Media General, Young to merge

NewsMaster

Direct station swap. What NBC did for WCAU (traded KUTV and KCNC to CBS).

If I were NBC, I'd only buy the KRON call letters, transmitter and virtual channel 4 mapping, and spin off the KNTV license, transmitter, virtual channel 11 mapping and the KRON studios/staff to a third party. Maybe Fox, who could relaunch the station as "Fox 11." Something along the lines of CBS and NBC trading the licenses and transmitters for WTVJ and WCIX/WFOR in Miami.

Unless there are significant signal problems with KNTV, NBC doesn't really have a need to trade "up," considering the post-2009 digital TV landscape. "NBC Bay Area" is established enough in the market, why give it up (unless you really want the NBC4 brand)? Plus KRON as it currently is has become too tarnished a brand for it in their current form.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I were NBC, I'd only buy the KRON call letters, transmitter and virtual channel 4 mapping, and spin off the KNTV license, transmitter, virtual channel 11 mapping and the KRON studios/staff to a third party. Maybe Fox, who could relaunch the station as "Fox 11." Something along the lines of CBS and NBC trading the licenses and transmitters for WTVJ and WCIX/WFOR in Miami.

Unless there are significant signal problems with KNTV, NBC doesn't really have a need to trade "up," considering the post-2009 digital TV landscape. "NBC Bay Area" is established enough in the market, why give it up (unless you really want the NBC4 brand)? Plus KRON as it currently is has become too tarnished a brand for it in their current form.

I wil repeat what I said earlier.....Let FOX buy KRON. It makes sense anyway (at least to me). Correct me if I am wrong, but hasn't FOX lusted after KTVU, the way NBC lusted after KRON? Obviously, Cox isn't selling anytime soon. I predict....KRON becomes the FOX O&O for the Frisco Bay, and KTVU becomes Northern Cali's answer to KCAL.

I even have the perfect branding for a FOX-owned KRON: FOX 4 The Bay.

Here's the article from BroadcastEngineering.

The first paragraph is what everybody should be thinking about, as these upcoming incentive auctions happen next year.

If you see another smaller group merge with another smaller, they're not doing it for nothing. And then there's Sinclair.

This is why MG would likely hold on to KRON. They could probably make more money selling the frequency back to the FCC than selling to someone else.

This is why MG would likely hold on to KRON. They could probably make more money selling the frequency back to the FCC than selling to someone else.

I disagree. I do not see Media General selling the frequency back to the FCC. Besides, I strongly believe that if FOX ponies up enough cash, MG will sell to them.

Someone else earlier in this thread suggested that MG will hold on to KRON, and just eat Young's losses. Why? Let the station become some other group's problem.

This is how I think things will play out.....

After the merger is completed, MG will put KRON up for sale. FOX will express interest, as they should. BUT.....I believe that they will make one FINAL attempt to buy KTVU from Cox. After Cox tells FOX to take a hike yet again, FOX will pull the trigger on acquiring KRON. And then, you can see what I wrote before.

KTVU's agreement with Fox should be up for renewal soon. That could very well pave the way for something to happen if MG puts KRON on the block. My bet is that Comcast/NBC Universal will grab KRON change the call letters and or simply call it NBC4 Bay Area.

I wil repeat what I said earlier.....Let FOX buy KRON. It makes sense anyway (at least to me). Correct me if I am wrong, but hasn't FOX lusted after KTVU, the way NBC lusted after KRON? Obviously, Cox isn't selling anytime soon. I predict....KRON becomes the FOX O&O for the Frisco Bay, and KTVU becomes Northern Cali's answer to KCAL.

Fox would be the logical option for KRON. The station just needs to be blown up, WBMG-to-WIAT style. And Fox would be the only one that can afford the station AND make serious investments in.

I'm calling my shot. NBC will not buy KRON, nor will they express any interest in the station, period. They don't need it in any way. We aren't in the analog era any more.

As for KRON, unless FOX decides to blow up their relationship with KTVU, they really don't have a lot of options in San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose unless they keep staying the course as a news-intensive station or cashing in on the spectrum auction next year. Since all the networks own stations there except for FOX, they're quite limited. Cox seems to have a better relationship with FOX in SF than Bahakel has (and soon will not have) in Charlotte. Either WCCB was underperforming or Bahakel didn't want to pony up the dough....that is likely why FOX snapped up WJZY/WMYT.

Going forward, Media General could make a play for some FOX affiliates.....this is the one area which they lack stations (aside from soon-to-be JSAed WXXA in Albany). Doing so will give them Superbowl revenue every year from all the networks that carry it, plus the World Series, Nascar, and other sporting events.

As for FOX stations they could acquire, they could snatch up WHBQ in Memphis and possibly WOGX in Ocala...that is if FOX wants to pare down their portfolio again. Memphis fell through because the only offers received were from owners who already had holdings in Memphis.

They could be a contender for some or all of LocalTV's FOX stations as well....especially if Warren Buffett injects some capital to make it happen...

As for KRON, unless FOX decides to blow up their relationship with KTVU, they really don't have a lot of options in San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose unless they keep staying the course as a news-intensive station or cashing in on the spectrum auction next year. Since all the networks own stations there except for FOX, they're quite limited. Cox seems to have a better relationship with FOX in SF than Bahakel has (and soon will not have) in Charlotte. Either WCCB was underperforming or Bahakel didn't want to pony up the dough....that is likely why FOX snapped up WJZY/WMYT.

Going forward, Media General could make a play for some FOX affiliates.....this is the one area which they lack stations (aside from soon-to-be JSAed WXXA in Albany). Doing so will give them Superbowl revenue every year from all the networks that carry it, plus the World Series, Nascar, and other sporting events.

As for FOX stations they could acquire, they could snatch up WHBQ in Memphis and possibly WOGX in Ocala...that is if FOX wants to pare down their portfolio again. Memphis fell through because the only offers received were from owners who already had holdings in Memphis.

They could be a contender for some or all of LocalTV's FOX stations as well....especially if Warren Buffett injects some capital to make it happen...

If I learned anything from the FOX Broadcasting Company over the years, it is that they care more about ratings and revenue than their affiliate base. I do not think they have any qualms about displacing any of them, including long-time affils, such as in Charlotte (perhaps Bahakel was not willing to shell out more cash), and in San Diego (even though they were on a Mexico-based station, and went to Tribune's then-CW affiliate). And no one needs a reminder about New World (after winning the NFL rights).

Point is, Cox's relationship with the network very well may be lovey-dovey. But at the end of the day, if FOX sees an opportunity to further grow ratings and revenue, they will take it.

FOX has always wanted to own a station in the Bay Area. They have approached Cox numerous times about KTVU, and were rejected every single time.

Cox executives better start getting on their knees and praying that Media General doesn't put KRON on the block. If that happens, bottom line....KTVU is SCREWED.

I would like to see NBCU keep both stations and turn KRON into the NBC affiliate and have KNTV as a news-heavy independent like KCAL.

Not likely to happen. In addition to KNTV, Comcast/NBCU owns Telemundo station KSTS-TV.

Frisco Bay? Generally it's called The Bay Area. San Francisco is called by it's name and San Jose can be called Silicon Valley. I would probably brand it FOX 4 Bay Area.

I doubt that NBC would be interested in buying KRON (this scenario/rumor/dream keeps coming up every year or so). It's more likely that FOX makes a run for KRON, like everyone has mentioned. However, FOX could also use KRON as a leverage against KTVU/COX and force COX to sell them KTVU or risk losing the FOX affiliation. KTVU would need very minimal to FOX-ify it, compared to KRON which would most likely require quite a bit of investment by FOX to bring it up to their standards. Either way, I don't really see Media General keeping its west coast stations and i'm sure that selling them is on their list of priorities.

I doubt that NBC would be interested in buying KRON (this scenario/rumor/dream keeps coming up every year or so). It's more likely that FOX makes a run for KRON, like everyone has mentioned. However, FOX could also use KRON as a leverage against KTVU/COX and force COX to sell them KTVU or risk losing the FOX affiliation. KTVU would need very minimal to FOX-ify it, compared to KRON which would most likely require quite a bit of investment by FOX to bring it up to their standards. Either way, I don't really see Media General keeping its west coast stations and i'm sure that selling them is on their list of priorities.

KRON 4 will be the only MG west coast station after the completion of the merger.

I just don't see Cox selling its longtime station. The station that has been with the same ownership for going on 50 years. This is not like Cox was a Johnny-come-lately who came out of the woodwork just a few days ago. But y'all should also understand that this is also Cox's only west coast property (after selling KRXI/KAME to Sinclair earlier this year).

Should MG do sell, yeah it wouldn't be a doubt that Fox will be the first to jump on it. Yes, Fox could use the KRON card to make their warning to KTVU. But those suits in Atlanta ain't gonna budge selling one of its crown jewels, like WSB, WPXI & WHIO. Their best bet is going back to what they used to be and that is an Independent station (be more news-intensive), then to selling it to Fox, keeping its affiliation in tact. So if KRON becomes the new O&O, let Fox do all the heavy lifting. And let them acquire some good syndicated programming in the process, since they're a lack of a good number of it, right now. And I almost forgot, Cox have a duopoly. So it would be great if Cox get two indie-stations, instead of acquiring the MyNetworkTV affil. Be an Indie and maybe get Giants/Athletics/Warriors OTA rights (okay that's asking too much).

And if Fox follows through with this method, they will have a really tough time selling themselves in the Bay Area, just like it's going to be a really tough time in Charlotte in the beginning months, even after the implementation of their in-house news ops in 2014. Fox's best bet is to leave the affiliation in tact on KTVU 2 and focus highly on their News Corp/21st Century Fox Split and its new sports network Fox Sports 1. Let them deal with that.

I don't get the perennial fixation over KRON. KRON is irrelevant, and out of any network, Fox would be the only one interested, but they have no major reason to be unhappy with KTVU. Same thing with NBC and KNTV.

I don't get the perennial fixation over KRON. KRON is irrelevant, and out of any network, Fox would be the only one interested, but they have no major reason to be unhappy with KTVU. Same thing with NBC and KNTV.

Again, FOX could be happy with KTVU. It still doesn't matter. If Media General puts KRON on the block, KTVU's days as an affiliate are over. I bet FOX was also happy with WCCB. And XETV. And KTRV (Boise, Idaho). They are all gone or about to be gone. FOX is going to go where they believe the money is. And if it means going to an irrelevant station like KRON, then so be it.

KRON is a boondoggle. It is solely responsible for driving Young into bankruptcy (by paying a RECORD $820 MILLION for it and THEN having NBC yank their affiliation) Based on how Media General has run the former NBC O&Os, the past 5 years with their company could horribly repeat themselves if they choose to proceed with this station in their portfolio. More cutbacks, furloughs, consolidation, and possibly another close call with bankruptcy all over again!

Then again, most of the damage has been done and any worth to the station has been severly diminished under Young. If it's not bleeding cash and could be run profitably, there may be some hope. If FOX or any other party offers them a wad of cash, I would say SELL! SELL! SELL!!!!

If Fox did buy KRON, wouldn't they want to have a Fox/MyNetworkTV duopoly? Fox probably thinks that in buying KTVU, they could get such a duopoly in the Bay Area, since Cox also owns KTVU's sister station KICU, which is an independent (which would result in MyNetworkTV moving to KICU from KRON, while KTVU stays with Fox). If Fox were to buy KRON, they'd probably have to immediately start searching for a second station in the Bay Area to acquire (and there's enough stations in that market to allow another duopoly, what with about 20(?) some odd stations there).

Besides, there's no guarantee that if Fox bought KRON, that it would move Fox there once the time comes for the affiliation agreement with KTVU to be renewed. Remember, Fox did own WUTB in Baltimore before it sold that station to Deerfield Media (Sinclair), Sinclair feared that it would lose the Fox affiliation for its flagship WBFF after Fox acquired WUTB from Chris-Craft/United Television/BHC Communications but managed to squeak out affiliation renewals with the network a couple of times; of course, we know what resulted from that -- Fox never did pull the trigger and move the network to WUTB, keeping it with UPN and then MyNetworkTV, before selling it to Deerfield. If Fox bought KRON, something like that might happen, although less likely considering it is a Top 10 market station, though all bets are off if Fox were to acquire a second station in the Bay to pair it with KRON.

If Fox did buy KRON, wouldn't they want to have a Fox/MyNetworkTV duopoly? Fox probably thinks that in buying KTVU, they could get such a duopoly in the Bay Area, since Cox also owns KTVU's sister station KICU, which is an independent (which would result in MyNetworkTV moving to KICU from KRON, while KTVU stays with Fox). If Fox were to buy KRON, they'd probably have to immediately start searching for a second station in the Bay Area to acquire (and there's enough stations in that market to allow another duopoly, what with about 20(?) some odd stations there).

Besides, there's no guarantee that if Fox bought KRON, that it would move Fox there once the time comes for the affiliation agreement with KTVU to be renewed. Remember, Fox did own WUTB in Baltimore before it sold that station to Deerfield Media (Sinclair), Sinclair feared that it would lose the Fox affiliation for its flagship WBFF after Fox acquired WUTB from Chris-Craft/United Television/BHC Communications but managed to squeak out affiliation renewals with the network a couple of times; of course, we know what resulted from that -- Fox never did pull the trigger and move the network to WUTB, keeping it with UPN and then MyNetworkTV, before selling it to Deerfield. If Fox bought KRON, something like that might happen, although less likely considering it is a Top 10 market station, though all bets are off if Fox were to acquire a second station in the Bay to pair it with KRON.

If FOX buys KRON and makes it an O&O, I would not be surprised if they also acquired former WB affiliate (and current independent) KOFY (Channel 20) from Granite Broadcasting. Heck, I could also see FOX buying Granite's MyNetworkTV station in Detroit (WMYD, also on Channel 20), giving it a duopoly in the Motor City with O&O WJBK.

That station would most likely be KOFY. Granite owns it and, itself being private equity owned, is probably looking to sell its stations off anyway.

Why did Fox yank its affiliation from XETV, anyway? I think the KTRV ordeal had to do with retransmission consent fees, and the yanking of WCCB's affiliation was more likely than not because Capitol didn't want WRAZ's Fox affiliation yanked...

^Fox can't buy WMYD outright. Detroit already has one duopoly (WWJ/WKBD) and anything more would violate the eight voices rule.

That station would most likely be KOFY. Granite owns it and, itself being private equity owned, is probably looking to sell its stations off anyway.

Why did Fox yank its affiliation from XETV, anyway? I think the KTRV ordeal had to do with retransmission consent fees, and the yanking of WCCB's affiliation was more likely than not because Capitol didn't want WRAZ's Fox affiliation yanked...

^Fox can't buy WMYD outright. Detroit already has one duopoly (WWJ/WKBD) and anything more would violate the eight voices rule.

FOX pulled its affiliation from XETV (and then joined KSWB) because, if I remember correctly, FOX executives had issues with being on a station whose license and transmitter are based in Mexico. That, and the incompetent former Tribune chairman Sam Zell aggresively pursued FOX as XETV came up for renewal. Remember, he was no fan of The CW network.

You are absolutely right about FOX not being able to acquire WMYD. The only way that could happen is if WMYD is termed a "failing station."

Again, FOX could be happy with KTVU. It still doesn't matter. If Media General puts KRON on the block, KTVU's days as an affiliate are over. I bet FOX was also happy with WCCB. And XETV. And KTRV (Boise, Idaho). They are all gone or about to be gone. FOX is going to go where they believe the money is. And if it means going to an irrelevant station like KRON, then so be it.

That's still baseless and myopic speculation. Young has been trying to get rid of KRON by putting it up for sale for several years. What happened? Nobody was interested, because it's a shell of TV station with crappy facilities and is the lowest-rated newscast in the entire market. Now that they've finally sold it to Media General along with the entire group, the last thing Media General will do is turn around and sell it to someone else. And it's crazy to assume that Fox wouldn't be happy with KTVU, which is #1 in almost all timeslots. Sure, crazier things have happened, but it doesn't make logical or financial sense to presume that any broadcast group other than the one that just bought KRON would see any incentive or value in significantly investing in an otherwise lost station.

FOX pulled its affiliation from XETV (and then joined KSWB) because, if I remember correctly, FOX executives had issues with being on a station whose license and transmitter are based in Mexico. That, and the incompetent former Tribune chairman Sam Zell aggresively pursued FOX as XETV came up for renewal. Remember, he was no fan of The CW network.

You are absolutely right about FOX not being able to acquire WMYD. The only way that could happen is if WMYD is termed a "failing station."

Absolutely right, and keep in mind that FOX fist approached KSWB/Tribune to have it become a FOX affiliate but they rejected the offer. FOX then went to KUSI and when Sam Zell found out that Tribune execs had rejected FOX's offer he called up the FOX execs and negotiated the affiliation agreement. Needless to say that things got nowhere with KUSI and now FOX is on KSWB. But back to the topic, FOX has been itching to get into NFL markets where NFC teams are located and in the Bay Area you have the 49ers and Raiders. Just like they did in Charlotte, FOX would like to do in the Bay Area.

Fox would more likely buy KNTV and make KFXI - Those are brand new facilities in San Jose and the Silicon Valley is Republican territory. KRON is in Liberal SF and NBC who has always wanted that channel 4 could work a deal with their buddies at MG.

The likely scenario if it pans out is My Network would go to the Perfect 36 (KICU) Cable 6 and or a combo with KTVU if Fox stays with Cox.

Archived