Nexstar...again

No. I did a Google, and Sarentino is a freeware knockoff of Serpentine.

Gahhh, I can't remember which is which. Oops.

I once found a site that had ripoffs of quite a few typefaces though they've cleaned up their act a bit since. Every typeface that they ripped off had a "similar" name to it.

Serpentine/Serentino was also used by KOCO for its "5 Alive" logo that was introduced probably close to the time WETM introduced theirs and used until about 1993.

The new logo looks quite like a stylized version of another logo used by an NBC affiliate on channel 18. Compare the one seen on WETM's Facebook with WLEX's, there are subtle differences but you can tell.

Serpentine was NBC's font of choice for their Nightly News back in the mid 80s, soon after Tom Brokaw became the sole anchor. Many affiliates at the time worked it into their local branding and on-air supers.

It was to NBC as CBS's extensive use of Serifa (or something like it) back in the 1980s that was heavily adopted by their O&Os and affiliates.

I'm thinking there was so much of this so-called standardization back in the days when CGs were more limited, and before TrueType fonts worked their way into daily life. Plus, if a network commissioned or licensed a font, it would make sense to deploy it to any willing affiliate at the time to cut down on costs, since it was a major ordeal to update character generators, instead of today using PCs for everything and having thousands of fonts bundled into software.

Switching gears, It does feel that Nexstar is slowly rebranding their acquisitions. I'll bet you that within a few months, WMBB will have a new logo and brand. I do not see them keeping an ex-Media General logo that's a decade old that Hoak kept alive through their ownership. (Same goes for Gray and KALB).

As for a brand....the news director who's been posting to their facebook page, has been really hyping LOCAL (by typing it in all caps).

For example..... asking on their page "A follow-up to our previous question, what does LOCAL mean to you?" and "We are 'Your LOCAL Elections Headquarters' and we are here for you."

Local 13, anyone?

Serpentine was NBC's font of choice for their Nightly News back in the mid 80s, soon after Tom Brokaw became the sole anchor. Many affiliates at the time worked it into their local branding and on-air supers.

It was to NBC as CBS's extensive use of Serifa (or something like it) back in the 1980s that was heavily adopted by their O&Os and affiliates.

I'm thinking there was so much of this so-called standardization back in the days when CGs were more limited, and before TrueType fonts worked their way into daily life. Plus, if a network commissioned or licensed a font, it would make sense to deploy it to any willing affiliate at the time to cut down on costs, since it was a major ordeal to update character generators, instead of today using PCs for everything and having thousands of fonts bundled into software.

Switching gears, It does feel that Nexstar is slowly rebranding their acquisitions. I'll bet you that within a few months, WMBB will have a new logo and brand. I do not see them keeping an ex-Media General logo that's a decade old that Hoak kept alive through their ownership. (Same goes for Gray and KALB).

As for a brand....the news director who's been posting to their facebook page, has been really hyping LOCAL (by typing it in all caps).

For example..... asking on their page "A follow-up to our previous question, what does LOCAL mean to you?" and "We are 'Your LOCAL Elections Headquarters' and we are here for you."

Local 13, anyone?

What are they trying to do? Copy P-N's silly branding?

What are they trying to do? Copy P-N's silly branding?

I don't find it silly. To me, it appears they plug the "Local" branding way more than Graham, even though only a fraction of Nexstar stations (specifically WFRV/WJMN & WATN) uses the "Local" branding. Let me remind you that Nexstar's slogan is "Keeping It Local".

I rather for them to brand them Local 4 & Local 6, instead of NBC 4 or CBS 6 any day.

WETM has debuted their new logo and Look F (I think that's right, may be wrong) and they are now in HD as well.

http://www.mytwintiers.com/video/d/video/local-police-train-with-narcan/5226444

Not too shabby for market 174

Look G. Close enough. They look great in HD. I am kind of surprised they didn't get a Nexstar set-in-a-box. They instead got the WSYR treatment with the huge TV monitor behind the anchors, spacing them out. If they would've gotten the monitor that stations like WBRE and WTAJ have, it would look better. But... oh my. WENY is definitely more professional. I understand that it IS market 174, but that's no excuse. WETM's competitor is far superior as far as level of professionalism. I sense some audio issues, but I'm sure they will got sorted out in a few days when they start getting used to the new setup.

OK, so WETM gets to go HD and get new graphics and Nexstar has owned them for a year and a half. Yet KAMR and KMID are STILL in SD and using the same graphics they were five years ago. KAMR and KMID have both got to be Nexstar's stepchildren, since they work with an extremely small news staff compared to similar size or smaller stations like KFDX or WETM. I guess the mantra is Nexstar is "invest in them only if they do well in the ratings"...

KAMR and KMID have both got to be Nexstar's stepchildren, since they work with an extremely small news staff compared to similar size or smaller stations like KFDX or WETM. I guess the mantra is Nexstar is "invest in them only if they do well in the ratings"...

Okay, so KMID just got the 'Keeping It Local' campaign and have started to call themselves, get this, "Local Big 2 News."

The graphics are the same, and apparently had a (very bad) set designed by a local firm.

3rd in the ratings, and will probably never get anything good from Daddy.

OK, so WETM gets to go HD and get new graphics and Nexstar has owned them for a year and a half. Yet KAMR and KMID are STILL in SD and using the same graphics they were five years ago. KAMR and KMID have both got to be Nexstar's stepchildren, since they work with an extremely small news staff compared to similar size or smaller stations like KFDX or WETM. I guess the mantra is Nexstar is "invest in them only if they do well in the ratings"...

I was just going to mention this! You can add WMBD 31 over in Peoria, IL to that list. Nexstar updated WMBD's long time sister station and fellow CBS affiliate WCIA over in Central Illinois but has not even touched WMBD 31. Heck they even updated the stations in Rockford to HD! So I really wonder what is holding up the updating of WMBD?

WDHN is another station that has languished under Nexstar.....the signal barely reaches outside of Dothan, while WTVY is powerful enough to cover Panama City itself, and was their long-time CBS affiliate until Gray signed on WECP.

I would imagine some form of consolidation is imminent with WMBB...

...WIVT's news is produced in Binghamton but is pre-taped and I know WETM has provided infrastructure in the past.

Most famously WIVT shattered KOTA's record for "oldest news open/package currently on TV" by keeping its 1996 TV by Design graphics. It's a cool treat because TVbD did good stuff then, but it's also SD and analog—unacceptable from a news production standpoint.

I was just going to mention this! You can add WMBD 31 over in Peoria, IL to that list. Nexstar updated WMBD's long time sister station and fellow CBS affiliate WCIA over in Central Illinois but has not even touched WMBD 31. Heck they even updated the stations in Rockford to HD! So I really wonder what is holding up the updating of WMBD?

Peoria seems to be a joke market for stations anyway. No one wants to invest anything there...

• 3 weeks later...

About time. ComCorp should finally get approved with this news. Though if how KIDY/KXVA is any indication, watch WEVV turn to crap. London actually improved those stations and with Gannett they're going to get even better. (never thought I'd say Gannett actually improved a station)

About time. ComCorp should finally get approved with this news. Though if how KIDY/KXVA is any indication, watch WEVV turn to crap. London actually improved those stations and with Gannett they're going to get even better. (never thought I'd say Gannett actually improved a station)

I was hoping that someone would have the wisdom to put news on WEVV, but I can't see it from this ownership. It's been 14 years since WEVV had a newscast.