Nexstar...again

Question: Nexstar by and large doesn't subscribe to Nielsen. Anyone know if they've told the Media General stations to stop subscribing? If so, sweeps numbers in a growing number of markets are gonna be jacked.

Guess the next question to ask is this: Does Nexstar only use Comscore numbers?

• Like 5

Have any ex-MG stations had their domains changed yet?

I also wonder what the graphics and website design will be going forward, since Nexstar has inherited LIN Digital. Will they change their other stations to the MG template, or will it go the other way?

• Like 2

I also wonder what the graphics and website design will be going forward, since Nexstar has inherited LIN Digital. Will they change their other stations to the MG template, or will it go the other way?

As of what I have seen with the websites, no not yet.

• Like 1

The MG templates will go bye-bye and be replaced with Nexstar's Lakana CMS platform. As for those infamous domains names-to-come, give them time.

• Like 1

The MG templates will go bye-bye and be replaced with Nexstar's Lakana CMS platform. As for those infamous domains names-to-come, give them time.

From that Town Hall vid, I think Sook said that he liked the LIN DIgital ones better. But I'm not sure if the legacy Nexstar is going to use that MG template or it might be a completely new template for all of their stations. We'll just have to wait and see.

Looks like the first order of business under the combined entity is to have all of its stations with one "unified" licensee name.

Nexstar has filed a slew of 316 pro-forma applications to change all those various MG licensee names (Media General Communications Holdings, LIN Television Corporation, Young Broadcasting of Richmond, etc; 25 in all) to (No surprise) Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc.

• Like 1

Not related to Nexstar now, but WBAY has had their web backend switched to Gray's from the old MG system, along with iOS users having to upload new Gray-managed station apps due to Apple security issues not allowing a transfer of the existing app to Gray (it was seamless on Android). They also immediately pulled Hollywood Today Live from late night now after Friday's show now that they're not under MG/Nexstar ownership (replaced by infomercials); now it's just a matter of how long it takes before WFRV is forced to take HTL themselves (which would also replace infomercials).

• Like 1

Not related to Nexstar now, but WBAY has had their web backend switched to Gray's from the old MG system, along with iOS users having to upload new Gray-managed station apps due to Apple security issues not allowing a transfer of the existing app to Gray (it was seamless on Android). They also immediately pulled Hollywood Today Live from late night now after Friday's show now that they're not under MG/Nexstar ownership (replaced by infomercials); now it's just a matter of how long it takes before WFRV is forced to take HTL themselves (which would also replace infomercials).

KWQC also has the Gray website now

Looks like the Nexstar hiring system is starting to take hold. The old MG one is still active for now and has some of the same openings....

Most of the openings existed before Nexstar took over. More like an "exodus" than a housecleaning. WJTV's GM was moved to WIAT in Birmingham pre-merger when their GM left for WOIO.

Screenshot_20170311-220602.thumb.jpg.7fb52861a62acb6df8f903b16b64aa2d.jpg

Looks like Nexstar is cleaning house in Jackson, MS at WJTV. [ATTACH=full]3742[/ATTACH]

I wonder if some of them will end up at WLBT or WAPT? The latter could use a shot in the arm as it has always been a distant third place station. Hearst has risen stations from the dead before though...like WLKY and WPBF...

• Like 1

WTHI is the first former MG/Nexstar station to get the Heartland Media website

Not to go off-topic but, are you aware of a thread about Heartland Media called "From the Heartland..." ? I'm not a moderator but if I was, that post would be there.

My prediction is that the legacy Nexstar stations will switch to the LIN Digital design and graphics, but the ex-MG stations will adopt Nexstar domain names. We'll see how that plays out.

God I hope not.. their domain names are stupid and in some cases pathetically long... using the station call letters is easier to remember than patheticallylongandridiculousdomainnamefirst.com

• Like 5

God I hope not.. their domain names are stupid and in some cases pathetically long... using the station call letters is easier to remember than patheticallylongandridiculousdomainnamefirst.com

Unfortunately many ethnic groups find the "W" and "K"s in the FCC call signs to be offensive.

One "K" is only 2 more ""K's" away from KKK.

The letter "W" is considered "code' for White or White people.

This is why you see these long local web names filled with platitudes.

"ilovemylocalsandiego10news.com" just makes one feel so much better inside as we start our busy day.

• Like 3