KHSL / KNVN New Graphics

NewsMaster

See for yourself. Here's the open:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xZ26vYQ4SY

Wow...that is clearly a knockoff of Look G. Artworks would've at least given them a better font to use, and much better animation to use as well. (I do like the L3's though even considering how cheap they look)

But then again, Northern California north of SF and Sacramento has a track record of cheaply run stations with dated looking graphics. We can't forget what the news in nearby Eureka looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3k5Tc365n4 (Yes, it's really from 2013)

1) hideous logo with a hideous bug

2) was that opening sequence of colors long enough?

3) could that text have animated ANY slower? it was obvious it was trying to be dramatic

4) why was the time and temp bug need to have that sweeping radar effect behind it?

5) the reflection of their "logo" in the colored bars at the end of the open not only was late, but it was too obvious and also bad

sigh...why not just ask for Look G itself? although, to be fair, it DOES genuinely look like a rough sketch of Look G before all of the fancy cleaning, glitz and glamor was added/given to it, so in that sense, it's pretty nice.

Wow...that is clearly a knockoff of Look G. Artworks would've at least given them a better font to use, and much better animation to use as well. (I do like the L3's though even considering how cheap they look)

But then again, Northern California north of SF and Sacramento has a track record of cheaply run stations with dated looking graphics. We can't forget what the news in nearby Eureka looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3k5Tc365n4 (Yes, it's really from 2013)

Let's...just...no? Are you POSITIVE, because that sure the hell looks like it came from 199something. "Bringing you the latest in news, weather and sports..." well no shit? And I have NEVER EVER seen a station's slogan have the registered trademark "R" beside it.

Yep, that's KIEM for you all. It had been worse:

Oh Preston Phillips, now at KGTV.

But I could make better graphics on Powerpoint...:(

Same here. I still have my KTLA mock graphics from Linda Kane Design and Flashpoint era made in Paint and PowerPoint on my hard drive lol

First, I have to get this out of the way....KNOCKOFF! KNOCKOFF! KNOCKOFF! It doesn't even look that good for a knockoff; it sort of reminds me of the cheesy WNBC ripoff that was the KALB look, minus the VO, of course.

I mean, they could have tried to at least make the open look more believable; the introductory sweep across the color blinds is way too long, the text swipes through too slowly, and that logo animation to close this farce of an open looks as if it could have been done by a high school student in After Effects.

I will give them props for the L3's, but the difference in quality is unbelievable.

I mean it's OK. But they couldn't find something else to use besides "Now in HD"? It just looks out of place seeing "Your Community, In Depth, Now In HD". I kinda chuckled when I saw that. It's 2014 do they really need to say they're in HD every second they get?

Considering KHSL is a CBS affiliate, it's kinda odd they would go for a knockoff of Look G and quite honestly a knockoff of Look F would've been better. Yes KNVN is a NBC affiliate but KHSL is the primary station. Oh well. The supers are nice though.

Meanwhile over in Redding (same market), the market leading KRCR refreshed their graphics. The supers are new but everything else (especially the open) uses elements of the previous VDO look. Here's a video:

Yes they use Bonten's standardized "Getting the Facts Right" slogan...

As for KIEM, go to Google maps and look at their building (address is 5650 S Broadway St, Eureka, CA). Do you really expect them to put out a decent product with that amount of space? That and it's a really tiny market. People in Eureka should be fortunate they at least have one broadcast option for local news rather than nothing.

Archived