What's With The Trend Of Sets Using Monitors With "Lines"?

Geoffrey

I'm not sure of the exact wording -- I'm sure someone here will mention it -- but why do so many sets these days use monitors with "lines" on them? By that I mean putting together a bunch of smaller monitors to act as a single big one?

It seemed like this was big back in the day, maybe in the 1990s, but I thought we had moved away from this look. But all of a sudden, in the last few years, it seems to be happening in more and more sets.

I prefer big monitors or projection screens. I just think it looks cleaner. The "lines" are ugly and distracting to me. I can't understand why they're "in" again. Is it cheaper to do it this way?

It probably is cheaper than one large screen, and I personally think that the resolution and quality is far superior than a projection screen.

That, on top of the fact that they can air multiple footage on each different monitor if they wanted too for a cooler, (and much more seamless compared to the 90's) look, however I rarely see people doing this. I also think that some do it because it sort of gives off a natural window look if they want some type of "natural" element to the set.

However you're right. It IS annoying to see and watch.

I'm not sure of the exact wording -- I'm sure someone here will mention it -- but why do so many sets these days use monitors with "lines" on them? By that I mean putting together a bunch of smaller monitors to act as a single big one?

It seemed like this was big back in the day, maybe in the 1990s, but I thought we had moved away from this look. But all of a sudden, in the last few years, it seems to be happening in more and more sets.

I prefer big monitors or projection screens. I just think it looks cleaner. The "lines" are ugly and distracting to me. I can't understand why they're "in" again. Is it cheaper to do it this way?

Glad I'm not the only one who is reminded of the 90's rear-projection cubes when seeing the thin bezel monitor walls.

They're cheaper than big monitors (10 47" thin bezel monitors from LG will run you, like, 46k, while the 103" Panasonic plasma seems to fluctuate between 50k and 100k each) and they take up much less space than rear projection screens.

I prefer the old chroma key box popular in the late '80s and early '90s. Usually would rise up on a lift behind the anchors.

Oooooh - bringing back some memories - that and the 27" Trinitron on a lift. I'm surprised we don't see "Flat Panels on a lift"...

J

Archived