. When you have a job that requires a lot of talking. Both of these functions are very important. ;)

Michaela was on the ball today, for sure. I think Chris and Kate were good, but both seemed to try a little too hard. I think that'll work out, though. I REALLY like the set, it's clearly inspired by CBS, but not at all a rip-off. The graphics are okay, but that's not as important on an informative, personality-driven show like this (Fox and Friends, anyone?).

Good start, room for improvement (for sure), certainly worth checking out. It's already MILES ahead of the Soledad O'Brien crap/show.

Michaela should be leading the show with Chris! Kate didn't seem natural plus Michaela led KTLA Morning News and is more natural. The show itself was pretty good I loved the fast paced tone of the program. The repetition of the exact same stories and analysis at the top of each hour was a bit too much though.

I did enjoy watching the show this morning and like the fast pace. The only reason I think Michaela is not the co host because of her coming from local news and CNN doesn't want to to take that big of a risk but today she showed she is more than capable for the position. Both Chris and Kate seemed nervous so I won't judge their chemistry together until they get the hands of things. I did however call this the CBS This Morning cable edition. Overall I give it a B+ on the effort to redefine itself.

Archived