WKMG Banned from Zimmerman Courtroom

sanewsguy

WKMG Banned from Zimmerman Courtroom

By Kevin Eck on July 12, 2013 3:24 PM

tony_pippitone.jpg

WKMG viewers who were wondering where the CBS affiliate’s Tony Pipitone was during the George Zimmerman murder trial today, can wonder more. WKMG has been banned from the proceedings.

“The WKMG helicopter followed and possibly filmed jurors from the courthouse to their destination yesterday (Thursday),” Michelle Kennedy, court services administrator/PIO told The Orlando Sentinel. “Their courtroom credentials have been revoked while this matter is under review.”

Skip Valet, WKMG general manager told TVSpy, “Someone thought we were taking pictures of the jurors. We were not. We are working with the court to resolve this misunderstanding.”

On its facebook page and station website, WKMG is advertising a live text chat with Pipitone, who had been doing live phone updates inside the courtroom during on-air coverage. We asked Valet how the ban would affect the promotion, but have yet to hear back. We’ll update when we do.

Really? This is ridiculous and I think this is bias against WKMG. I don't know if WESH, WFTV, WOFL have also been flying their chopper. I hope they get this resolved. This is the big story in Florida right now so they're missing history right now.

They could take a cue from WOIO and re-enact the proceedings with puppets.

But to be fair, at least Tony Pipitone didn't suffer a contempt citation like former WOWO/1190 news director Dave Wheaton... for texting updates to the station on his cell phone while IN the courtroom.

Heck, if they are going to punish a local TV station, shouldn't they then ban ALL the cable news channels because they sensationalized the whole thing in the first place?

They could take a cue from WOIO and re-enact the proceedings with puppets.

But to be fair, at least Tony Pipitone didn't suffer a contempt citation like former WOWO/1190 news director Dave Wheaton... for texting updates to the station on his cell phone while IN the courtroom.

Heck, if they are going to punish a local TV station, shouldn't they then ban ALL the cable news channels because they sensationalized the whole thing in the first place?

I really hope so, the only thing CNN covers now is this damn trial and I've had to resort to stations like CNN International and BBC World News for news that isn't sensationalist junk.

I dont see any bias. If they were filming the jurors they got what they deserved. That is a HUGE no-no. Why was their chopper following the jurors anyway? This point doesn't seem to be disputed from the quotes in the article, just that they weren't filming. Should be pretty quick and easy to tell if they were filming just check the recorded footage. I haven't seen anything yet but, Have they gotten their credentials back yet? If not, my guess is the footage confirmed they were indeed filming the jurors.

I really hope so, the only thing CNN covers now is this damn trial and I've had to resort to stations like CNN International and BBC World News for news that isn't sensationalist junk.

Mrtraveler01 and Myron Falwell, or anyone for that matter, what made the story sensationalist in your view in the first place?

Mrtraveler01 and Myron Falwell, or anyone for that matter, what made the story sensationalist in your view in the first place?

The same reason Jodi Whatsername and Casey Anthony were parlayed into national stories. What would have been mere regional crime stories suddenly got a lot of attention by talk show hosts desperate for time to fill on a nightly basis. And, to that effect, people tune into those same hosts for the train wreck of it all... not that they even gave a crap about the actual victims.

This isn't new, actually. The Cleveland Press, original flagship of the Scripps newspaper chain, took a 1954 murder case involving the wife of a respected doctor in the bedroom suburb of Bay Village, and covered it with such a vendetta and agenda that, not only did it lead to Dr. Sam Sheppard's conviction (and subsequent retrial on grounds that he didn't get a fair trial due to media oversaturation), it also allegedly inspired the TV series and movie "The Fugitive." Consult this for more background.

That's fine and all if such sophistry is limited to HLN and other "tabloid" channels. But this non-news story somehow became a news story because a middle-aged Hispanic male had a non-ethnic name. Sorry but it is what it is. What would have been irresponsible behavior by just one network - HLN - exploded onto MSNBC, CNN and Fox, with predictable behavior by each of those networks.

NBC's blatent editing of the Zimmerman 911 call by a Today staffer (since reassigned to WTVJ) didn't help. One would have thought they learned a lesson or two after the Richard Jewell fiasco, but the vast majority of MSNBC's staffers weren't at 30 Rock when that debacle unfolded.

It was dumbfounding to see people comment on social networking this Sunday vociferously on a story like this, when they fail to possess 1/8th of that passion at their elected leaders. Yes, I do feel bad that a 17 year old got shot dead by a neighborhood watchman guilty of massive stupidity, and that the legal process imploded the way it did, so there is no actual resolution... but outside of that, did this story really affect me in any way? I'm trying to find a way it did, and I'm drawing blanks. My life is moving forward, I never lost any sleep, and the sun will rise tomorrow morning, heralding a brand new day.

Ariel Castro should just cop a plea just so the entire Northern Ohio region can be spared from having to endure a trial. He has 977 reasons to do so as of this moment. Besides, I dread the possibility of Nancy Grace being in my hometown on a daily basis... cruel and unusual punishment.

Archived