CBS Atlanta rebrands as CBS 46

promoguy98

Now that I've seen some more of the new look, I'm actually kind of disappointed that WGCL doesn't use the variety of opening cuts that the O&Os do (they use the same dang cut for every newscast). Instead, they're using a hodgepodge of cuts from almost every Enforcer generation.

I love their new look. They are finally (hopefully) looking like a CBS station. I am getting a feeling WGCL may make to 3rd place by May sweeps. I could've said 2nd but that's aiming too high.

Now that I've seen some more of the new look, I'm actually kind of disappointed that WGCL doesn't use the variety of opening cuts that the O&Os do (they use the same dang cut for every newscast). Instead, they're using a hodgepodge of cuts from almost every Enforcer generation.

KPHO still uses some of the original 1994 Enforcer cuts. It just doesn't work in 2014.

• 2 weeks later...

KPHO still uses some of the original 1994 Enforcer cuts. It just doesn't work in 2014.

I disagree. I think the original version is still great as of now. I guess WPVI and WABC's music should update their music too.

I disagree. I think the original version is still great as of now. I guess WPVI and WABC's music should update their music too.

Obviously KPHO agreed, because within days of me posting that they switched to The Edge.

WPVI, WABC and WKBW are different animals with *heritage*. That really isn't the case in Phoenix, where nobody had ever used the Palmer package or a variant of it prior to KPHO doing so in 2005. But it is in, say, Cedar Rapids, where KCRG picked up the original PNP and followed it up by licensing the PNP cuts of Millennium 3 and then Enforcer.

• 2 months later...

Great. We need to wash away the current CBS () 46 logo and see if we can bring back the () 46 logo circa 2005.

Not yet, you know that WGCL only changes its branding every five years! Or maybe that's not soon enough. One of many reasons WGCL still sucks is the fact that they can't make up their mind on branding. Here's a snapshot of branding in Atlanta going all the way back to 1970 among the other three stations:

• WSB has been Action News since 1972 (Channel 2 Action News since ~1989 or so). Before that, various flavors of Newsroom.
  • WAGA has been Fox 5 News since 1998. Prior to that, WAGA was largely some flavor of Eyewitness News going back to the early 1980s, and News Scene going back to the early 1970s.
  • WXIA has been 11Alive News since 1995 (in its current form...we try to forget that "11 News" ever happened,) and from 1979-1993. Prior to that, 11Alive News....room.

Seems relatively easy to follow, right? Now for WGCL/WGNX:

• WGCL/WGNX has had various newscast brandings since 1989. There's so many that I may have even missed a few:
    CBS46 News (2003/2004*-2009; 2014-): Yes, this includes the infamous
    !! used from 2003-2004.
  • CBS Atlanta News (2009-2014; 1999-2000; 2002-2003)
  • Clear News (2000-2002)
  • Georgia's News at Ten (1989-1994)
  • The 11:00 News on 46 (1994-~1998)
  • News at 7:30 (?-1994): I don't actually know when this began.
  • WGNX News (~1998-1999)

I'll give the Spanish language stations (WUVG and WKTB) a pass since their news operations are relatively new. None of the PBS stations air any local newscasts.

Archived