New Fox Sports graphics (for real this time!)

Viper550

So I was reading the Media Views article on the St. Louis Post-Dispatch website, and came across this nugget in regards to the new graphics coming to the FOX regionals for baseball season...

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/television/dan-caesar/media-views-more-mclaughlin-new-studio-highlight-fsm-s-cards/article_0061ece5-36f8-5fb5-bb27-8c0148953a57.html

Not sure that i'm going to like the FOX box on the bottom of the screen, it just seems like it takes up more space there for some reason. I wonder how long it will be before they get flooded with complaints and go back to the previous set-up.

I think a baseball graphic should be either a bar on top, box in the top left, or a box in the bottom right, and nothing else. To think about the box on the bottom left is weird, but we'll see. I think they're trying to go too bold on there graphics and it's not working out for them, although, I must say, ever since they made changes and tweaks, the NASCAR graphic looks great.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a baseball graphic should be either a bar on top, box in the top left, or a box in the bottom right, and nothing else. To think about the box on the bottom left is weird, but we'll see. I think they're trying to go too bold on there graphics and it's not working out for them, although, I must say, ever since they made changes and tweaks, the NASCAR graphic looks great.

ESPN uses a box in the bottom-right, and I think that had worked out pretty good

Sportsnet's been using a bar along the bottom since 2012 (the most recent incarnation is based off their NHL scoreboard)

2014-March-28-19-46-1.jpg

(obviously there isn't an MLB Network ticker/stuff everywhere. Heck, they don't even run a ticker at all during games)

One of the problems of having the scorebar/boxes on the bottom is that along with the ticker and the lower 3rd's the bottom of the screen will be cluttered. It works fine for basketball because these graphics cover up the audience (on the shots looking down onto the court), in baseball, these graphics cover up the field of play. ESPN's scorebox is way to large, they should have gone with a rectangular shape instead. I'll post up some graphics of the various RSN's on Monday, but I will say that the new Sportnet LA graphics are great. The scorebox is in the bottom right hand corner, and with no ticker, it really does not distract/obstruct from the play on the field.

FS San Diego just jumped the gun (like we expected someone to) and debuted the new graphics today. Since Fox is trying to be "different" from everyone else with their presentation of their score bugs this time around, they decided to put the score graphic in the lower left.

http://i.imgur.com/gjCeNMd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Xb5SpCE.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZZFRY2n.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fZYzpqH.jpg

I do like the fact that the pitcher's name is always on screen, and the batting order and defense graphics are much better with this package. They looked so horrible and cheaply designed with the previous package.

These graphics must look horrible in standard def, though. Everything is so tiny.

Clean and simple. And the scoreboard on the left is a good idea. A definite improvement.

It is clean and simple, but it lacks color, and I like color. Also, the box is about as basic as 1996. I'd still prefer it to be on the top left, though.

Same complaint as I've made already: they've neutered the graphics, leaving them bereft of personality.

Graphics don't need personality, they need to convey information and do it clearly and concisely. These do that way better than the old graphics which were so small they were very hard to read from farther than maybe 4 feet away, especially the inning and balls and strikes. I can remember having to get closer to the tv to read those things. Personality or not I can actually read these.

Graphics don't need personality, they need to convey information and do it clearly and concisely. These do that way better than the old graphics which were so small they were very hard to read from farther than maybe 4 feet away, especially the inning and balls and strikes. I can remember having to get closer to the tv to read those things. Personality or not I can actually read these.

I actually disagree with you to a point. Yes, They should be clear and easy to read but They also put a mark of how station should be taken as. I know crazy but I'll throw an example out there because I see The WXYZ logo there... Scripps have there graphics style, Post have there own style. Sinclair even as much as they are hated here has their style and for the most part they match their products.

The problem with FOX Sports' New graphics is the look doesn't match the product. FOX Sports is exciting and fresh... The Score graphics with the blandness of them don't capture the spirt of FOX Sports at all. Other parts do accompish that but the In game Score graphics acutally make the make the rest of it not look as good as it could be.

I actually disagree with you to a point. Yes, They should be clear and easy to read but They also put a mark of how station should be taken as. I know crazy but I'll throw an example out there because I see The WXYZ logo there... Scripps have there graphics style, Post have there own style. Sinclair even as much as they are hated here has their style and for the most part they match their products.

The problem with FOX Sports' New graphics is the look doesn't match the product. FOX Sports is exciting and fresh... The Score graphics with the blandness of them don't capture the spirt of FOX Sports at all. Other parts do accompish that but the In game Score graphics acutally make the make the rest of it not look as good as it could be.

Fox sports is hardly exciting and fresh, I'm watching the graphics right now and they look great. But of the major sports broadcasters (Fox, NBC, CBS and ESPN) Fox has the cheapest and crappiest coverage. Period. The message to take from almost everything Fox even beyond sports is we don't change things, we rarely update our programming and graphics and frankly we don't care. Look at their old graphics, they were absolute crap, hard to read and way too small. The nfl coverage hasn't changed much in over a decade, their baseball really hasn't either. When I watch CBS and NBC NFL coverage for example I get a professional feeling. That is not possible on Fox.

I'm still a bit puzzled as to why FOX Sports went with a completely subdued graphics package. Yes, the old one's were getting pretty bad after all the tweaks, but they had some oomph to them, these are as simple as you can get- or based on tweets made, they look like video game graphics. I don't like that they went back to a box, it's clunky and it takes up valuable space on the screen. HDTV sports was not made to clutter the screen with graphics and useless crap. Instead, they should have gone with a rectangular or line bar ( like Root Sports or the line box from a few years ago). They could take the fox box and stretch it out on-top and it would make it a lot better. The funny thing is that the opens are customized for each team- at least where they show the facade of the stadium and the team logo appears. Plus they have some pretty nice elements such as the transition animations or some of the full screens, but they missed the mark with the FOX box and the lower 3rds. If anything, they should have followed NBC's lead, their graphics are nice, clean, and easy to read.

I know many of the regionals never abandoned it, but it appears that the FOX baseball them has returned on a network level. I've caught it a few times on the new weeknight MLB show on FS1, but their Saturday afternoon game coverage is using it, as well. I have heard them use the football sounder, then go into the MLB theme, too, which doesn't sound as bad as one might think.

I know many of the regionals never abandoned it, but it appears that the FOX baseball them has returned on a network level. I've caught it a few times on the new weeknight MLB show on FS1, but their Saturday afternoon game coverage is using it, as well. I have heard them use the football sounder, then go into the MLB theme, too, which doesn't sound as bad as one might think.

I wouldn't throw any parties just yet when it comes to them bringing back the baseball theme til the 4PM game of the week on FOX. Remember the FS1 games are produced by the regional FSes. Now if the baseball theme is used for the Game of the Week then I'll be happy.

That aside I really like this look and will be intrigued to see what it'll look like for football, hockey and basketball. The old look in its original incarnation was ok but it went to hell after each refresh and watching their Vizrt system struggle to even fart out that look in the end was just bad. This is looks is so much cleaner and actually looks like an evolution of the silver box package that was used before the last look.

Does anyone think that they might use the baseball music on FS1 and the NFL music for the games that are on the main Fox network? I could see them doing something bizarre like that.

Doubt it. Those games they did today would have been on the main network a year ago so I think we've got our wish.

I wouldn't throw any parties just yet when it comes to them bringing back the baseball theme til the 4PM game of the week on FOX. Remember the FS1 games are produced by the regional FSes. Now if the baseball theme is used for the Game of the Week then I'll be happy.

They used the Football music during the Daytona 500 the other week so it's still being used outside football it seems.

As far as these graphics, I am warming up to them. I like the fact that I can read the scoreboard without having to put glasses on. The last Foxbox had a terrible choice in font which made it hard to read, in addition to everything being scrunched up on the top left hand corner of the screen. This new Foxbox has more space and is much easier to read.

They used the Football music during the Daytona 500 the other week so it's still being used outside football it seems.

NASCAR really hasn't had a traditional theme since 2006. They used "NASCAR Love" from 07 through 2010 - which I really liked - and they also used the instrumental to NASCAR Love which I think really fits FOX and the sport well. In 11 and 12 they used "Sideways" and starting in 2013 the NFL theme has been in use for every single race.

As for baseball, I've heard that the resurrected theme will only be in use on Saturday afternoon games on FOX and FS1, the Division Series and the League Championship Series while Baseball Night in America, the ASG, and the World Series will use the NFL theme. I sure hope the latter isn't true because I'd love to hear the ASG and World Series orchestral theme again, but there's no word on that yet.

• 4 months later...

So, with the International Champions Cup, we got to see what the soccer version looks like.

vNrCqkZ.jpg

It's, well, exactly what I expected. This entire look is quite predictable...

And, we got a new NFL logo for this season too

wCv5IJp.jpg

Sorry for the image being big, and the quality of the stream, but here's the football portion of FOX's new graphics debut during the Chiefs vs Panthers preseason match.Panthers%20vs%20Chiefs.JPG?_subject_uid=59434421&w=AAAFDKqv_zW8QXtQKjDa8f4I5QvjAIWnKzg9D5IShfV-UA

The image is busted, at least for me...

Archived