Media General, Young to merge

NewsMaster

Have Media General ever had an full screen copyright slate graphic in the end, similar to like Nexstar, Belo or Tribune?

If not, I could see them doing that in the future for all the stations involved.

I don't think that is happening as they have never done it before but that Media General logo has to be coming to those closing L3 very soon.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know which ND needs to be canned next? Aaron Pero at KRON and his assistant ND Stacey Baier. If I'm not mistaken KRON currently does not have a GM. Time to clean house there.

Former KTVU assistant ND Janice Gin is now working at KRON. Not sure if Stacey is still around or what Janice's title actually is these days. I think everything over there will be in a holding pattern until Media General figures out WTF they want to do with that place now that the sale has been approved.

• 1 month later...

Media General and Charter are in the middle of a dispute that could result in the loss of Media General stations on Charter systems on January 8th.

I wanted to include it in this thread since this will be the first dispute that Media General has with the newly acquired Young stations, in which quite a few of them are in Charter's footprint.

http://www.news10.com/story/24356549/dont-drop-charter

• 1 month later...

From what we are reading in the local media blog there appears to be a multitude of issues that are holding up a possible purchase of KRON or KTVU by Fox. KTVU is Cox Broadcasting's cash cow despite the recent events of 2013 and KRON and Media General are not say anything period regarding this issue.

He's probably referencing Rich Lieberman's blog:

http://richliebermanreport.blogspot.com/

*Fox desperately wants to buy a SF station --we've talked about this here many times, so their continued, hardy pursuit of, potentially, KRON, or KTVU continues to make the rounds. Why so desperate? Because as you just saw that 111 million people watched the Super Bowl and how the NFL is king, that's why. Beyond that, Fox isn't thrilled with its KTVU affiliation because of how KTVU has been performing of late. An irony: Cox Media, which owns KTVU is also less than pleased either, but KTVU is Cox' cash cow. Before any real deal were to transpire there exists a multitude of issues, money is not one of them. Stay tuned.

I suppose I could see it happen, but then again, Rich Liberman isn't exactly known for keeping his opinions out of his blog rants, nor is he really known for using critical thinking.

I suppose I could see it happen, but then again, Rich Liberman isn't exactly known for keeping his opinions out of his blog rants, nor is he really known for using critical thinking.

He's also been pushing this rumor for as long as I can remember with little or anything to back it up.

Rich Lieberman has also claimed for years that Cumulus is set to buy the entirety of CBS's radio operations. Never mind that no deal has ever been announced, and the regulatory hurdles would too numerous to make it happen.

This is enough to automatically discredit Rich on literally anything.

So... in conclusion, Fox is not interested in KRON. I'm 99.9999999999999% sure of it.

Some sort of major meeting will take place early Monday afternoon February 10th at KRON. Whenever a meeting of this magnitude where all hands on deck happens some major announcement will be made...anyone have any clue as to what might happen?

Some sort of major meeting will take place early Monday afternoon February 10th at KRON. Whenever a meeting of this magnitude where all hands on deck happens some major announcement will be made...anyone have any clue as to what might happen?

They are moving in with KGO.

Huh...didn't see that coming.

So I wonder if this means that the KGO-produced newscasts on KOFY will go away in favor of ones for KRON. Because I find it hard to believe that there won't be some overlap of operations if they're going to be in the same building.

Mike Malone says KRON "will remain an independent station." Only problem with that statement is that they are not independent. They are a MyNetwork TV affiliate.

Yes, without being familiar with the San Francisco market, I'd have to imagine KGO would start producing for KRON instead of KOFY.

This would presumably eliminate KRON from Fox consideration.

This would presumably eliminate KRON from Fox consideration.

Thank God. Maybe we can finally put all of that pointless speculation to a rest.

No, independent (not meaning a lack of affiliation, which it does), but it means that KRON will stay operated independently, and not jointly with KGO's operations.

It just seems like an odd setup if there really isn't going to be overlap between KRON and KGO. Is there a precedent to this?

Slightly surprising, but it makes a lot of sense. The ABC Broadcast Center at 900 Front Street has quite a bit of open space these days. The ABC Radio/Citadel group (KGO-AM and KSFO) moved out of the building shortly after the Cumulus acquisition closed, which was mostly on the upper floors. Media General is saving a massive amount of money with this move—rather than having to outfit an entirely new building for TV, they are moving KRON into a facility that's already purpose-built for television. Not to mention San Francisco's insane commercial real estate market that would have made it nearly impossible to find anything anyway.

Interestingly enough, it appears as if KGO did today's morning newscast from the newsroom and not the primary studio. Probably means nothing since they've had the current set for years and have given zero indications that it's changing anytime soon.

No, they are right in that it's an independent station - both in ownership and programming.

MyNetworkTV is simply a bunch of off-network reruns that stations that used to be WB or UPN plug into the primetime hours. It's not really a network. PHL 17 uses a modified version of the MyNet logo (a better one, to be frank) but has said, in press releases, that it's an indie. The MyNetwork block gets no promotion at all.

Archived