This is Home > Based on a full-length readapted song

Stumbled upon the page of Wes Quave, who is a singer and does contracted work for Gari Media. He has a full length song called "This is the Place" which Gari had him resing bits of it to create Gannett's "This is Home" image package.

Apparently "This is the Place" image song was used on Savannah's Fox affiliate WTGS before Gari reworked it and also added news themes for Gannett.

Here is the link to "This is the Place" from Quave's sound cloud:

https://soundcloud.com/wes-quave/this-is-the-place

and here is his website, to hear other work, including more stuff that Gari has used.

http://www.wesquave.com/#!music/c10tw

WUSA - I mean wusa9 used parts of this in their initial image campaign release when they rolled out the new theme, graphics and logo... Instead of "This is it" it was "This is home". Let me find the clip and I'll post the link...

Here's the mobile link (on my pad right now...)

Jim

That's true, I caught it when they posted it up on Youtube. Seems like the main piece the singer had to retrack was changing "This is It" line to This is Home and I'm guessing Gari created the various mixouts from the audio stems in protools or whatever they use. The vocal song mixes seem to be working well on most of their stations, considering it's generic. It's catchy, in my opinion.

The news package portion feels different than much of their recent work, feels very inspiring and I don't hear a lot of recycled ideas, from prior packages - all while still keeping a lot of variations. I'd consider it some of their best work over the past 5 years.

WUSA - I mean wusa9 used parts of this in their initial image campaign release when they rolled out the new theme, graphics and logo... Instead of "This is it" it was "This is home". Let me find the clip and I'll post the link...

Here's the mobile link (on my pad right now...)

Jim

That's true, I caught it when they posted it up on Youtube. Seems like the main piece the singer had to retrack was changing "This is It" line to This is Home and I'm guessing Gari created the various mixouts from the audio stems in protools or whatever they use. The vocal song mixes seem to be working well on most of their stations, considering it's generic. It's catchy, in my opinion.

The news package portion feels different than much of their recent work, feels very inspiring and I don't hear a lot of recycled ideas, from prior packages - all while still keeping a lot of variations. I'd consider it some of their best work over the past 5 years.

This is Home is this decade's version of This is your News. I love it in the same way. A really driving rhythm and melody.

The image itself is f**king awesome! All versions. Here is one of the others: http://vimeopro.com/g3graphics/gannett-graphics-group/video/58662787 I don't know how many people have heard this one. It seems that the Wes Quave version is used most often.

Stumbled upon the page of Wes Quave, who is a singer and does contracted work for Gari Media. He has a full length song called "This is the Place" which Gari had him resing bits of it to create Gannett's "This is Home" image package.

Apparently "This is the Place" image song was used on Savannah's Fox affiliate WTGS before Gari reworked it and also added news themes for Gannett.

Here is the link to "This is the Place" from Quave's sound cloud:

https://soundcloud.com/wes-quave/this-is-the-place

and here is his website, to hear other work, including more stuff that Gari has used.

http://www.wesquave.com/#!music/c10tw

I also found this great vid:

(Courtesy Gari Media Group)

This is Home is this decade's version of This is your News. I love it in the same way. A really driving rhythm and melody.

I concur - now I'm waiting for some of the local customizations - especially during the "rap" part.

J

I also found this great vid:
(Courtesy Gari Media Group)

This is whithout a doubt in my mind, one of the best composed and executed promo's from a local station, non the less, a mid-sized/small market TV station, this really brings the community into the promo, reminds me alot of Hello or Turn To. But I honestly think this WTGS version is even a step above that. This is great!

This is whithout a doubt in my mind, one of the best composed and executed promo's from a local station, non the less, a mid-sized/small market TV station, this really brings the community into the promo, reminds me alot of Hello or Turn To. But I honestly think this WTGS version is even a step above that. This is great!

Yes it is. But the lyrics of Gannett's version are better.

Reading "fine print" at the end:

Available on iTunes / Gari Records

Hmmmm...

My only question: Why doesn't Gari sell their packages to the public on iTunes? I want This Is Home, Eyewitness News, and This is Your News with WBBH updates... I can't use these in any self-profiting way. I just want to listen to some awesome music... I realize that we are a select group of individuals who like news music, but to assume that we would do all sorts of illegal things with this is pretty below the belt. I would so like to convince Gari, 615, SAM, inthegroove, Non-Stop etc. to make this admittedly niche music available to the public (even a small group, 300-). :)

My only question: Why doesn't Gari sell their packages to the public on iTunes? I want This Is Home, Eyewitness News, and This is Your News with WBBH updates... I can't use these in any self-profiting way. I just want to listen to some awesome music... I realize that we are a select group of individuals who like news music, but to assume that we would do all sorts of illegal things with this is pretty below the belt. I would so like to convince Gari, 615, SAM, inthegroove, Non-Stop etc. to make this admittedly niche music available to the public (even a small group, 300-). :)

That's NEVER going to happen. Stations are actively using these packages to identify themselves. That's the main purpose for it, not for personal enjoyment. Old packages (not a few years..OLD) perhaps would be interesting to have them become available on iTunes as a full length song of sorts for each, released on a single album. Another thing, let's say Gari was dumb enough to do it and post all his news music on iTunes, we aren't the only ones who can access iTunes. Anyone can buy it off of there and use it for whatever purpose.. His TV music business would easily be toast.

That's NEVER going to happen. Stations are actively using these packages to identify themselves. That's the main purpose for it, not for personal enjoyment. Old packages (not a few years..OLD) perhaps would be interesting to have them become available on iTunes as a full length song of sorts for each, released on a single album. Another thing, let's say Gari was dumb enough to do it and post all his news music on iTunes, we aren't the only ones who can access iTunes. Anyone can buy it off of there and use it for whatever purpose.. His TV music business would easily be toast.

@TMBtD: If you noticed my last statement, I whittled down my idea: " I would so like to convince Gari, 615, SAM, inthegroove, Non-Stop etc. to make this admittedly niche music available to the public (even a small group, 300-)." Which means if we could request the packages and they would sell a non-broadcast-use version to use, I would be more more than happy. My first statement was no more than a generalization.

The notion of making news theme music packages available to people who enjoy listening to it, is not that far fetched. Happens all the time in other countries.

Britain's ITV News themes are all released on a digital library that is basically publicly accessible a few months after a package starts being used. Check out playkpm.com and search for "global broadcast" to listen to their theme. Other European tv stations are selling their theme packages for a profit on the internet. Imagine for example, buying the package from your favorite TV show for a mere ten bucks. Dutch production company Talpa, which produces NBC's The Voice, does exactly that for all their shows. Check out their website: talpadownloads.nl. It's in Dutch but you get the point.

It happens in the United States as well. Composer Russ Landau releases all his music for CBS's Survivor on iTunes. Fans love it.

This is a recent trend to be sure. The problem used to be that there were just too few people interested in theme music to justify releasing it on cd. However, with a digital download infrastructure easily built these days, almost all of the extra revenue is profit. So why not sell the theme music? It makes sense.

Now Gari might be reluctant to release his newest material to the public. But I bet he could make a small profit while making a lot of news theme fans very happy if he released his Catch 5 package on iTunes.

The notion of making news theme music packages available to people who enjoy listening to it, is not that far fetched. Happens all the time in other countries.

Britain's ITV News themes are all released on a digital library that is basically publicly accessible a few months after a package starts being used. Check out playkpm.com and search for "global broadcast" to listen to their theme. Other European tv stations are selling their theme packages for a profit on the internet. Imagine for example, buying the package from your favorite TV show for a mere ten bucks. Dutch production company Talpa, which produces NBC's The Voice, does exactly that for all their shows. Check out their website: talpadownloads.nl. It's in Dutch but you get the point.

It happens in the United States as well. Composer Russ Landau releases all his music for CBS's Survivor on iTunes. Fans love it.

This is a recent trend to be sure. The problem used to be that there were just too few people interested in theme music to justify releasing it on cd. However, with a digital download infrastructure easily built these days, almost all of the extra revenue is profit. So why not sell the theme music? It makes sense.

Now Gari might be reluctant to release his newest material to the public. But I bet he could make a small profit while making a lot of news theme fans very happy if he released his Catch 5 package on iTunes.

Hello News has been one of the most successful packages in the nation! I guarantee a lot of people fond memories of this packages and if Gari made it available (Non-Broadcast/profit use only), a lot of people would buy it!

No: This is Home!!!

;-)

J

Archived