New Fox Sports graphics (for real this time!)

Viper550

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm super excited to see what they come up with for baseball. This package would also be great for golf; it matches the sport well.

I think the one possible upside is that the package isn't as aggressively masculine. Unfortunately, as a result, it also is a little blah, if you ask me.

I agree; I even speculated that this was the main reason they were changing it. With the launch of FS1, they're trying to dip their toes into a more "mainstream" feel.

It's a change of pace, and it reminds me of NBC's look in places (well, particularly the use of sparkles), which also went from being incredibly aggressive (talking to you, NFL and NHL) to something more versatile.

I think the previous package had some flaws, such as getting a bit long in the tooth, as well as being a little too aggressively masculine and "in your face" as I noted before, as to make it unsuitable for some more sedate sports, such as golf. Unfortunately, this new package has lost what the old package had: personality.

I also don't particularly care for the font choice. The italicized version looks particularly bad, and the combination of italics along with standard fonts of various levels of kerning, to me, just looks messy and somewhat unprofessional. I think what they were going for was something similar to NBC's sports package, with a distinct FOX "twist" to it. However, I think NBC's is so far and away superior. It's so much sleeker and altogether more perfected.

I think the previous package had some flaws, such as getting a bit long in the tooth, as well as being a little too aggressively masculine and "in your face" as I noted before, as to make it unsuitable for some more sedate sports, such as golf. Unfortunately, this new package has lost what the old package had: personality.

I also don't particularly care for the font choice. The italicized version looks particularly bad, and the combination of italics along with standard fonts of various levels of kerning, to me, just looks messy and somewhat unprofessional. I think what they were going for was something similar to NBC's sports package, with a distinct FOX "twist" to it. However, I think NBC's is so far and away superior. It's so much sleeker and altogether more perfected.

NBC's look is clean and thin while this look for FOX, to me, looks thick and very heavy, yet also very much like something out of a Madden game.

Looks like FOX Sports is actually listening to its viewers/Nascar fans. They plan to tweak the leaderboard graphic in time for the Daytona 500 this Sunday. No specific mention of how they will tweak it, but at least they listened to the fans.

http://dailysentinel.com/news/sports/auto-racing/article_4802cf65-f4e2-5c11-a608-ff0225ce9588.html

All they did was get rid of the constant Top 5 display. Personally, I think it was just because of the smaller field.

If I were them, I would have used the same style, but maybe with wider boxes arranged into a 3x2 or 4x2 rectangle in the top corner (kinda like the old "metallic" FSN scorebox for baseball). That way, they can keep the layout similar, but not take up all that space.

Interesting. Hopefully people will be happier with this layout. I like how many names they're able to fit on screen at once, too.

People want intervals, but once during the race it moved to a 2x3 instead with speeds on the sides. I thought we would see that with intervals, but we didn't and since it's at Daytona, I didn't mind not having that, but that will be a must at Phoenix and beyond.

Despite the new graphics, I cannot get over how biased and unprofessional Darrell Waltrip is in the booth and how annoying of a commentator he is overall. His cheering over Dale Jr.'s win while live on the air really set me over the edge. If a commentator showed that kind of bias on any other network or even on Fox for any other sport, said commentator would have likely been suspended or fired on the spot. New graphics or not, I don't think I can tolerate watching races on Fox. I have boycotted Fox's coverage for several years now due to the Waltrips and also the rather annoying production style that focuses on fluff rather than substance, and after the nonsense at the end of the race on Sunday, I'm reminded that I should probably continue to boycott until Fox is done for their part of the season.

The other networks aren't much better, though, especially since TNT and ESPN are both lame ducks. I sincerely hope that for next year, NBC will put together a dynamite on-air team and also a production team that is willing to focus the coverage on true racing fans rather than trying to inject fluff into everything.

Despite the new graphics, I cannot get over how biased and unprofessional Darrell Waltrip is in the booth and how annoying of a commentator he is overall. His cheering over Dale Jr.'s win while live on the air really set me over the edge. If a commentator showed that kind of bias on any other network or even on Fox for any other sport, said commentator would have likely been suspended or fired on the spot. New graphics or not, I don't think I can tolerate watching races on Fox. I have boycotted Fox's coverage for several years now due to the Waltrips and also the rather annoying production style that focuses on fluff rather than substance, and after the nonsense at the end of the race on Sunday, I'm reminded that I should probably continue to boycott until Fox is done for their part of the season.

The other networks aren't much better, though, especially since TNT and ESPN are both lame ducks. I sincerely hope that for next year, NBC will put together a dynamite on-air team and also a production team that is willing to focus the coverage on true racing fans rather than trying to inject fluff into everything.

They poached Burns, Marty, and Massaro for pit reporters/host respectively, and your commentators are going to be Rick Allen (CWTS and ARCA on FS1 lead commentator), Jeff Burton, and Steve Letarte

They poached Burns, Marty, and Massaro for pit reporters/host respectively, and your commentators are going to be Rick Allen (CWTS and ARCA on FS1 lead commentator), Jeff Burton, and Steve Letarte

and Kelli Stavast for pit road.

I was curious to see if the new box was faster as promised so I ran my own experiment. I used last year's Aaron's 499 and this year's 500 for comparison. The old ticker took 1:01 to get through the whole field, even though I thought it was faster than normal, but the new box took just a whopping 36 seconds. I was honestly surprised. I thought it would be a smaller difference, but it was 25 seconds faster.

Fox is still using the old graphics for spring training as expected. They always wait until the start of the regular season to debut the new look. I'm really curious what they're gonna do for the score box.

And let's all hope that Fox's graphics rollout is going to stay consistent across all sports. Remember how bad they were in the '00s with graphics rollouts? The one "slanted" graphics package debuted at the start of the 2003 NFL season and didn't debut for MLB until the 2004 *Postseason*, not even the regular season. Then their "HD" graphics package debuted at the start of the 2006 NFL season but didn't get used for MLB until the start of the 2008 regular season, and then they changed to that ugly FSN graphics package for the 2009 MLB season.

Even though the new management at Fox Sports may have made the stupid decision to use the NFL music for everything, at least they have gotten a lot more consistent with the graphics rollouts instead of always giving MLB the second fiddle treatment.

Fox is still using the old graphics for spring training as expected. They always wait until the start of the regular season to debut the new look. I'm really curious what they're gonna do for the score box.

And let's all hope that Fox's graphics rollout is going to stay consistent across all sports. Remember how bad they were in the '00s with graphics rollouts? The one "slanted" graphics package debuted at the start of the 2003 NFL season and didn't debut for MLB until the 2004 *Postseason*, not even the regular season. Then their "HD" graphics package debuted at the start of the 2006 NFL season but didn't get used for MLB until the start of the 2008 regular season, and then they changed to that ugly FSN graphics package for the 2009 MLB season.

Even though the new management at Fox Sports may have made the stupid decision to use the NFL music for everything, at least they have gotten a lot more consistent with the graphics rollouts instead of always giving MLB the second fiddle treatment.

I seem to recall that they updated the scorebox the last weekend of spring training. So maybe March 28 or 29th we could see something new? It would give them a few days to work out the kinks. I just hope that the scores are easier to see with this new package. The pill style scorebox was a lot better IMO.

FS1 is airing some Spring Training ball right now. It's a simulcast of FS West's Angels coverage, using the old graphics, AND with the old MLB theme song.

In short...This. Means. Nothing.

Perusing through FOX Sports Florida's Twitter feed and they confirmed what we have known/suspected for a few weeks now...

FOX Sports Marlins ‏@FOXMarlins Feb 25

FOX baseball meetings in LA. New graphics and a whole new look coming on Fox Sports Florida for 2014!!! pic.twitter.com/AsKhDalSBa

It's going to be interesting to see when the new graphics debut. The Dodgers and Diamondbacks play an opening series on March 22nd in Sydney, but everyone else opens their season up on March 31st (except for those teams playing on Sunday Night Baseball 3/30).

• 3 weeks later...

So I was reading the Media Views article on the St. Louis Post-Dispatch website, and came across this nugget in regards to the new graphics coming to the FOX regionals for baseball season...

Once the scene shifts Monday from the new studio to the game itself, Leinwand said the audience will see “new graphics that are cleaner (sharper) than before, and new animation similar to what has appeared on Fox’s NASCAR telecasts this year.”

To that end, the box with the score, count and inning is being moved to the lower left corner of the screen. That will be the case for other Fox regional outlets as well as at the network level.

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/television/dan-caesar/media-views-more-mclaughlin-new-studio-highlight-fsm-s-cards/article_0061ece5-36f8-5fb5-bb27-8c0148953a57.html

Not sure that i'm going to like the FOX box on the bottom of the screen, it just seems like it takes up more space there for some reason. I wonder how long it will be before they get flooded with complaints and go back to the previous set-up.

Archived