CBS Evening News Subs

mountainave

Why is it that CBS seems to often call upon anchors from WCBS to anchor the CBS Evening News in Scott Pelley's absence (Maurice DuBois tonight, for example), whereas ABC utilizes talent from the network only (David Muir, George Stephanopoulos, or someone like Dan Harris or Rebecca Jarvis if all else fails)? Smaller talent pool?

I don't watch CBS often so I don't know for sure that this is the norm, but I do recall it happening on more than one occasion. I'm not aware that it's ever happened on ABC or NBC.

I noticed that a LOT of people have been off for winter vacation. Hell, they even had James Brown from The NFL Today host Evening News on the 26th, I think.

It was on Christmas Eve. I had to see it with my own eyes to believe it.

Here's the full newscast from that day if anyone was interested.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/12-24-astronauts-successfully-complete-spacewalk-revisiting-earthrise-45-years-later/

It was on Christmas Eve. I had to see it with my own eyes to believe it.

Here's the full newscast from that day if anyone was interested.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/12-24-astronauts-successfully-complete-spacewalk-revisiting-earthrise-45-years-later/

It blew me away. I was walking past my TV and I heard James' voice and I just stood, staring. I mean, he hosts CBS This Morning, too! He's forth in line if Charlie, Anthony and Jeff can't do it... but since when does that make him forth in line for EN?

Yes, I believe they have a smaller talent pool.

It blew me away. I was walking past my TV and I heard James' voice and I just stood, staring. I mean, he hosts CBS This Morning, too! He's forth in line if Charlie, Anthony and Jeff can't do it... but since when does that make him forth in line for EN?

Brown has filled in before. I've never seen it on a weekday, but he'll pop up once or twice a year on 'EN'. He even anchored 'This Morning' (Saturday) for a few weekends several months ago. As for being fourth in line? I highly doubt it. Bob Schieffer is obviously Pelley's #2. After that, you'd have to go through at least Glor, Axelrod, Mason, O'Donnell and DuBois before Brown would have a chance at reaching the desk.

Has Wragge come back to do any EN work after he anchored The Early Show?

I highly doubt it. As the 6pm anchor, he'd have to relinquish his regular duties in order to the network show. At that point, they might as well pull Maurice. And now that he's on mornings, I'm guessing that ship has sailed, as well.

Guest NewsHound

This is the CBS Evening News with James Brown.

I dunno, it has a nice ring to it. He is a great news man, a great storyteller, he has been with CBS for at least a decade or two (if you subtract his time at FOX) and he should be Pelley's successor if Pelley ever decides to go.

I dunno, it has a nice ring to it. He is a great news man, a great storyteller, he has been with CBS for at least a decade or two (if you subtract his time at FOX) and he should be Pelley's successor if Pelley ever decides to go.

Brown did a great job, I though. But, full-time, no. His replacement will either be Norah O'Donnell, Jeff Glor or Anthony Mason... or they find someone outside CBS.

Brown did a great job, I though. But, full-time, no. His replacement will either be Norah O'Donnell, Jeff Glor or Anthony Mason... or they find someone outside CBS.

I've got to agree, I just watched the link above and got to say that I was Impressed! It always blows me away when I see Sportcasters and Meteorologists do the news. I see it every day on Real Milwaukee on WITI, when Rob Haswell does the news for thse bubbler segment. I've always thought that he wouldn't pay attention to the news because his main job is forecasting during the WakeUp News. Do they really know the news or is it just good prompter reading?

I've got to agree, I just watched the link above and got to say that I was Impressed! It always blows me away when I see Sportcasters and Meteorologists do the news. I see it every day on Real Milwaukee on WITI, when Rob Haswell does the news for thse bubbler segment. I've always thought that he wouldn't pay attention to the news because his main job is forecasting during the WakeUp News. Do they really know the news or is it just good prompter reading?

Brown isn't stupid. I think he knows what he's doing. I think he easily COULD do it, but I think he likes his current position too much to give it up.

Not sold on JB as Pelley's successor. Totally different transition from sports to news on the local side than it is at the national level.

He was OK. Not great, but OK.

WHY IS EVERYONE ASSUMING THAT PELLEY IS LEAVING???

I'm not saying that he is. Pelley is certainly the best of the newscasters, IMO, and I don't want him to leave. Honestly, I think he'll be here for another 15-20 years doing Evening News. But, providing that the people brought up are still around, someone has a hard job to do filling Scott's shoes.

I'm not saying that he is. Pelley is certainly the best of the newscasters, IMO, and I don't want him to leave. Honestly, I think he'll be here for another 15-20 years doing Evening News. But, providing that the people brought up are still around, someone has a hard job to do filling Scott's shoes.

I personally find his editorial style a bit bland. I think everyone else at CBS news is great, but Pelley's copy writing style has struck me has meh.

Archived