Raycom Buying WVUE?

TSSZNews

The Retirement Systems of Alabama October newsletter includes a short article that notes its subsidiary, Raycom Media, "is expanding with the proposed purchase of the Fox station in New Orleans for $55.6 million."

Source: http://www.wdsu.com/news/local-news/new-orleans/group-claims-purchase-of-wvue-tv-pending/-/9853400/22319254/-/kw0h7az/-/index.html?absolute=true&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=wdsu

Looks like Raycom wants WVUE. It's certainly not far-fetched for Raycom to have a FOX station in its portfolio, but what makes this a particularly unique case is the killing they could potentially make off of Saints games.

On that alone, I'd be surprised if they were the only ones in the running, to be honest.

I had a very strong feeling that Raycom would want a NOLA station, knowing that they have the two other big Louisiana properties WAFB & KSLA. They surely be next door to Biloxi's WLOX, should this deal stick.

But I did say this earlier this year:

I read somewhere that he was going to expand after acquiring Channel 8, growing into the radio & television chain, but it hasn't happen yet. And I don't think it will happen now. Plus, isn't he 85? And who will take over if Benson croaks?

I couldn't speculate how long Benson would keep channel 8, but I would've been moreso worried if the inevitability happened, who would take over from there? But let's not forget he still have other holdings including football & basketball teams that he owns. So it's just shows that his work is never done.

The only other contender would probably been LIN, since they acquired many of the former Emmis stations, including the ones that New Vision bought, before LIN bought them last year.

But if this does stick, this would be a big one for Raycom. Not just for the Saints coverage, but all that lucrative syndicated programming on that station.

I had a very strong feeling that Raycom would want a NOLA station, knowing that they have the two other big Louisiana properties WAFB & KTAL. They surely be next door to Biloxi's WLOX, should this deal stick.

I couldn't speculate how long Benson would keep channel 8, but I would've been moreso worried if the inevitability happened, who would take over from there? But let's not forget he still have other holdings including football & basketball teams that he owns. So it's just shows that his work is never done.

The only other contender would probably been LIN, since they acquired many of the former Emmis stations, including the ones that New Vision bought, before LIN bought them last year.

This probably belongs in the Speculatron until it becomes official...maybe merge with the Fox section.

BTW, I see several potential buyers interested if WVUE goes on the market. LIN makes sense, also Fox may want it as an O&O (even if it is a somewhat small market for such), plus we can never count out Sinclair (who, BTW, have nothing in Louisiana, and have no other pathways into New Orleans - WWL is already being sold, WDSU and WGNO are unlikely to be for sale anytime soon).

I had a very strong feeling that Raycom would want a NOLA station, knowing that they have the two other big Louisiana properties WAFB & KTAL. They surely be next door to Biloxi's WLOX, should this deal stick.

But if this does stick, this would be a big one for Raycom. Not just for the Saints coverage, but all that lucrative syndicated programming on that station.

KSLA, not KTAL. KTAL is Nexstar, and is a distant third, IIRC. KSLA dominates Shreveport, if I am not mistaken.

I hate saying this, but why isn't FOX Television Stations purchasing WVUE?

Market size and the continued stigma from Katrina.

Emmis decided to exit the TV business as a whole months before Katrina struck, which would be enough of a challenge... but then the storm severely damaged the studios and transmitter, and a good chunk of the staff moved away. They had to hold onto WVUE longer than any other station in the group before selling it to Mr. Benson (and that purchase was likely a make-good for him after the massive negative PR he took when acting undecided on whether or not to move the Saints out of NOLA throughout, and after, the 2005 season).

This probably belongs in the Speculatron until it becomes official...maybe merge with the Fox section.

Retirement Systems of Alabama is Raycom's parent company (both are headquartered in Montgomery). This is definitely accurate news.

Here's another segment of interest: "Pending year-end approval by the FCC, [WVUE] would immediately increase in value by more than $12 million due to the retransmission fees paid to Raycom compared to a single station owner." That is quite something.

KSLA, not KTAL. KTAL is Nexstar, and is a distant third, IIRC. KSLA dominates Shreveport, if I am not mistaken.

I thought the local station, KTBS dominates that market.... Well anywho, my bad on that earlier error.

The Advocate states that the spokesperson for Tom Benson, denies the claim, stating that "The Advisor" newsletter article was "inaccurate", and doesn't have intentions of selling WVUE.

It may mean a hill of beans, but a FB group of New Orleans broadcasters had one member saying this deal was dead with Benson walking away, and another saying while this deal could be dead, that doesn't mean WVUE isn't up for sale.

Translation: Sinclair offered more, and Benson is waiting for a counter-offer.

It may or may not be S!nclair, but there has to be a lot of jockeying for position right now for WVUE.

That Raycom made the boast on their newsletter either suggests that: 1) Benson caught wind of the newsletter, and took the deal off the table asking for a higher price, or 2) there was a clearical error of astronomical proportions at Raycom HQ.

God, I hope Sinclair doesn't buy WVUE. Benson has invested quite a bit of capital into this station that no one else wanted to buy and turned it from a perennial 3rd place station into a station that is competing with WWL for dominance in the market. Sinclair will undo all of that.

Plus Raycom makes more sense since it owns stations in every market that surrounds New Orleans (Baton Rouge, Jackson, and Biloxi). They do a better job in investing in their stations and keeping them competitive. Although the flashy graphics will be a shock considering that WVUE still uses the old WEWS graphics from the mid 2000's.

Raycom is no better than Sinclair. I've read reviews from employees of Raycom, most hate working for them. Raycom does invest but only if necessary. Their HD conversions were all done on the cheap.

But yes I'd rather see WVUE go to Raycom than Sinclair.

Although the flashy graphics will be a shock considering that WVUE still uses the old WEWS graphics from the mid 2000's.

Not really, considering they used to use RenderOn graphics (I'll never understand why they went from that to what they have now).

Raycom is no better than Sinclair. I've read reviews from employees of Raycom, most hate working for them. Raycom does invest but only if necessary. Their HD conversions were all done on the cheap.

But yes I'd rather see WVUE go to Raycom than Sinclair.

Not really, considering they used to use RenderOn graphics (I'll never understand why they went from that to what they have now).

Forgot about the Renderon graphics, those were real nice. That was one move that Benson made that I could never figure out.

God, I hope Sinclair doesn't buy WVUE. Benson has invested quite a bit of capital into this station that no one else wanted to buy and turned it from a perennial 3rd place station into a station that is competing with WWL for dominance in the market. Sinclair will undo all of that.

Plus Raycom makes more sense since it owns stations in every market that surrounds New Orleans (Baton Rouge, Jackson, and Biloxi). They do a better job in investing in their stations and keeping them competitive. Although the flashy graphics will be a shock considering that WVUE still uses the old WEWS graphics from the mid 2000's.

Could WDSU be the big winner in all this upheaval if Sinclair gets WVUE?

The one case against Sinclair in NOLA: they have no assets in Louisiana or Mississippi (even after all these acquisitions). Unless they think other groups are going to be for sale, WVUE would be isolated in their portfolio.

Could WDSU be the big winner in all this upheaval if Sinclair gets WVUE?

The one case against Sinclair in NOLA: they have no assets in Louisiana or Mississippi (even after all these acquisitions). Unless they think other groups are going to be for sale, WVUE would be isolated in their portfolio.

Geography doesn't usually play into Sinclair's strategy of "buy all the stations!". They had absolutely no presence in the Northwest before they bought Fishers.

But unless Sinclair keeps investing in WVUE and not treat it like it treats its other Fox stations, they might still remain competitive. Otherwise WDSU will come back and take the 2nd place spot. It will also take the pressure off of WWL as WVUE has been creeping up on them lately.

Yuck, I really hope Sinclair doesn't get them. Raycom would be nice, and so would FOX, but I have doubts about the latter (not enough to completely outrule it happening, but still), even if it is a NFC market. I could also see Nexstar or Media General wanting them as WVUE would fit in fairly decently to both.

Mrtraveler01 took the words right out of my mouth on this one, they don't care where they buy their stations

The Retirement Systems of Alabama has said that the report that Raycom is purchasing WVUE was a mistake. If this was indeed a mistake, it was a big one for sure.

The only mistake they made was leaking the information out, but I do think that this rumor has more merit to it than both parties are willing to let on.

Archived