Watch ABC

aleckrohto

Just wondering what are your guys thoughts on the New Watch ABC App, personally I like it. Do you think CBS and NBC will pick up on this idea.

I like the idea of it, for sure...but I haven't yet had a chance to try it out. I can't imagine either CBS or NBC waiting too long to start offering a similar service. My bet is that NBC will jump in first, though.

Many cable networks have done so with this TV Everywhere. Disney itself have done it with Watch Disney Channel & Watch ESPN. But the bad thing is you have to be a cable subscriber and use its cable carriers password to use the service.

I wish there's a way to watch live stream of OTA signals of all the affils out-of-market without an authenticated wall. I would love to see stations streaming their stuff out of market.

I like the idea I would love to try it but they haven't rolled it out to my market as of yet. I live in Houston.

I'm shocked when they added the 3 Circle 7s (WLS, KABC & KGO) & WTVD, they didn't add KTRK & KFSN. They'll probably add those two and some of the Hearst Stations, hopefully WCVB & WISN be the first ones to get it soon.

Just wondering what are your guys thoughts on the New Watch ABC App, personally I like it. Do you think CBS and NBC will pick up on this idea.

Yes, they will all have something similar to this eventually. Fox has been working to incorporate live streaming into their FoxNow app. CBS has invested in SyncBak. And, I'm sure NBC is working on something it's just hush hush. The issue is trying to get all the rights in line. Unlike a national cable outlet where they control the rights nationwide. You have 200+ markets where various groups own the rights to differing syndicated programming, newscasts, etc., etc. Plus, they need a way to measure who is watching for advertising and ratings purposes. Trying to aggragate all this takes time and is a slow moving process. Even some of the cable outlets are having some trouble. TBS & TNT are planning to launch live streaming via their apps but are having a hard time securing streaming rights to some syndicated content. They only have to do it once now try to coordinate this amongst/with 200+ affilates...Lots of moving parts. And, even then you still end up with some content blacked out or substituted.

Many cable networks have done so with this TV Everywhere. Disney itself have done it with Watch Disney Channel & Watch ESPN. But the bad thing is you have to be a cable subscriber and use its cable carriers password to use the service.

Not sure if you are referring to all the "Watch" apps or just the two you mentioned. But, Watch ABC is also requires authentication via qualifying cable/sat providers (for live streaming).

I wish there's a way to watch live stream of OTA signals of all the affils out-of-market without an authenticated wall. I would love to see stations streaming their stuff out of market.

Two things here. First, WRT Non-authenticated services. SyncBak is a non-authenticated streaming service. Although not "streaming" DyleTV & MyDTV broadcast via the OTA signals using the ASTC M/H standard. So, an antenna dongle is needed. But, both are non-authenticated services. However, stations using DyleTV are encrypted and only viewable through the DyleTV app. MyDTV stations are "in the clear" and should be able to be received by either app.

Second, WRT to out-of-market viewing. This will never, ever happen. Ever. Unless there is a wholesale collapse of the current OTA/DMA/Broadcast/Affilate relationship it just can't happen. ALL of the current apps are in-market only for a reason. They need to protect the current local rights holder. Repeat most of my first paragraph here. The only thing local stations can provide out-of-market are newscasts/local station produced shows. And, Some stations do provide those via live stream on their station apps and websites.

I heared that hearst is next for watch abc, sometime in the coming months.

Hearst signed on a couple months ago. I believe the goal is to have it up and running full speed by the start of the fall season.

So is KTUU with the Airwave app, also by Syncbak. I used it while in Anchorage for the 4th of July holiday and it works like a charm (sorry; it doesn't work anywhere else but Anchorage), though I had to scrub through the commercials.

I didn't know there's a Fox Now app now available, but I'm going to withhold downloading it till they add DirecTV and Dish (same goes with Watch ESPN and a few other apps).

• 4 weeks later...
B&C states today that KTRK 13 will be next to implement their localized Watch ABC app. And by the start of the new season, KFSN 30 will launch their own version. Other stations including the 13 Hearst-owned stations will launch their own in the coming months.

• 3 months later...

*bump* Hearst was announced as getting the live "Watch ABC" service back in May. It's now the end of the year and there's no sign of it that I've seen. The websites have the Watch ABC section, but it sends you to the on demand, not live, programming. Anyone with any inside info what's holding up the process?

*bump* Hearst was announced as getting the live "Watch ABC" service back in May. It's now the end of the year and there's no sign of it that I've seen. The websites have the Watch ABC section, but it sends you to the on demand, not live, programming. Anyone with any inside info what's holding up the process?

I talked with a person who works at WCVB, he said shortly after the new year, my guess of the date will be January 6

I talked with a person who works at WCVB, he said shortly after the new year, my guess of the date will be January 6

Seems a reasonable guess as to the date, given the changes to the on-demand portion of the service that happen at the same time.

On a side note, I wonder why Scripps hasn't jumped on the Watch ABC bandwagon for its own ABC affiliates. Could it be because of their participation in Dyle tv?

I'm wondering about Cox Media Group as well. I really want to test out their streaming service so I can watch it on the go.

Archived