Media General, Young to merge

NewsMaster

I also wonder if the Young stations will get new logos similar to the Media General stations?

More important question to ask would be whether Young's stations dump those GO graphics in favor of the WCMH look that MG has slowly been rolling out to their stations or vice versa. Or whether MG's stations get WKRN's set.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More important question to ask would be whether Young's stations dump those GO graphics in favor of the WCMH look that MG has slowly been rolling out to their stations or vice versa. Or whether MG's stations get WKRN's set.

Graphics-wise, I think eventually all of the Young stations will have some form of the Media General package(s), but that's not ruling out the possibility of a new package being commissioned by MGFX in the future (similar to WNCN).

As for news sets, both groups use FX and have similar set designs, so I don't see too many dramatic changes happening on that end (even though some of the MG stations are in need of new ones).

I don't think WNCN is using a new package. If you look closely the package moves the same way as the WCMH package and the music is the same. The only difference is is that it uses a triangle theme instead of a circle theme because the station is located in "the Triangle" and a different font. Otherwise it looks pretty much the same to me.

But seriously, nobody knows how to run an independent station like Sinclair. They can make money on KRON where others can't.

Fun to speculate, isn't it?

WJTC in Mobile is their lone independent station (as of right now). Of the three net-let stations in the area (WFGX, WJTC and WFNA), WJTC is the most established, has the best syndicated programming, and leads the ratings out of those three. Having UPN until 1996 helped matters, but the stations' cause has been helped with keeping a large library of programs, movies, airing SEC sports, and doing local high school football in the fall.

Compared to the other two, WFNA (started as WBPG) signed on in 2001 to bring the WB to the entire market because at the time, WFGX served the Fort Walton Beach area and barely reached Pensacola, despite being run out of sister station WEAR (both owned by Sinclair as well). In the affiliation sweepstakes when UPN and WB merged, WBPG landed the CW and WFGX (an independent since they lost the WB) was part of a group deal with Sinclair for MyNetworkTV. It would be another 4 years before WFGX could reach the entire market area, when they moved their tower to WEAR's and achieved coverage that rivaled its competitors.

Under Sinclair, I guess we'll see how they program WJTC, but due to their arrangement with Deerfield, this may be limited, as Deerfield "technically" has the upper hand on this one...

But to steer this thread back on track, Media General is going to likely KEEP KRON. If they can keep it profitable, that's the most important thing to them.

WJTC in Mobile is their lone independent station (as of right now). Of the three net-let stations in the area (WFGX, WJTC and WFNA), WJTC is the most established, has the best syndicated programming, and leads the ratings out of those three. Having UPN until 1996 helped matters, but the stations' cause has been helped with keeping a large library of programs, movies, airing SEC sports, and doing local high school football in the fall.

But to steer this thread back on track, Media General is going to likely KEEP KRON. If they can keep it profitable, that's the most important thing to them.

what I was trying to convey was that the Sinclair not only built a pretty large outfit on the backs of a few independent stations, but I don't really consider CW and My TV stations to be that much different than running independents. They're all bare bones operations and Sinclair seems to excel at running operations like that. Love or hate Sinclair, you have to be pretty impressed by anybody that can take 3 crappy independent stations and turn them into such a large empire over the course of a generation.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily a Sinclair fanboy. I just remember how crappy from a production standpoint WTTE used to be and I am thoroughly impressed with what they've been able to put together over time. I also respect them because it's an engineering based company and they like to invest in technology. Besides, I'd rather have engineers running a company than bankers (Clear Channel) any day of the week.

But considering how boring TV is these days, I don't really see that anybody is a quality operator anymore. Even corporate TV had its share of characters back in the 1960s and 1970s. Now its all corporate suits running the show and corporate media is about as exciting as walking into your local Sears store.

MG will probably run KRON as cheap as possible with a minimum of investment, and that will help keep it profitable.

MG will probably run KRON as cheap as possible with a minimum of investment, and that will help keep it profitable.

If there is one investment MG can make to this station, hopefully it'll be to reinstate their news chopper. It is embarrassing that a station in the 6th biggest DMA has to rely on KGO for helicopter footage (and as part of the agreement they have to use the circle 7 when they refer to it graphically, blatant advertising for a competitor).

A new set (they've had the current one for 10 years) wouldn't hurt either.

Compared to the other two, WFNA (started as WBPG) signed on in 2001 to bring the WB to the entire market because at the time, WFGX served the Fort Walton Beach area and barely reached Pensacola, despite being run out of sister station WEAR (both owned by Sinclair as well). In the affiliation sweepstakes when UPN and WB merged, WBPG landed the CW and WFGX (an independent since they lost the WB) was part of a group deal with Sinclair for MyNetworkTV. It would be another 4 years before WFGX could reach the entire market area, when they moved their tower to WEAR's and achieved coverage that rivaled its competitors.

Under Sinclair, I guess we'll see how they program WJTC, but due to their arrangement with Deerfield, this may be limited, as Deerfield "technically" has the upper hand on this one...

What do you mean by as Deerfield "Technically" has the upper hand with WJTC? As far as I know, there is a local marking agreement with WEAR/WFGX to handle programming.

and usually, this ends up in the Sinclair...Again blog part of website.

What do you mean by as Deerfield "Technically" has the upper hand with WJTC? As far as I know, there is a local marking agreement with WEAR/WFGX to handle programming.

Yes, but when Newport announced that it was selling five of its stations (including WPMI/WJTC) to Sinclair, Sinclair in turn sold 'PMI/'JTC to Deerfield since they already had a duopoly in the area (by owning notorious WEAR/WFGX outright). "Technically" Deerfield owns them, giving them the "upper hand", but Sinclair operates the two stations under an LMA, meaning they control four stations in the Pensacola/Mobile market.

https://stations.fcc.gov/collect/files/11906/Joint%20sales%20agreements/WPMI%20WJTC%20JSA%20SSA%20Redacted%20(13578561622524).pdf

This is a redacted copy of the JSA (Joint Sales Agreement) between Deerfield Media and Sinclair posted on the FCC's public file site for WPMI-TV.

To put it simply, outside of newscasts, Deerfield is responsible for programming the station....and there's a good chance one of THEIR employees is responsible for this, since licensees are required to have a minimum number of employees on the payroll for FCC purposes.

Sinclair is responsible for staffing, running, and selling the station for the licensee....in accordance with FCC policy.

If there is one investment MG can make to this station, hopefully it'll be to reinstate their news chopper. It is embarrassing that a station in the 6th biggest DMA has to rely on KGO for helicopter footage (and as part of the agreement they have to use the circle 7 when they refer to it graphically, blatant advertising for a competitor).

A new set (they've had the current one for 10 years) wouldn't hurt either.

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Just look at how MG treats WFLA (its flagship). Still has the same dated graphics and desperately needs a new set. If MG won't spend that kind of money on WFLA, I don't see why they would with KRON.

I'm just wondering if they might dissolve the news department. Does KRON News still perform in the ratings in the Bay Area?

When does Media General & Young Broadcasting's "marriage" become consummated ? as in blessed by the FCC

First it has to get the greenlight from the FCC, before it get consummated. And before that, they have to file that paperwork to the FCC. Given that the paperwork was just filed and was posted on the FCC site on Friday, with a major group deal, it would take at least 2-6 months to get the greenlight. Once the FCC grant those Assignment of License/Transfer of Control applications, they have 90 days to consummate the transaction. Now at some point those 90 days elapsed, they could file an extension of consummation, extending another 90 days, but for the big groups, those filings are very seldom.

You may have VHF and UHF backwards...

That isn't going to happen, because WVIT and WTVJ both recently got some major upgrades by NBC, especially WTVJ whom has been revitalized from the crap that it was.

Honestly, MG is better off shutting down KRON, taking the loss, and relinquishing the station's frequency to the FCC.

This.

I've been sitting back and reading what MG might do with KRON.

It been suggested that they Trade KRON for a few Sinclair station including WWHO. As someone on the ground in Columbus.... IT AIN'T HAPPENING!

WBNS tried to get WWHO about a couple of years ago before Sinclair came in and bought it and WCMH before it in the 90's. I don't see WWHO leaving Sinclair anytime soon unless MG flash some major cash with KRON.

To be honest MG will "invest" in the news product. Please note I did use the quotation marks because I've seen how MG invest in stations. To be honest at least Sinclair is showing effort with their stations. I can't say the same about MG has made WCMH a Joke and a Non-Factor in the Columbus market. from what I've heard KRON used to be a factor in the market until Young crapped the bed in how they manage the station and the product... I expect that to continue with KRON under MG.

If they are trading KRON... Look for major players that would love to get the Bay Area and Sinclair don't want to be in the Bay Area. I'm looking at FOX, Gannett or a dark horse That would want a duopoly in the bay area and has experience with such a situation in other major markets (NY, LA, Boston) I'm throwing CBS out there maybe keeping KRON as a MNTV or moving as a Indie in the style of WLNY, KCAL, or even WSBK. They there might be issues but I can take a guess that KRON isn't a top 6 station in the Bay Area.

I'm throwing CBS out there maybe keeping KRON as a MNTV or moving as a Indie in the style of WLNY, KCAL, or even WSBK. They there might be issues but I can take a guess that KRON isn't a top 6 station in the Bay Area.

CBS already owns KBCW 44, the Bay Area's CW affiliate. They could, in theory, try to swap it for KRON and get a more prominent dial position for the CW and take out a competitor to KPIX.

But then again, KRON can hardly be considered a "competitor". The news department is barely a shell of what it once was. It has little to no impact on the ratings. The 11pm newscast routinely draws hash marks, and other time slots don't fare better either. And their coverage of the airliner crash was simply unwatchable.

KRON and KNTV were discussing a shared services agreement a few years back, but it ultimately never came to fruition. Perhaps Media General takes a second look at such an arrangement?

Best thing would be for Media General to keep KRON and pour some serious money into that operation. I like KRON, and I think they have potential. I would rather watch them than watch KGO (the WORST of the ABC O&Os, they are run like a small market station and the only thing they have going for them is their chopper which everyone seems to want to use). MG should also oust Aaron Pero as ND (who's not exactly well liked in the KRON newsroom and regularly verbally abuses his employees and also feuds with the GM quite frequently).

Reinstate the chopper, new set, new music, massive advertising campaign, improve the quality of the journalism, hire better talent, reinstate some photographers and traditional reporters along with MMJs (or as Media General calls them, "Digital Journalists"), convert to full HD, switch to site to Worldnow (costs nothing since they already have a contract with them), and don't rely so much on infomercials. The turnaround will be a little slow but they can get there. The best news product in the Bay Area is far and away KTVU (yes, even though they made a huge mistake I forgive them). Then KPIX, KNTV/KRON (about the same), then KGO (worst; most painful to watch). Also don't get rid ofmy favorite segment on that station, "People Behaving Badly with Stanley Roberts". It's neat and informative. They do have to make some investment up front to make them more competitive. I have faith in them. They have a lot going for them though. They'll get there in due time.

Best of luck KRON!

p.s. I hope the new company will dump the job titles "Digital Journalists" for MMJs and "Director of Digital Journalism" for News Directors and just call them what they are. I don't know which genius came up with that...

^^^

I agree that they sorely need some investment in infrastructure and resources. It'd be great to see them go back to being a real news channel that people may actually want to watch, though I've also wondered what it would be like if they went in another direction. I've always thought that a theoretical newscast with the same content of alternative local newspapers — hard news, politics, and emphasis on local art, culture, and entertainment, along with a big web presence — would have some appeal, especially to younger viewers and viewers in the Bay Area. That's too radical of an idea for Media General though. Or almost anyone.

Knowing that this is a true merger with Young and that they now will be able to restructure their debt, I don't see much changing with KRON, though we can always hope.

P.S. What's so objectionable about KGO? I admittedly don't watch them much, but aside from their relatively stale presentation and anchors, I don't see much wrong with their reporting of local news. They're not the best, that's for sure, but I don't think I would say that they're the worst. The only ones I can't stand are KRON and KNTV.

I'm throwing CBS out there maybe keeping KRON as a MNTV or moving as a Indie in the style of WLNY, KCAL, or even WSBK. They there might be issues but I can take a guess that KRON isn't a top 6 station in the Bay Area.

CBS already owns KBCW 44, the Bay Area's CW affiliate. They could, in theory, try to swap it for KRON and get a more prominent dial position for the CW and take out a competitor to KPIX.

CBS would have to divest their entire radio division in order to get KRON and retain KBCW. As much as people have been spreading rumors of Cumulus buying CBS Radio, Cumulus would have to sell their entire cluster to get the CBS cluster (both of which are maxed out) which makes it a non-starter. And no one else is either capable or willing to buy CBS Radio.

The only way CBS gets KRON is if they immediately divest KBCW. And I have to ask, why?

P.S. What's so objectionable about KGO? I admittedly don't watch them much, but aside from their relatively stale presentation and anchors, I don't see much wrong with their reporting of local news. They're not the best, that's for sure, but I don't think I would say that they're the worst. The only ones I can't stand are KRON and KNTV.

Quality of the reporting is bad. Most of the stories they cover, you would expect a small market station to report them but not a station in the number six DMA. They cover news that appeals to the lowest common denominator: crime, fires, crashes, traffic, fluff; more than real news. The personalities (mainly the morning and evening anchors) are awful. KGO is a shell of its former self and Bay Area viewers would rather watch this crap than KRON who actually manages to put out a good product given their mismanagement from corporate and therefore limited resources. Sad.

Also, KRON has more Facebook likes than KNTV and KPIX combined so HA! :D

Best thing would be for Media General to keep KRON and pour some serious money into that operation. I like KRON, and I think they have potential. I would rather watch them than watch KGO (the WORST of the ABC O&Os, they are run like a small market station and the only thing they have going for them is their chopper which everyone seems to want to use).

Wow. If KGO is a small-market station, then KRON is a pathetic attempt at high school public access or worse. And yeah, KGO is sticking it to KRON and loving it, by making KRON "talent" say "this is video from our helicopter partnership with ABC 7 News" every time the KGO chopper is on KRON's air.

Reinstate the chopper, new set, new music, massive advertising campaign, improve the quality of the journalism, hire better talent, reinstate some photographers and traditional reporters along with MMJs (or as Media General calls them, "Digital Journalists"), convert to full HD, switch to site to Worldnow (costs nothing since they already have a contract with them), and don't rely so much on infomercials.

I'm sorry but I just don't see MG doing ANY of this, partly because there are so many holdovers from Young on the board, and they are without question some of the cheapest people in the business. My guess is things will stay just the way they are. Meet the new boss: same as the old boss.

MG should also oust Aaron Pero as ND (who's not exactly well liked in the KRON newsroom and regularly verbally abuses his employees and also feuds with the GM quite frequently).

This. A thousand billion times this. The asst. ND is just as bad and just as deserving to get the boot. The GM was reportedly let go before the merger was announced, so that's a step in the right direction, because he wasn't any better. Even if MG doesn't put a dime into infastructure and equipment, they can dramatically improve the product and morale in the newsroom by installing new leadership. If anything the atmosphere would be far less toxic and hostile, and long-suffering staffers can finally enjoy a breath of fresh air.

Quality of the reporting is bad. Most of the stories they cover, you would expect a small market station to report them but not a station in the number six DMA. They cover news that appeals to the lowest common denominator: crime, fires, crashes, traffic, fluff; more than real news. The personalities (mainly the morning and evening anchors) are awful. KGO is a shell of its former self and Bay Area viewers would rather watch this crap than KRON who actually manages to put out a good product given their mismanagement from corporate and therefore limited resources. Sad.

The CBS Local social media pages don't get a lot of attention for some reason.

With the recent goof-up at KTVU I can just imagine what Fox is thinking right now.

I'm sorry but I just don't see MG doing ANY of this, partly because there are so many holdovers from Young on the board, and they are without question some of the cheapest people in the business. My guess is things will stay just the way they are. Meet the new boss: same as the old boss.

They do have money. If they can afford to give out ten bucks everyday on KLFY's "Meet Your Neighbor" for guessing the correct news story of the day when they call your number (it's a Dialing for Dollars type thing they still do today), then they can certainly invest in KRON. Also, it will be George Mahoney running the show, not Deborah McDermott, so they be more inclined to invest in KRON because they invested in WCMH and WNCN after taking control of them. WJAR, WCMH, and WNCN also have fairly new sets. WCMH and WFLA also have news choppers. Never say never.

The CBS Local social media pages don't get a lot of attention for some reason.

With the recent goof-up at KTVU I can just imagine what Fox is thinking right now.

Yeah, I was shocked to see that KPIX (CBS San Francisco) only has 9,000 likes. Probably because the names of the pages are ridculous, not the first thing you would think of when you think of that station. KNTV also suffers from this same problem (NBC Bay Area) and only has 27,000 likes. In contrast, KGO has around 110,000, KTVU 72k, and KRON 55k.

Then again WJZ (CBS Baltimore) has over 100k likes, but they changed the focus of that page from being the CBS Local page from Baltimore to WJZ's FB page. They just didn't change the name but that has certainly helped.

I don't think Fox really cares about that mistake at KTVU. KTVU barely even mentions Fox so most people outside of the Bay Area probably don't even know KTVU is a Fox affiliate (which is good so I don't have to hear these uneducated punks on other online threads mix up Fox News Channel and the local affiliates yet again). This is a one-off mistake and they'll brush off from it and recover. Eventually people will get over it but these stories have at least a 48-hour shelf life so we'll be talking about it until early next week and then KTVU can go back to being a legit news station again.

They do have money. If they can afford to give out ten bucks everyday on KLFY's "Meet Your Neighbor" for guessing the correct news story of the day when they call your number (it's a Dialing for Dollars type thing they still do today), then they can certainly invest in KRON. Also, it will be George Mahoney running the show, not Deborah McDermott, so they be more inclined to invest in KRON because they invested in WCMH and WNCN after taking control of them. WJAR, WCMH, and WNCN also have fairly new sets. WCMH and WFLA also have news choppers. Never say never.

I'll break it down for you. I compare MG to Sinclair for a good reason. MG like to do thing on the cheap Like Sinclair did up to about a couple years ago. The chopper that WCMH has that you are talking about was bought during when NBC owned them. It still have There "NBC O&O era logo" on it.

Overall, if you are expecting MG to dump any money into KRON.... Don't! It is not what Media General do at all. To be honest that is more "Spend"clair's M.O. At the moment. They are more willing to spend the money to do what it can to get what they want.

Fair enough. I only watch them at 4 p.m. because they're the only ones on at that hour, though I would agree they edge on "if it bleeds, it leads" a little more than, say, KPIX. I'll watch KTVU at night, KPIX if I miss KTVU, and CBS in the morning. I can't stand Dave Clark.

Archived