Media General, Young to merge

NewsMaster

Ummm...what is really all that qusetionable about these three that they need the extra microscope?

Media General/Young is a merger with no real overlaps. So, what's the big deal here?

Tribune/Local TV only has a couple on conflicts because of newspaper cross-ownership rules. Tribune has already stated that the newspapers will be spunoff. WNEP, WGNT & WTKR are going to Dreamcatcher in the interm until the spinoff is complete. The SSA paperwork even has the buyback clause included in it. So, again what's the big deal with this transaction?

Gannett/Belo is the only one that might deserve a little more attention. First the sale of the Louisville (WHAS) & Portland (KGW) stations is due to newspaper cross-ownership rules. Not really a big deal in my mind. On to Tucson, the same deal there with the duopoly of KMSB/KTTU being sold because of newspaper ownership. I haven't heard for sure if the SSA to Raycom/KOLD will continue or not. The Raycom GM there expects it to but I haven't seen anything stating that as fact. So, the situation could technically improve with an "unwinding" of the SSA with Raycom. Otherwise, it's just status quo there as it is now with the virtual triopoly. So, if nothing is really "changing" what's the big deal? Phoenix & St. Louis is where the deal gets sticky. If Gannett was smart they should have tried to swap these with another station group. If they did that it would really be smooth sailing for them.

So all in all we are docketing all of these when only three TOC's (KMOV, KTVK & KASW) really need extra review and scrutiny.

Part of the skeptic of me makes me think Sinclair-friendly bureaucrats put those up as an unfair disadvantage to Media General, Tribune and Gannett...of course that can't be proven though. I agree the first two mentioned should be rubber-stamped, while the Gannett/Belo deserves some scrutiny in spots, mainly Phoenix and St. Louis.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Part of the skeptic of me makes me think Sinclair-friendly bureaucrats put those up as an unfair disadvantage to Media General, Tribune and Gannett...of course that can't be proven though. I agree the first two mentioned should be rubber-stamped, while the Gannett/Belo deserves some scrutiny in spots, mainly Phoenix and St. Louis.

Considering how politically connected Sinclair is compared to the others, it's not that far-fetched.

Considering how politically connected Sinclair is compared to the others, it's not that far-fetched.

Still, the Gannett/Belo deal is not un-amenable. There are only two markets where there is conflict to a serious degree. If they traded the acquiring St. Louis and Phoenix assets with those in another similar market (i.e. 11-25) with no Gannett assets, the deal would be clear sailing. The situation in Tucson is essentially status quo with the Raycom SSA, and the newspaper conflicts are minor in my mind with newspapers going the way of the Dodo bird rapidly (I'd let Gannett proper have KGW and WHAS personally).

Also, I would personally let Tribune proper have the Local TV stations entering newspaper conflicts and erase the need for Dreamcatcher, especially WNEP which is a considerable distance from the newspaper of note (which isn't even in the Scranton-Wilkes-Barre market!).

Still, the Gannett/Belo deal is not un-amenable. There are only two markets where there is conflict to a serious degree. If they traded the acquiring St. Louis and Phoenix assets with those in another similar market (i.e. 11-25) with no Gannett assets, the deal would be clear sailing. The situation in Tucson is essentially status quo with the Raycom SSA, and the newspaper conflicts are minor in my mind with newspapers going the way of the Dodo bird rapidly (I'd let Gannett proper have KGW and WHAS personally).

Also, I would personally let Tribune proper have the Local TV stations entering newspaper conflicts and erase the need for Dreamcatcher, especially WNEP which is a considerable distance from the newspaper of note (which isn't even in the Scranton-Wilkes-Barre market!).

Valid point. Living in St. Louis I'm curious to see how KMOV will run under Sander.

Also, why doesn't Belo/Gannett just sell KMSB and KTTU to Raycom or American Spirit?

Ummm...what is really all that qusetionable about these three that they need the extra microscope?

Media General/Young is a merger with no real overlaps. So, what's the big deal here?

Tribune/Local TV only has a couple on conflicts because of newspaper cross-ownership rules. Tribune has already stated that the newspapers will be spunoff. WNEP, WGNT & WTKR are going to Dreamcatcher in the interm until the spinoff is complete. The SSA paperwork even has the buyback clause included in it. So, again what's the big deal with this transaction?

Gannett/Belo is the only one that might deserve a little more attention. First the sale of the Louisville (WHAS) & Portland (KGW) stations is due to newspaper cross-ownership rules. Not really a big deal in my mind. On to Tucson, the same deal there with the duopoly of KMSB/KTTU being sold because of newspaper ownership. I haven't heard for sure if the SSA to Raycom/KOLD will continue or not. The Raycom GM there expects it to but I haven't seen anything stating that as fact. So, the situation could technically improve with an "unwinding" of the SSA with Raycom. Otherwise, it's just status quo there as it is now with the virtual triopoly. So, if nothing is really "changing" what's the big deal? Phoenix & St. Louis is where the deal gets sticky. If Gannett was smart they should have tried to swap these with another station group. If they did that it would really be smooth sailing for them.

So all in all we are docketing all of these when only three TOC's (KMOV, KTVK & KASW) really need extra review and scrutiny.

What I like to know is that 1) what is your definiton of "unwinding" of the SSA mean? and 2) the docketing has been done so that the FCC can really have input on what to do with the Gannett/Belo deal and how that deal is going to work out.

What I like to know is that 1) what is your definiton of "unwinding" of the SSA mean? and 2) the docketing has been done so that the FCC can really have input on what to do with the Gannett/Belo deal and how that deal is going to work out.

Answered. But, posted my reply in the Gannett to acquire Belo thread as most of it was related to that sale.

• 2 weeks later...

There has been at least one objection filed against the merger by Venture Technologies Group, a company that Young has an SSA with for WHTV in Lansing, MI. They object to Young's new arrangement with Shield Media for WLAJ, claiming that WLAJ does not have an independent management structure from WLNS (Young's station), whereas WHTV has separate management despite being in the SSA with Young, and asks WLAJ and WLNS to certify that WLAJ and WLNS have separate management.

http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/comment/view?id=6017462541

There has been at least one objection filed against the merger by Venture Technologies Group, a company that Young has an SSA with for WHTV in Lansing, MI. They object to Young's new arrangement with Shield Media for WLAJ, claiming that WLAJ does not have an independent management structure from WLNS (Young's station), whereas WHTV has separate management despite being in the SSA with Young, and asks WLAJ and WLNS to certify that WLAJ and WLNS have separate management.

At least WLAJ isn't owned by S******r anymore!

Young has replied their opposition of WHTV's Petition of Deny. One thing it points out that it was speculating how WLAJ operate and the opposition states that its has nothing to do with WLNS's transfer of control, and what this petition of deny is nothing more than a 'baseless diversion of the Commission's resources'.

Young has replied their opposition of WHTV's Petition of Deny. One thing it points out that it was speculating how WLAJ operate and the opposition states that its has nothing to do with WLNS's transfer of control, and what this petition of deny is nothing more than a 'baseless diversion of the Commission's resources'.

Agreed with Young there. It's a status quo situation - there is already a shell in place! They should have complained when Sinclair sold it off to Young...

• 1 month later...

Well y'all, with all these hold ups with those other deals, at least one deal could have a good chance to get finalized before all the others.

rbr.com states that MG will schedule a shareholders vote on the merger on November 7th. Shareholders had to have a piece of the company by this past September 5 to participate in the shareholders vote.

They might want to move it up and do it with the government still shut down, since they would jump to the front of the FCC line once (if) a deal is made. This is the cleanest of the big deals and should be consummated quickly once the FCC is back at work.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I can see one reason why Media General would be willing to sell KRON...

According to something I read, the station is worth about $100 Million and their building is worth about $100 to 150 million. $250 million would get them WTVJ don't you think?

Why would MG want WTVJ?

Complements WFLA, growing market, wealthy Broward County ... why did NBC want to be there?

NBC 30 is another option, but don't know how attractive the station is. Looks good clustered with stations in Albany and Providence. Strictly looking at this from the standpoint that these stations are easier to manage if they are geographically close.

And why would Comcast/NBC want to sell it? They made a serious investment into its news product and likely made the station worth keeping.

They're touring KRON aren't they? MG has something they want, NBC is in a market they are lukewarm about.

NBC sold four stations to MG before, why not work a trade? If I were MG, I want to improve my position. KRON brings in $31 million a year so that means it makes about $10 or $12 million. I want something that will replace that $10 million if I'm MG, not to mention that trading stations means nobody has to pay tax on a sale (like-kind exchange), unless MG wants to take a loss on KRON for tax reasons that is.

Complements WFLA, growing market, wealthy Broward County ... why did NBC want to be there?

NBC 30 is another option, but don't know how attractive the station is. Looks good clustered with stations in Albany and Providence. Strictly looking at this from the standpoint that these stations are easier to manage if they are geographically close.

NBC wanted to be there because WSVN its previous affiliate pre-empted too many shows (for NBC standards in the 80's).

Don't think they want to sell WVIT anymore, especially after building them a nice new building. But if they had to sell WVIT my money would be on Sinclair buying them.

They're touring KRON aren't they? MG has something they want, NBC is in a market they are lukewarm about.

Fair point. I had figured NBC had decided to stick it out in Miami, but I could be wrong.

Here's the question I have about KRON, though: What does NBC get out of buying it that they don't currently get with KNTV?

If they do buy it, I hope they simply do a facilities swap a la WFOR/WTVJ, then turn around and sell channel 11... and possibly send the old KRON building off with it. But it seems like a lot of work when the transmitters aren't even that far apart from each other, KNTV is carried on cable and satellite... and the "NBC Bay Area" branding doesn't include call letters.

If Media General don't want KRON 4, give to LIN, COX, Nexstar, or Gannett.

LIN probably doesn't want them, because most of their stations are mid-market. Cox can't without a shell (remember they have KICU as well), and they probably have ZERO interest in KRON. Nexstar, yeah right. Gannett is the only logical one but I don't think they're interested.

LIN probably doesn't want them, because most of their stations are mid-market. Cox can't without a shell (remember they have KICU as well), and they probably have ZERO interest in KRON. Nexstar, yeah right. Gannett is the only logical one but I don't think they're interested.

I think Media General will just hold it but not do much to it (i.e. not make a strong investment) until someone else comes knocking.

I think it is either O&O duopoly bait or Sinclair bait if they want another top-10 market.

Archived