Winter Storm "Janus" Coverage

NYNewsCoverage

http://ftvlive.com/todays-news/2014/1/22/snow-brings-big-ratings-to-the-big-apple

Big ratings for NYC station...At 11pm WABC #1 with WNBC #2 and WCBS at #3...10pm WNYW #1 and WPIX #2.

I wonder if WABC was slightly lower at 4pm because of the Cablevision outage.

What I find really funny is that at 5pm, when viewers were tuning in with a news lead in for everyone but WNYW, WABC just sky rockets. That shows how many people choose WABC for pure news rather than just because of a good lead in.

I would like to know what 4pm looks like on a normal day. I know WABC is usually behind WCBS and WNBC but I would like to see the numbers them selves.

I wonder if WABC was slightly lower at 4pm because of the Cablevision outage.

What I find really funny is that at 5pm, when viewers were tuning in with a news lead in for everyone but WNYW, WABC just sky rockets. That shows how many people choose WABC for pure news rather than just because of a good lead in.

I would like to know what 4pm looks like on a normal day. I know WABC is usually behind WCBS and WNBC but I would like to see the numbers them selves.

Might have been behind WCBS at 4pm just because they usually are. Judge Judy viewers prob tuned in and just stuck around Channel 2 for the special report. But WOW, Channel 7 sure does hold a commanding lead. Like you mentioned, the ratings absolutely did skyrocket at 5pm while WCBS and WNBC actually lost viewers at 5pm. And if you look at 11pm, Channel 7 more that doubles its lead in rating to make a quick jump to #1 at 11pm from #4 at 10pm. Obviously I prefer Ch. 7 but those numbers and stats are really just impressive.

I know, I said that exact statement as I was watching. Unlike WCBS, who has the reporter driving and talking at the same time (not sure about WNBC). That's exactly why WABC is #1. They definitely deserve to be!

WABC is not number one because their people don't drive while reporting. They're number one for other reasons.

But I agree that reporting on TV while driving is a huge distraction. (It's not the holding of the cell phone to your ear that's dangerous... it's the conversation!)

It took everyone awhile to get this storm nailed down. Weather Channel was calling it a clipper parade but it looked like it was going to be a bit stronger than your average clipper. They didn't name it until 2pm Monday.

WABC is not number one because their people don't drive while reporting. They're number one for other reasons.

But I agree that reporting on TV while driving is a huge distraction. (It's not the holding of the cell phone to your ear that's dangerous... it's the conversation!)

WCAU here constantly reminded viewers that no, the reporter isn't driving. And they had a couple of people doing in-van reporting.

And yeah, talent not reporting and driving isn't why WABC is perennially number one. Good talent, a familiar brand, and a good product are.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived