Apparently, KXVA/KIDY Got An Overhaul.

Big Country News

I was looking at the facebook pages of KXVA/KIDY, and I saw something that surprised me. A new logo, new graphics, full weathercasts, and even a full anchor team. From what I gather, they have a local broadcast at 9:00PM for Abilene and 9:30PM for San Angelo. The thing that shocks me, is that the newscasts are in HD. This means they are the second to do so in Abilene and First in San Angelo.

WpxSK7p.png

I can't see their open or any other graphics, but this looks promising.

I was looking at the facebook pages of KXVA/KIDY, and I saw something that surprised me. A new logo, new graphics, full weathercasts, and even a full anchor team. From what I gather, they have a local broadcast at 9:00PM for Abilene and 9:30PM for San Angelo. The thing that shocks me, is that the newscasts are in HD.

This means they are the second to do so in Abilene and First in San Angelo.

WpxSK7p.png

I can't see their open or any other graphics, but this looks promising.

Graphics: looking good and yes Kansas First News uses that particular graphic for their weather segment.

Looks like London finally made good on their promise. I knew as early as mid-Spring 2013 London was looking to end the KABB siumlcast and launch a full news department. London (and their previous owner) paid Sinclair to carry KABB's news. The previous stopgap measure seemed to work fine for them but I commend them for giving these markets a new news choice.

This product looks professional, like they put effort into it. The local news cut-ins they had been doing looked like a middle school production.

Unfortunately, it looks like they do not have a WorldNow site yet like their sister stations. I'm guessing it's in the works however.

London is one of the good groups out there; they definitely invest in their stations and they are really good about giving back to the communities they serve. And they are very proud of their Texas roots.

EDIT: It appears this new newscast launched Jan 20th.

Their previous logo:

tv6r.png

Yeah, what they have now is much much better.

Their previous logo was just that, "kid(d)y". I dig that new logo with just two points. The bar separating the call letters and the cool 'texan FOX' logo i feel can be taken out and then position the logo better. Would look great for a mic flag, let alone an on air display. Nonetheless, better than before, yes.

Anything is an improvement over this.

Sadly, the intro to that was an improvement of

Not a bad group there in terms of the anchor team, at least. Rick Tomlin has been around the area for a while - I think he was anchoring on KRBC back in the day, and with the exception of Kris Nation, all of them have been on in Abilene beforehand.

Would like to see more of what the new product looks like. As has been stated before, London actually does open the wallet when it comes to the technical side of things. Hope some clips emerge...

Anything is an improvement over this.

Sadly, the intro to that was an improvement of

Not a bad group there in terms of the anchor team, at least. Rick Tomlin has been around the area for a while - I think he was anchoring on KRBC back in the day, and with the exception of Kris Nation, all of them have been on in Abilene beforehand.

Would like to see more of what the new product looks like. As has been stated before, London actually does open the wallet when it comes to the technical side of things. Hope some clips emerge...

Yeah that was pretty bad. The lighting was horrible and it made the anchor look too bright, almost like a ghost.

I believe Skyler Nichols is still there, but now as a reporter. I wish they would've made her an anchor as she had an opportunity to establish viewer familiarity but whatever, I guess.

I grabbed some screenshots through 'Syncbak' tonight. Good presentation by the anchors, and the graphics are great! I now also know that they use Extreme by Stephen Arnold. (KXVA and KIDY are mirror images)

0EQpJxC.png

isrTHJd.png

7fCa30U.png

ZoByEUS.png

4xfNlXM.pngYwjKdqa.png

Actually looks pretty good. My only gripe is the virtual set but since it's a brand new operation, I have to cut them some slack.

Seems like they're handling their launch much better than others *cough* WJZY *cough*.

Actually looks pretty good. My only gripe is the virtual set but since it's a brand new operation, I have to cut them some slack.

Seems like they're handling their launch much better than others *cough* WJZY *cough*.

Looks like they're using VDO for the graphics. I didn't even know they were still in business...

Lack of studio space is the reason for the virtual set. London would've built them an actual set if they had the space. Since it's market 196 (they also beam a newscast to DMA 166 Abilene, but they originate in San Angelo), I don't think finding them larger facilities was a priority for the company. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they were using a Tricaster as their production switcher instead of a full setup.

And yes, sadly stations in DMAs 166/196 have put out a better product than an O&O in DMA 25.

(they also beam a newscast to DMA 166 Abilene, but they originate in San Angelo)

The apparently have an Abilene office, too. Who knows, they could have moved.

Anyway, I like the fact that the bigger market (166) has news at 9 and the smaller (196) has news at 9:30.

The two markets combined would be around DMA 141, with 171,000 households.

KTXE (San Angelo satellite of KTXS) already treats it as one market, and I could see a merger. I'm not sure how that works and all, but I think the station owners would be for it. Nexstar would sell its two stations in San Antonio, or maybe even shut them down; Bonten would would do the same to KTXE; and I'm sure London would let go of KID(d)Y.

If they treated the San Angelo stations as full satellites, they might be able to merge. Let KRBC be the primary NBC with Abilene-focused news and KLST be the primary CBS with San Angelo-based news. (Especially since Nexstar/Mission own the NBC and CBS stations in both markets)

Going back, KSAN (originally KACB) was a satellite of KRBC, but separated in 1998 (per Wikipedia).

Congrats to KIDY/KXVA for the new newscasts!

J

If they treated the San Angelo stations as full satellites, they might be able to merge. Let KRBC be the primary NBC with Abilene-focused news and KLST be the primary CBS with San Angelo-based news. (Especially since Nexstar/Mission own the NBC and CBS stations in both markets)

Going back, KSAN (originally KACB) was a satellite of KRBC, but separated in 1998 (per Wikipedia).

Congrats to KIDY/KXVA for the new newscasts!

J

Yeah, they really should be consolidated. It'd form a more conventional split-city market rather than this one that's kind of implied.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of VDO: Where have they gone? I can't find their website anywhere.

I noticed that too a couple of weeks ago and forgot to post something about it. Curious if Nexstar shifting more towards NBC artworks was a nail in the coffin? or perhaps Diane Streyer decided to do something else and they closed shop? So I guess that means stations that are still using them and recent stations to get HD packages are sure in luck?!? Sounds like they may not have to ever worry about renewal licenses to continue airing the packages.

Archived