WPIX bringing back "Air 11"?

NYNewsCoverage

Just noticed this while watching the PIX news at 5 that they had a guy named "Tom" ( I couldn't catch his last name) reporting from "air11". I don't even remember the last time they had air11 in operation and I'm pretty sure this was their own chopper and not a shared chopper. He was reporting on the united plane that hit turbulence, and returned to Newark. Is it me or is this the first time they've had air 11 since they've revamped their newscasts back in 2010? I don't know but if they permanently bring back air11 this gives them a birds eye view of breaking news like other stations, this way they don't have to use photos from other station choppers. I hope they use "air11" more often.

Wow so Air 11 is back interesting. They haven't used that chopper in years so that's crazy. They are really trying to get up there in the ratings but it's gonna be a tough challenge especially nowadays with all of this technology available at ones disposal.

And wow after reading that article that IceMan found on TV Spy I never thought it was that expensive to lease a chopper. Why not just buy it and maintain it?

Also from what I recall, I remember WABC owning NewsCopter 7 and leasing the other one from MetroTraffic is this still happening?

• 1 month later...

It's me.

Tom Zweier. Been flying in Air 11 since April of 2012. Morning and afternoon drive.

Split shift - all me.

No set report times, just breaking news. But they've been using me a lot more of late.

And yes, that was me on 1010 & channel 4.

Hope I cleared it up a bit. -Thanks guys.

-tz

• 4 weeks later...

Archived