CBS 2 10PM Ratings Decline

former newsboy

Channel 2 down again at 10 in September - nearly a whole ratings point year-to-year - reports Lazare. That's the way it's been going at the station (down, flat) ever since dumping Bill Kurtis & Walter Jacobson. Not saying that's the reason, but that is the timing - pretty coincidental at least.

After a couple years in the right direction, what was even being referred to as a "renaissance" at the station, looks like Channel 2 is returning to it's familiar place near the bottom of the ratings heap. Which is a shame really, because their product is pretty solid - as good as 7, 5, 9 IMO.

This has all been on Wilke's watch, having been there a year now. Another coincidence? I supported her decision to renew Rob Johnson's contract since, until recently, things were improving. So I felt he earned it. So why have they hit a wall? I'm looking forward to the new graphics, but I hardly think that'll help the numbers. What do u think the 10 needs?

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/news/2013/09/26/wbbm-channel-2-news-ratings-take-a-dive.html

I don't know where to begin.

They're not doing anything wrong, and nothing has really changed on their broadcast. They're really just in a bad place right now. CBS' primetime programming has lost some steam in recent years, so I wouldn't be surprised if that has something to do with it. Some would say that any presentation changes would merely be "rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic", but I don't think WBBM is a sinking ship. Not at all. I do think the weeknight anchor line-up could use a little more variety, something that was welcomed when Skippy and the ManTM were there. The graphics will be a nice change, I'd more than welcome the Enforcer update (specifically WCBS' 5 and 6pm opening cue), and of course a revamped set, but none of it really matters. WBBM has most of the pieces in place, they just need to wait for someone else to screw up.

Kind of sucks to hear because the station evening newscast seem pretty solid from the times I've seen them especially compared to their newscast just a few years back. Hopefully this has something to do with CBS primetime losing ground and not a reflection on WBBM quality. The station has made a serious comeback and I want that to show in the viewership. Unfortunately for CBS 2 and the others I don't think there's much they can ever do to catch up with ABC 7 but it would be nice to see some competition.

Stuff like this merely takes time and viewership habits are incredibly hard to change. There's a station in my market that's sort of like WBBM. They've made massive changes for the better and their news operation isn't that bad, yet they just can't pull in the viewers.

Give WBBM several years. Then we'll see where they are at.

• 1 month later...

Big surprise, the new graphics didn't help. The downward trend continues for Channel 2...with the November sweeps nearing an end, 2 at 10 again is down a whole ratings point from last year.

Again, I don't get it. Because like I said, it's a good product. And while I'd like them to be given several years as Midwest commented above, this is TV, and something's gotta give. (And really, they've already had 3 years, and now things keep sinking).

The general consensus seems to be that Anna Davlantes will be filling Channel 2's morning anchor vacancy. But after another poor showing at 10, could it be more likely she gets Kate Sullivan's spot? With Rob Johnson's recent renewal, we know he's not going anywhere. But what about Kate? She joined WBBM in Sept. 2010. How long was her contract for? Is she on an extension? On the other hand, Kate was more of a corporate hire (or reallocation if you will) so I don't know if they can just replace her. And I'm not saying I want them to, I'm just thinking out loud I guess.

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/news/2013/11/22/november-sweeps-book-showing-tv-news.html

Skippy and the Man? That's what you call Jacobson and Kurtis (or the other way)? Where'd that nickname come from?

Jacobson's been known as Skippy for years (dates back to his days in print journalism). As for Bill, he's pretty freakin' awesome, so he's "the man" (gittin' all slang-y up in here)...so I just capitalized it.

Well how do you like that, Robert Feder's saying exactly what I suggested when I started this thread a couple months ago...

http://www.robertfeder.com/2013/11/24/new-ratings-perspective-on-bill-walter/

(And I'm thinking what I said earlier today above may have gotten buried). But nevermind about Anna Davlantes, by all means BRING BACK BILL & WALTER!!!!

Archived