LA Groove

TVLurker

I like it, but being from the UK, I am used to all of our local news themes closely connected to our national news theme music, and usually by the same composer. I like LA Groove but I feel that is there was a local news theme for NBC that was truly based on The Mission but still had a local feeling then it would work across a lot of stations.

LA Groove is a fine package, but it should have never left Los Angeles, or if it did, stayed out of major markets like New York and Philadelphia. It's also something that gets old after a while.

LA Groove is not Tower. It'll never be something so great and that NBC affiliates everywhere want to pick up.

FWIW, it no longer goes by L.A. Groove. Groove Worx has it as the NBC News Package. You also can't rule out some updated cuts for the opens, etc. This particular update has been around since 2006, so it's definitely time for an update.

LA Groove is a fine package, but it should have never left Los Angeles, or if it did, stayed out of major markets like New York and Philadelphia. It's also something that gets old after a while.

LA Groove is not Tower. It'll never be something so great and that NBC affiliates everywhere want to pick up.

Here here!

I would like to point out that L.A. Groove is the package created in 2004 and almost exclusively used on KNBC and that KNBC News is the package created in 2007 and in current use across the nation. However, take note that this package has been rebranded as NBC News to lose the Los Angeles affiliation.

It constantly annoys me how people cannot refer to the package by it's correct name.

LA Groove is nothing but what its name describes: LA. Forcing it on the other O&O's (bar KXAS, WMAQ, and WVIT), is not something that works. KXAS has 360 NBC, which was 'custom' and it fits Texas pretty well. In my opinion, NBC should go to 360 (or Arnold) for music more often.

I would love to hear something from inthegroove for NBC!

FWIW, it no longer goes by L.A. Groove. Groove Worx has it as the NBC News Package. You also can't rule out some updated cuts for the opens, etc. This particular update has been around since 2006, so it's definitely time for an update.

Hmm. I just went to their website the other day and didn't know that. And it appears that GrooveWorx also created a news package for the Univision affiliates. But that's another thread...

Okay, this is a review of LA Groove KNBC 2007 from someone who just got it, with one of his favorite themes sacrificed in the process. Just saying that in case any bias seeps through here.

---

I don't believe in the whole theory that themes "don't fit" stations. Oftentimes, they accompany a quite radical change of image and tone. News in Focus started out similarly to this - it was used exclusively in LA for years, then migrated to New York and Philly. New York was doing a "back to basics" broadcast, while Philly was shedding the remnants of its old "KYW-3" identity. I still think News in Focus is a tremendous theme, the best to ever use the WBBM/CBS O&O signature, and it totally fit both NYC and Philly.

Likewise, I think KNBC 2007 was an upgrade for WNBC. That NBC New Generation theme they were using was pure garbage, had no sense of urgency, and really didn't fit the station, which had used soaring melodies for years prior. LA Groove is much closer to the traditional WNBC theme. (I actually kind of expect the

part of the WNBC 2003 pack on some of the cuts. It fits New York. I don't know why everyone says it doesn't.

Likewise with the recent refresh at WCAU, I get what they're going for. They're going for a more upscale look and feel. A big orchestra instead of a marching band, horns, or the Gari Synthesizers. A slower, lusher, fuller theme. Dignified serifs and blue and white over the technicolor flying logos of 6ABC and Fox 29 and whatever the hell CBS is using. I actually think I like the refreshed graphics more than the heavily modified versions they replaced.

What also helps is that WCAU, unlike some other stations, is actually digging into the package and using as many cuts as they can. The bumper cue, for instance, is much different and more... I think serious is the term I'd use. They use a different stinger going into and out of breaks. They use the "Investigation" cuts for their Breaking News stings (and I love how the revised graphic is synchronized to the chimes). I like the sports theme, and I liked the piano arrangement they were using for @Issue.

If I had to choose between this and 360 O&O, it'd be the latter every time. 360's package had more variety and more themes in different styles. That said, again, I know what they're going for now and it's kind of pointless to compare the two. 10 used names and stings for virtually everything in 2011 - not so much these days. And it doesn't feel as... bleh as the NBC New Gen crap they were using prior to picking up the 360 Music package.

So, in short... no, I don't think LA Groove sucks. For what it is, I think it's a good package.

Likewise with the recent refresh at WCAU, I get what they're going for. They're going for a more upscale look and feel. A big orchestra instead of a marching band, horns, or the Gari Synthesizers. A slower, lusher, fuller theme. Dignified serifs and blue and white over the technicolor flying logos of 6ABC and Fox 29 and whatever the hell CBS is using. I actually think I like the refreshed graphics more than the heavily modified versions they replaced.

What also helps is that WCAU, unlike some other stations, is actually digging into the package and using as many cuts as they can. The bumper cue, for instance, is much different and more... I think serious is the term I'd use. They use a different stinger going into and out of breaks. They use the "Investigation" cuts for their Breaking News stings (and I love how the revised graphic is synchronized to the chimes). I like the sports theme, and I liked the piano arrangement they were using for @Issue.

Yes but in my opinion it feels like a downgrade. While KNBC, KXAS and WTVJ look distinctive. This just looks like a carbon copy of WNBC and KNTV; especially since they don't change the pitch of the theme to make it more grand or epic. The old theme at least had style and originality to distinguish yourself and you knew you were watching WCAU when you tuned into the channel. I would of liked to see them adopt the same graphics as KNBC and customize them a bit so that they're distinctive but then again, we're dealt with what we're given. Don't get me wrong, I think the theme is bombastic and fun, I just don't like it being used everywhere. Ruins the appeal.

Good to know they're trying to get as much milage as they can out of this.

I don't think being unique amongst the stations matters as much as being unique to the market.

Yeah, WCAU might be using the same look as WNBC and KNTV, but the lowers look great, the graphics look a lot more polished, and the look is a lot cleaner. But the serif font, the orchestral music, and the general feel set WCAU apart from KYW (which is trying to copy what CAU had), WPVI, and WTXF. All of them have chrome text flying around. 10 doesn't.

It stands out in the market, which is much more important than standing out amongst the O&Os.

• 4 months later...

On a semi-related note, what was the website someone found a few months ago that had LA Groove and (I want to say) the Univision package on it?

Never mind, found it. It was on the composer's website...duh.

• 2 months later...

On a semi-related note, what was the website someone found a few months ago that had LA Groove and (I want to say) the Univision package on it?

Never mind, found it. It was on the composer's website...duh.

That's just the sampler disc.

• 3 months later...

Wow, big downgrade. The new cuts sound so dark and dramatic. Not sure how well they'll fit in with the graphics.

I don't see anyone already using the package switching to this and NBC isn't crazy with what music their stations can use like CBS is so don't expect their stations to all switch to it either.

Those breaking news cuts sound way too fun, energetic, happy, perky and "pop music-y" to ever convey a sense of breaking news or another serious story in my opinion. Frankly, it sounds like they tried to take LA Groove the package and do with it what I had originally said it would never be; make it into something grand like Tower is. It's like they made an attempt to make it orchestral like the original Tower version, but failed at it.

I noticed this especially in the "NBC14 ELECTIONS FULL MIX" clip. It felt like a mix of Tower, BBC, and Mission. It might sound a little bit better if that base wasn't in the background keeping the beat. It ESPECIALLY feels like BBC in the "INTRO short" piece. Tune in at :43 seconds and you'll hear what I mean. For a little bit I actually forgot that it was a NBC News package it felt so BBC News-ish. Did Grooveworx produce BBC's package?

To be fair, I'm a bit of a musician myself, so I'm probably being more critical and picking it apart more than most people would.

Archived