Bill Weir leaves Nightline.

CircleSeven

So crazy because I was just thinking that Weir would probably on the way out soon. Loved when he was on Weekend GMA and the times he filled in on GMA for either Diane, Charlie or Robin. Wonder what he's doing next?

They say he is going to do something in the News Business so maybe at another network. I hope not CNN because that would be the 3rd prominent personality ABC lost to them.

Dan Harris is a great anchor and will do great at Nightline. I hope Cynthia McFadden doesn't leave ABC too, she is great. She reminds me of Diane Sawyer.

They say he is going to do something in the News Business so maybe at another network. I hope not CNN because that would be the 3rd prominent personality ABC lost to them.

I was gonna say, CNN has been snatching ABC personnel like crazy recently so I wouldn't be surprised.

Dan Harris is a great anchor and will do great at Nightline. I hope Cynthia McFadden doesn't leave ABC too, she is great. She reminds me of Diane Sawyer.

I was gonna say, CNN has been snatching ABC personnel like crazy recently so I wouldn't be surprised.

He's going to CNN.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/bill-weir-joining-cnn_b199803

That makes it the 4th ABC personality moving to that network, after Berman, Tapper & Cuomo.

Actually 5th because Jim Scuitto also join as a correspondents. CNN starting to get all of ABC former male star personality before they all fell in love with Josh Elliott. I just hope David stays right where he is.

Actually 5th because Jim Scuitto also join as a correspondents. CNN starting to get all of ABC former male star personality before they all fell in love with Josh Elliott. I just hope David stays right where he is.

I always wonder where he left too. I'm shocked his wife didn't join him....

David Muir stays because he's heir apparent to replace Diane if she leaves or George if he replaces Diane.

David Muir stays because he's heir apparent to replace Diane if she leaves or George if he replaces Diane.

I agree David stays, he is ABC's rising star. My only question is if George eventually gets World News (we don't know for sure) does David replace George on GMA or does Josh.

I agree David stays, he is ABC's rising star. My only question is if George eventually gets World News (we don't know for sure) does David replace George on GMA or does Josh.

The common belief, as I and others have heard before, is that World News is in George's contract, so it's all but a given.

Wonder if George would prefer This Week/GMA over World News? Maybe David should get the World News role being that he is already on the weekend program and would take on the program long term rather than George who could step down in another few years. Just some thoughts. Josh, Lara and Amy are the future of GMA, Muir should be on World News. Just some thoughts.

Not to stray from the original topic, but I have an idea...

George does This Week and World News Monday-Thursday. David does WN Friday-Sunday and 20/20. George would be New York-based and keep to the anchor desk, but David would be the globe-trotter, going to the floods and wars and storms and stuff. Steph's name would be on the weekday show, and Muir would maintain the title of weekend anchor, but both would be fixtures for the brand, falling just short of being equals. George would maintain a political outlet (This Week) and a comfortable schedule, and David would most definitely be seen as getting a promotion.

Am I nuts, or is this not as ridiculous as it sounds?

George does This Week and World News Monday-Thursday. David does WN Friday-Sunday and 20/20. George would be New York-based and keep to the anchor desk, but David would be the globe-trotter, going to the floods and wars and storms and stuff. Steph's name would be on the weekday show, and Muir would maintain the title of weekend anchor, but both would be fixtures for the brand, falling just short of being equals. George would maintain a political outlet (This Week) and a comfortable schedule, and David would most definitely be seen as getting a promotion.

I actually like the way that sounds. Allows George to get the WN job and This Week while also giving Muir a promotion. I tend to forget that David also does 20/20.

David Muir is like the Lester Holt of ABC. Josh Elliott strikes me as the kind of person who would cause a commotion if he didn't get George's spot on GMA. My guess is David sticks it out in his current (or slightly expanded) role until George retires from World News and turns the throne over to him.

Wonder if George would prefer This Week/GMA over World News? Maybe David should get the World News role being that he is already on the weekend program and would take on the program long term rather than George who could step down in another few years. Just some thoughts. Josh, Lara and Amy are the future of GMA, Muir should be on World News. Just some thoughts.

Those are some wonderful thoughts.

Josh has been a perfect newsreader and has been great during his time as fill-in co-anchor when GSteph is off for the day. If/when George moves on to World News, I also think he'll be the successor along with Lara (who is just a delight) and Amy (great as NR and fill-in.) and Sam (who is a ray of sunlight, with hair to match).

I won't say what could happen to Robin though. That is too nice to be touched upon yet, but it's okay to be prepared.

I think we can all agree though if George gets World News next, David Muir gets it after George.

I like it but don't know if they would do this.

David Muir is like the Lester Holt of ABC. Josh Elliott strikes me as the kind of person who would cause a commotion if he didn't get George's spot on GMA. My guess is David sticks it out in his current (or slightly expanded) role until George retires from World News and turns the throne over to him.

I agree with all of this.

Josh has been a perfect newsreader and has been great during his time as fill-in co-anchor when GSteph is off for the day. If/when George moves on to World News, I also think he'll be the successor along with Lara (who is just a delight) and Amy (great as NR and fill-in.) and Sam (who is a ray of sunlight, with hair to match).

I won't say what could happen to Robin though. That is too nice to be touched upon yet, but it's okay to be prepared.

I think Josh eventually replaces George on GMA, If Robin leaves, and it will happen on her terms, I think Amy may get it but if Lara did I would be just as happy. There are so many great people at ABC that can replace Josh as newreader then. Just to name a few, Amy if Lara gets Robin's spot, Rebecca Jarvis, Paula Faris, Bianna Golodryga, Dan Harris or Dan Abrams.

I think Josh eventually replaces George on GMA, If Robin leaves, and it will happen on her terms, I think Amy may get it but if Lara did I would be just as happy. There are so many great people at ABC that can replace Josh as newreader then. Just to name a few, Amy if Lara gets Robin's spot, Rebecca Jarvis, Paula Faris, Bianna Golodryga, Dan Harris or Dan Abrams.

I will say that, despite the recent exits, ABC does have a pretty good core of versatile anchor/reporters that can fill in on GMA or Nightline and even World News without missing a beat. Yes, Weir, Tapper, Cuomo and the others may have left, but ABC's picked up Jarvis, Robach and (lest we forget) Byron Pitts in that same time frame. It's hard to argue against the WMAQ pick-ups (Faris, Zee, and Perez), as well.

In regards to Josh and Lara though, we must remember that we may not have seen the last of Good Afternoon America.

I agree with most or what's being said but I hope that if Robin decides to leave in the near future(hopefully no time soon!) that ABC would not put Lara in her spot. Josh is fine but Josh and Lara leading GMA would make it tough for me to take the program seriously. I love Lara but her background isn't in news and I don't enjoy when she's filling in on major news days.

I have a hard time seeing Lara as co-anchor. She's great in her current role, but isn't who I see (at least based on the opportunities she's had thus far) handling major stories. Especially if Josh fills George's seat, a Josh-Lara team is too young. Remember that despite the energy of a morning show, they're often anchored by people with proven, trustworthy careers (think Charlie and Diane, or, for that matter, Robin and George). I could see Josh-Robach. Maybe even Josh-Vargas?

Another interesting question is who is first to leave GMA? Robin or George?

I have a hard time seeing Lara as co-anchor. She's great in her current role, but isn't who I see (at least based on the opportunities she's had thus far) handling major stories. Especially if Josh fills George's seat, a Josh-Lara team is too young. Remember that despite the energy of a morning show, they're often anchored by people with proven, trustworthy careers (think Charlie and Diane, or, for that matter, Robin and George). I could see Josh-Robach. Maybe even Josh-Vargas?

Another interesting question is who is first to leave GMA? Robin or George?

George...and I wouldn't necessarily call a Spencer-Elliott combo young. They're 44 (Lara) and 42. Tom Brokaw and Jane Pauley were relative unknowns at 36 and 26, respectively when they helmed Today starting in '76. Hell, even Katie and Matt were still in their 30s when they were first paired in '97.

I believe ABC realizes that Lara shouldn't be leading GMA and that's why they bring in Amy or Liz to fill in for Robin. Completely agree that Josh-Lara is too young so I would prefer Josh and Liz as anchors with Amy reading news. Maybe a Josh/Liz/Lara trio as co-anchors? As far as who leaves first I can see George moving to World News sooner rather than later and Robin commented last year on her anniversary that she was looking to a much longer career on GMA.

Archived