Best creatively programmed local station

mergingtraffic

What do you think is the best programmed local station creativity wise? What era? I'm not talking actual programs but unique things suck as how the station transitions from one show to the next, their branding, use of promos and gfx etc.

My tops:

WTVT mid 1990s

They would have local people from around Tampa annouce what was up next ie "Hi this is Tara from Tampa stay tuned for Jerry Springer next on Fox 13."

There was also a female on-cam announcer that would say what's next on Fox 13 as well.

Good lighting on their newscasts and moving camera angles during that period. Charlie Van Dyke as the station voice.

New Mexico's CW KWQB late 2000s

They would have promos for local America's Top Model and highlight local contestants in promos. Also they would have "Viewer Profiles" little segments that highlight viewers and what they like. They would alsohave viewers say what is up next with a "CW" dancing in the back at local hot spots.

WCVB Boston 1972-early 2000s

A lot of local programming from kids shows to a local morning show in the 80s. They actually produced local sitcoms. Jim Birdsall was their VO in the 90s.

WNBC 1992-2006

A lot of network and local crossovers. Live At Five voiced by Don Pardo or Live at Five from the Today show studios. Scott Chapin, Danny Dark as their VO dudes. Pyburn gfx in 2003. 2 sets in the 90s and 2003. Seperate channel and news branding.

What do you think is the best programmed local station creativity wise? What era? I'm not talking actual programs but unique things suck as how the station transitions from one show to the next, their branding, use of promos and gfx etc.

My tops:

WTVT mid 1990s

They would have local people from around Tampa annouce what was up next ie "Hi this is Tara from Tampa stay tuned for Jerry Springer next on Fox 13."

There was also a female on-cam announcer that would say what's next on Fox 13 as well.

Good lighting on their newscasts and moving camera angles during that period. Charlie Van Dyke as the station voice.

New Mexico's CW KWQB late 2000s

They would have promos for local America's Top Model and highlight local contestants in promos. Also they would have "Viewer Profiles" little segments that highlight viewers and what they like. They would alsohave viewers say what is up next with a "CW" dancing in the back at local hot spots.

A lot of local programming from kids shows to a local morning show in the 80s. They actually produced local sitcoms. Jim Birdsall was their VO in the 90s.

WNBC 1992-2006

A lot of network and local crossovers. Live At Five voiced by Don Pardo or Live at Five from the Today show studios. Scott Chapin, Danny Dark as their VO dudes. Pyburn gfx in 2003. 2 sets in the 90s and 2003. Seperate channel and news branding.

We've mentioned it before but Tribune has done a fantastic job in having their CW affiliates maintain a local identity to it.

NOLA38 in New Orleans is a good example as their promotions have a New Orleans vibe to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNfedibCVNI

WSFL (aka: SFLtv) in Miami has a South Florida vibe going with it as well.

KPLR here in St. Louis has an Arch in their logo.

KPLR_11.jpg

WGN has done a good job maintaining it's identity and living up to it's slogan as "Chicago's Very Own" with lots of local sports, news, and entertainment programming.

There are tons of others, but one of the reasons I really like Tribune is because of this strategy. What's shocking is that this idea came from the same people who thought dumbing down the newspapers would bring in more readers.

WXYZ/Detroit

Kelly & Company 1978-1995

WEWS/Cleveland

The Morning Exchange 1972-1999

WEWS also had "The One O' Clock Club," a light fare entertainment and comedy program with Dorothy Fuldheim and Bill Gordon, in the early 60s. Mike Douglas used that show as a template for his competing variety show on KYW/3 Cleveland, which eventually moved (along with the whole station) to Philly, became nationally syndicated, and revolutionized - along with Merv Griffin - the concept of daytime TV.

After ABC News' "AMerica" failed in disastrous fashion, someone at ABC had the idea of simucasting "The Morning Exchange" on the entire network. That led to the creation of GMA. Fred Griffith reportedly was offered the hosting job of GMA, but he turned it down wanting to stay in Cleveland, and David Hartmann got the gig as a result.

KPDX Portland from the '90s always struck me as "that quirky little station in that quirky little town," especially during its Cannell/First Media ownership days. The "FOX 49" logo in which the "9" appeared as a half smiley-face. Local music and lifestyle programs on Saturday night. KPTV might have had the better ratings even when KPDX had FOX, but their look (and approach) was much more old-fashioned. Even as "PDXTV" today, the station has that irreverent look to it.

KNXV "FOX 15" Phoenix from the early-'90s had a well-polished, flashy look to them too. Their imaging fit their programming and target demo very well back in the day.

Growing up, I'd say KGTV's 1994-1998 era their music and promos was always on point and hard hitting.

KFMB with their Devlin Design Set back in 1996 and Local 8 News era from 2001-2005, their graphics were way ahead of its time.

But still to this day, KTLA's image, branding, the Devlin Design Set 97-04, Linda Kane Design Graphics and their Flashpoint theme from 615 Music was always my favorite. It took a while for me to grow onto their Prime News Era.

Growing up, I'd say KGTV's 1994-1998 era their music and promos was always on point and hard hitting.

KFMB with their Devlin Design Set back in 1996 and Local 8 News era from 2001-2005, their graphics were way ahead of its time.

But still to this day, KTLA's image, branding, the Devlin Design Set 97-04, Linda Kane Design Graphics and their Flashpoint theme from 615 Music was always my favorite. It took a while for me to grow onto their Prime News Era.

I couldn't agree more with you on all points!

I think in 1986, WSB produced "The Boy King" (about young Martin Luther King, Jr.), which was the first made-for-TV movie by a commercial TV station in the U.S.

And speaking of KTLA, they produced the raw 1978 documentary "Scared Straight!"...and won an Oscar for it!

Here in Alaska (and I'm down to my last full week before moving I say, to quote one of Frank Gari's vintage image campaigns, "Hello Atlanta!"), KTUU's promotions are top-notch, though I think there are small specks of ego in them.

And speaking of KTLA, they produced the raw 1979 documentary "Scared Straight!"...and won an Oscar for it!

OMG!! Scared Straight! is the shit!! Thank God you'd mentioned it. You talk about interventions, let any troubled or cut-up child in today's world see this movie. Many years ago, I saw it on UPN, and they aired it uncensored. And I didn't know that documentary won the major prize! WOW! Very Chilling.

Archived