Media General, Young to merge

NewsMaster

Maybe because he wants KRON to be NBC so bad. Similar to some folks who want WCAU to be CBS again....

People like that never made any sense to me.

I mean I live in St. Louis and I still remember when KTVI was the ABC affiliate. But even considering the excellent job Sinclair has done in destroying ABC's presence in this market with KDNL, I don't get all romantic and wish that the ABC affiliation went back to KTVI. It's been Fox 2 for nearly 20 years and has still become an important fixture of the community even with the affiliation switch. I just wish KDNL had better ownership more than anything else.

I imagine that there are a lot of people like me in the Bay Area who are fine with NBC being on KNTV, they probably just wish that NBC/Comcast would stop doing a half-ass job and actually invest into the station similar to what they did with WTVJ in Miami.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why wouldn't Fox just buy KRON outright and leave NBC out of the picture?

And I'm telling you guys again. Fox has NO relationship with MG, NBC does. If NBC wants it and they can arrive at a price, its theirs. NBC can do them favors, even if its Brian Williams doing the news from Mobile. Fox can give them nothing but money.

Yes, best deal wins.

But if the deals are equal, your buddies win. Trust me, I've been involved in transactions before.

NBC may not want it. But if they're kicking the tires for the 40th time, it looks like they do.

Why wouldn't Fox just buy KRON outright and leave NBC out of the picture?

And I'm telling you guys again. Fox has NO relationship with MG, NBC does. If NBC wants it and they can arrive at a price, its theirs. NBC can do them favors, even if its Brian Williams doing the news from Mobile. Fox can give them nothing but money.

Yes, best deal wins.

But if the deals are equal, your buddies win. Trust me, I've been involved in transactions before.

NBC may not want it. But if they're kicking the tires for the 40th time, it looks like they do.

I don't get all romantic and wish that the ABC affiliation went back to KTVI.

I don't get romantic about such things either. Nevertheless, some brands have value and others don't.

Example: BP going back to Amoco and Sohio and Boron would be a huge home run. The Gulf Oil and Texaco brands are back in Texas in a big way because people had fond reputations and it was a good brand.

KRON is such a brand.

But this is still driven in my mind by two things: 1) San Francisco base; 2) UHF signal.

So why wouldn't Fox just buy KRON outright and leave NBC out of the picture if having a UHF signal is that important?

Because... uh... Fox may be happy with remaining on KTVU, in spite of 1) it being just an affiliate, 2) not following most branding conventions, and 3) they are turned off by all the downsides that KRON possess, having been removed from the Chronicle 13 years ago, and having been removed from any sense of competitiveness some 7-8 years ago.

Yes, best deal wins.

Or NBC is just looking at KRON, then leaving the building with a big smile on their face thinking, "we have it made with our OWN multimillion dollar investment at KNTV."

At this point I'm ready to see the latest iteration of the "Why did CBS sell WCAU?" thread pop up.

Well, call me back when NBC actually does something, which I think they won't budge. Just the same as you wanted to see CBS move from 62 to some Canadian allotment.

A signal is a signal. What's the difference between a station in Newport KY being a Cincinnati station and one in Windsor operated via LMA?

CBC 62 and CBS 9. Or swap allotments like the North Dakota station that went to Winnepeg.

Sinclair got to be where they are by thinking out of the box!

Maybe because he wants KRON to be NBC so bad. Similar to some folks who want WCAU to be CBS again....

Or who want WBZ to be NBC again, with CBS on WHDH.

[CBS on a Sunbeam station. Think about that.]

I don't get romantic about such things either. Nevertheless, some brands have value and others don't.

Example: BP going back to Amoco and Sohio and Boron would be a huge home run. The Gulf Oil and Texaco brands are back in Texas in a big way because people had fond reputations and it was a good brand.

KRON is such a brand.

But this is still driven in my mind by two things: 1) San Francisco base; 2) UHF signal.

The KRON brand was destroyed by a decade of Young mismanagement. Not just destroyed, but decimated, humiliated, laughed-out-of-the-building wiping-out-of-your-head destroyed.

I'm referring to how WMUR was made a laughingstock in its' home market back in the 60s and 70s because of a cheap owner. Look it up. It took a long time for that brand to be rebuilt, but it did under Hearst, and WMUR is now a successful and well-regarded station. But a station like KRON needs a solid owner with a lot of patience to help rebuild them.

I don't see that with either NBC or Fox. They have the money, but won't be patient to deal with such a rehab. MG might actually surprise everyone and actually invest into KRON to make it a news-heavy independent. After all, the only direction they can go is up.

Just because Fox doesn't have a relationship with Media General now doesn't mean it can't have one in the future.

But is it to replace KNTV or KSTS?

A signal is a signal. What's the difference between a station in Newport KY being a Cincinnati station and one in Windsor operated via LMA?

CBC 62 and CBS 9. Or swap allotments like the North Dakota station that went to Winnepeg.

There is a difference between "thinking out of the box" and thinking like that. The FCC deletion of KCND/Pembina in exchange for the CRTC issuing a license for CKND was something that was in the best interests of the seller, the buyer (who was NOT the Canadian government-owned CBC) and the viewing public. It. Just. Does. Not. Happen.

That you continue to insist that CBS and the CBC make such a ridiculous, impossible and borderline illegal cross-country swap is actually troubling to read.

Yeah, Massa David thought outside the box alright. By Over-compulsively Stealfielding and Cunningrabbing left and right. Yeah that's thinking outside the box alright, while you call that old dirty bastard smart.

Anywho, back to what you said about a "Signal is a Signal". While UHF is great in these urban areas and such. But what I've said before, are you seeing NBC budging in getting KRON? Are you seeing CBS budging trying to acquire an allotment from an adjacent country (which the network would never do in these cases)? Hell No. They are spending their capital on other things. And I doubt they are going to be doing any of those things because you want them to.

The KRON brand was destroyed by a decade of Young mismanagement. Not just destroyed, but decimated, humiliated, laughed-out-of-the-building wiping-out-of-your-head destroyed.

I'm referring to how WMUR was made a laughingstock in its' home market back in the 60s and 70s because of a cheap owner. Look it up. It took a long time for that brand to be rebuilt, but it did under Hearst, and WMUR is now a successful and well-regarded station. But a station like KRON needs a solid owner with a lot of patience to help rebuild them.

I don't see that with either NBC or Fox. They have the money, but won't be patient to deal with such a rehab. MG might actually surprise everyone and actually invest into KRON to make it a news-heavy independent. After all, the only direction they can go is up.

And you know what, I hope that happens too. They will be that white elephant in the room, but if there is a slight turn around, I would be satisfied with that. Like you stated, there's no other direction to turn to but up. If Fox does acquire KRON, they still have to do some heavy investing, like there doing in Charlotte. And as many have said, you don't see NBC budging and trying to get KRON. So despite you are making some good points, I don't see NBC wasting time or capital acquiring, because you want to see KRON go back as NBC or what they want to do with it, etc.

Because... uh... Fox may be happy with remaining on KTVU, in spite of 1) it being just an affiliate, 2) not following most branding conventions, and 3) they are turned off by all the downsides that KRON possess, having been removed from the Chronicle 13 years ago, and having been removed from any sense of competitiveness some 7-8 years ago.

Or NBC is just looking at KRON, then leaving the building with a big smile on their face thinking, "we have it made with our OWN multimillion dollar investment at KNTV."

At this point I'm ready to see the latest iteration of the "Why did CBS sell WCAU?" thread pop up.

I agree that it's not likely that Fox will buy KRON, but I do think it's more likely that Fox would buy KRON than NBC buying KRON (which isn't very likely).

And whatever relationship NBC has with MG is irrelevant. If Fox really wanted KRON, they would go to MG and try to buy KRON themselves. They don't need an intermediary.

True. Exploiting a loophole (regardless of what Sinclair claims) that radio stations used to own more than one station in a market technically is "thinking outside of the box".

That you continue to insist that CBS and the CBC make such a ridiculous, impossible and borderline illegal cross-country swap is actually troubling to read.

Not to mention that the CRTC would stop any deal like that in a heartbeat. Plus ticking off local Windsor viewers who get CBC from CBET probably isn't going to win anyone over either.

Long story short, this idea is even more stupid than NBC buying KRON.

Just wanted to bold this for emphasis because I agree with you 100%. Going back to NBC isn't going to magically fix that.

Is KTVU inferior because it's based in Oakland? Is KGO inferior because it has a VHF signal?

No, both stations kick KNTV and KRON's butt because it offers high quality journalism which draws in a lot of viewers in addition to a strong and consistent brand.

Moving back to KRON doesn't magically fix all of that.

I totally agree with this. Brand alone means nothing. Brand is like a good looking woman. The looks pique your interest, but if she's a crappy person, you quickly lose interest. But if you have a good brand and the product to back it up, then you have a home run.

Living in a former NBC O&O market and adjacent to another former one (Cleveland), I'm not very impressed with how they run their stations. They do tend to be erratic and they pull the plug on things prematurely.

I was looking for examples of brands that have been brought back from the dead and near dead: Apple, Lucky Stores, Lego, Volkswagen (in the US), Westinghouse (name licensed by CBS, which owns and licenses the name), Screen Gems, Crosley, Chevy Impala, Chevy Malibu, Chevy Caprice, Ford Taurus, Chrysler 300, Dodge Dart and the list goes on ...

While UHF is great in these urban areas and such. But what I've said before, are you seeing NBC budging in getting KRON? Are you seeing CBS budging trying to acquire an allotment from an adjacent country (which the network would never do in these cases)? Hell No.

If David Smith had a station he needed to upgrade, I bet he'd figure out a way to get it done. ;)

If David Smith had a station he needed to upgrade, I bet he'd figure out a way to get it done. ;)

Get what done? What does this devil have anything to do with KRON, KNTV, or any other stations we'd talk about on this very thread? And what shit has this luciferian creative done, since acquiring over a century mark of stations these past 25 months? He hasn't gotten shit done while he's been gutting stations left and right after acquisition, until it's left with nothing. You make no sense. But you can continue to defend this Massa David and devilish Sincrap clan all you want, as you call this devil smart.

I totally agree with this. Brand alone means nothing. Brand is like a good looking woman. The looks pique your interest, but if she's a crappy person, you quickly lose interest. But if you have a good brand and the product to back it up, then you have a home run.

Living in a former NBC O&O market and adjacent to another former one (Cleveland), I'm not very impressed with how they run their stations. They do tend to be erratic and they pull the plug on things prematurely.

I was looking for examples of brands that have been brought back from the dead and near dead: Apple, Lucky Stores, Lego, Volkswagen (in the US), Westinghouse (name licensed by CBS, which owns and licenses the name), Screen Gems, Crosley, Chevy Impala, Chevy Malibu, Chevy Caprice, Ford Taurus, Chrysler 300, Dodge Dart and the list goes on ...

WKYC was an afterthought throughout the 70s and 80s. NBC was forced back there by court order in 1965, and clearly acted as such. Yes, there were long-standing reporters and talent (Del Donahoo, Tom Haley, Joe Mosbrook, Tom Beres and Jim Donovan - the latter two of which are still there), but they treated it mainly as a "farm team" station for up-and-coming talent along the network. (Hello, Al Roker.) It wasn't until Multimedia purchased majority control of WKYC that the station finally was able to build up respect in the market. Today, as a Gannett outlet, they do quite well considering the struggles NBC has been in overall.

At least NBC treated WCMH adequately in comparison.

As much as those revived brands mean, the KRON brand is more in line with Studebaker, DuMont, Schlitz and Blatz. Brands that had meaning in the past, but faded into obscurity from which never to return.

Get what done? What does this devil have anything to do with KRON, KNTV, or any other stations we'd talk about on this very thread? And what shit has this luciferian creative done, since acquiring over a century mark of stations these past 25 months? He hasn't gotten shit done while he's been gutting stations left and right after acquisition, until it's left with nothing. You make no sense. But you can continue to defend this Massa David and devilish Sincrap clan all you want, as you call this devil smart.

How many stations do you own again? :)

How many stations do you own again? :)

No. How many times do you defending this devil again? That's what I'm talking about. Defending this bastard. Which all he does is Cunningrabbing and Stealfielding left and right. Close to 120 already in his plate, and haven't done any investing in the stations that he already had. The 57 stations he already owned or managed before that M&A craziness. But you defend this devil, calling him smart. What smart thing has he done, trying to own everything but the kitchen sink? He hasn't done anything that was noteworthy, other than buying a dying antenna manufacturer, that's it. This buying every airspace ain't nothing more than impulsive & compulsive in his pee-brain of his.

And you call this devil SMART!!!! :angry: :bang: :mad:

And if you think Sincrap would want any station in the San Francisco Bay Area, Uh, I pray for you.

And my sympathies go out to the folks in Seattle & Portland that were succumbed by the ax from those devils. But I can't say I didn't see this coming. I knew once we heard Sincrap acquiring it from the start that layoffs would've been forthcoming. I wished people would've revolted before those devils took over.

And if you think Sincrap would want any station in the San Francisco Bay Area, Uh, I pray for you.

Just to drive people like you crazy, I would love to see David Smith figure out how to legally do a 20-opoly, buy up all the stations in San Francisco area, move them into the same building, and show the same news cast on all of them! Haters!

Archived