CBS Atlanta rebrands as CBS 46

promoguy98

This is what they're using for their social media pages. Hopefully this is what they go to air with...

Agree... looks highly likely considering that their FB cover photo has it built into the "Protecting Your Money" graphic and the style seems consistent with the rest of that graphic and is all flared up.

This is what they're using for their social media pages. Hopefully this is what they go to air with...

1898061_10152261093031252_2145032299_n.jpg

Sort of. Seeing a live stream of their 4 p.m. news, the layout of the logo is used in the new time/temp bug.

There are slight differences between the standard formatting of the CBS O&O graphics and WGCL's version:

* The lower thirds are all upper case, instead of mixed case.

* The opens are truncated, and the logo does not animate over a background of the Atlanta skyline (it does so over part of the eye logo as that used in the transitions to the logo animation on the O&Os).

* The WeatherBug site and temperature map graphics does not use Proxima Nova, the Helvetica Condensed that was in the old graphics stayed on those; if KOCO is any example (it didn't flip from Helvetica Condensed to Effra for most of the weather graphics until about 4-5 months after the current Hearst package rolled out to that station), it might be a while for WGCL's weather graphics to be revised to the appropriate font.

All things considered, even with the differences, it is about as close to how the design looks on the CBS O&Os.

Well, color me impressed. They're using the new Enforcer cuts (at least in parts), the set looks pretty good, and the condensed logo (only used occasionally) is an improvement. They made a few changes in the graphics, mainly with the open and font treatment (L3's are all-caps), but I'd say this will be the best usage of these graphics outside from under the CBS-owned umbrella...they even have the animations looking good.

hfsljhgs_zps77bb83b0.png

deh_zps9e4a18da.png

jdf_zpsda790cf5.png

Well, from a presentation standpoint, logo notwithstanding, WGCL has done an excellent job....and I never thought I'd ever say that about that station in my life. To the average viewer, it's almost as if WGCL is a CBS-owned station (one can dream); that's how well done the package is. Of course, that doesn't mean that WGCL doesn't have other problems. The fact that WGCL is the first non-O&O to use this package also makes this an opportunity to see how well the GFX can be adapted for non-O&O stations.

Of course, it's the little things that matter. Initial thoughts (I may edit this as the night goes on):

• As was mentioned, the open diverges from the O&O formula. First, Bill Ratner has officially replaced Chris Corley as the VO. Second, the closing shot of the open does not use the "logo on skyline" formula, but "logo on 3D eye" formula instead. Very nice.
  • The logo...it's not quite as bad on air. Doesn't mean it's very good, but it's tolerable.
  • The live bug is a bit too large for my tastes. It's correctable, at least.
  • The L3's and graphics are all uppercase. I don't know if I really like that. Also, if you look closely, the main anchor-name L3's are not animated; all other L3's are.
  • If you were watching the report on the Atlanta City Council Utilities Committee's motion with regards to the Falcons' new stadium, you may have noticed that the "New Details" graphic cued a half-second before the L3 animation could finish. Sloppy, but correctable.
  • WGCL has a sports director! Next up: a full-time sports department.
  • The only two changes music-wise: the open (using the latest Enforcer cuts) and the weather intro. All other cuts remain the same.

Now, weirdly enough, some hints of the old 2009 graphics remain: since 4:30, I've noticed that the maps haven't changed graphic packs.

(And no, Harry, I don't think that rotating mic flags would be cool.)

Well, from a presentation standpoint, logo notwithstanding, WGCL has done an excellent job....and I never thought I'd ever say that about that station in my life. To the average viewer, it's almost as if WGCL is a CBS-owned station (one can dream); that's how well done the package is. Of course, that doesn't mean that WGCL doesn't have other problems. The fact that WGCL is the first non-O&O to use this package also makes this an opportunity to see how the GFX can be adapted for non-O&O stations.

Of course, it's the little things that matter. Initial thoughts (I may edit this as the night goes on):

• As was mentioned, the open diverges from the O&O formula. First, Bill Ratner has officially replaced Chris Corley as the VO. Second, the closing shot of the open does not use the "logo on skyline" formula, but "logo on 3D eye" formula instead. Very nice.
  • The logo...it's not quite as bad on air. Doesn't mean it's very good, but it's tolerable.
  • The live bug is a bit too large for my tastes. It's correctable, at least.
  • The L3's and graphics are all uppercase. I don't know if I really like that. Also, if you look closely, the main anchor-name L3's are not animated; all other L3's are.
  • If you were watching the report on the Atlanta City Council Utilities Committee's motion with regards to the Falcons' new stadium, you may have noticed that the "New Details" graphic cued a half-second before the L3 animation could finish. Sloppy, but correctable.
  • WGCL has a sports director! Next up: a full-time sports department.
  • The only two changes music-wise: the open (using the latest Enforcer cuts) and the weather intro. All other cuts remain the same.

A couple of the points were already made above.

It is funny that Chris Corley was replaced by Bill Ratner as WGCL's VO in the news opens, since a few of CBS's O&Os (like KTVT) use Corley.

Also, having looked at WGCL's schedule on Zap2It, the station has a sports program called Sportsline, I assume that's a discussion program. The station's sports director, Larry Smith, also hosts an sports interview program called One on One. Both air on Saturdays after the 6 and 11 p.m. newscasts.

For a non CBS O&O it looks pretty good. All they need now is for CBS to come in and buy them (although highly unlikely).

But I'm assuming ratings wise they are still the bottom of the barrel in the Atlanta market?

Yep. WSB has been the ratings overlord since 1948, with WAGA coming up in second in most timeslots. WXIA has been interesting: sometimes they're in second, sometimes they're in third. WGCL/WGNX has never had much luck.

Not gonna lie so far I'm impressed the presentation it's about as close as you can get to a CBS O&O the set from watching it on TV looks good. They still have a long way to go but this is definitely a start to finally getting out of the ratings basement for once

Nice open for the 5pm and use of the new Enforcer cut, however IMO the vamp music following the open should stay up until the anchors introduce themeselves. That rapid pull down of the music less than 5 seconds into the vamp takes away a sense of urgency and excitement at the top of the show. Just a small nit-picky thing to me.

But that condensed logo is SSOOOOOO much better than the long version! :( Why can't they just use that one? (I also still wanna read it as CBS 46 CBS).

Despite that, this relaunch isn't really that bad. However the on-air bug is too big and those weather graphics are HUGE. It's literally all I want to look at. I don't see how they possibly thought that was a good idea. Plus, she went through that whole entire weathercast only to not show the 7-day forecast and told us to "stay tuned"? Who's dumb bright idea was that? I'll turn to another channel to get my seven day forecast before I sit around and wait another who knows how many minutes to see it from you.

I agree with the rest of you in that this is the best that WGCL has looked in terms of presentation in a real long time. Now my question is will the quality of journalism improve just as much. Journalistically, they were a mess before. So they need to improve the content as much as they have improved the presentation.

I wonder if Meredith is going to use this package on their other CBS affiliates as well?

I agree with the rest of you in that this is the best that WGCL has looked in terms of presentation in a real long time. Now my question is will the quality of journalism improve just as much. Journalistically, they were a mess before. So they need to improve the content as much as they have improved the presentation.

I wonder if Meredith is going to use this package on their other CBS affiliates as well?

They might as well. I mean, if WSMV can get away with using NBC's Look F and WGCL can get away with using the CBS O&O look, then what's stopping them from doing it at their other stations?

Guest NewsHound

Wow. I never thought that I would see the day WGCL was actually looking really good! Let's hope they can make a few content changes, but based on what I've seen tonight they're finally in it to compete... GOOD JOB! It's only taken you 20+ years... But better late than never. :) Welcome CBS 46, again, this time hopefully for good.

WGCL's new look is the way a CBS station, especially in a large market, should be: Attention getting and viewer-friendly without getting intrusive. Maybe that's the norm of the CBS O&Os, though 46 is not one of them.

I hope this will be a start to getting out of dead last in the Atlanta ratings, even if they're with America's #1 Network (it's ABC that's in trouble right now, though WSB doesn't care less).

Meredith seems to treat a lot of its stations like virtual O&O's. The Fox stations seem to have a quasi-O&O appearance, and WSMV has similar graphics as the NBC O&O's as well.

Speaking of which, KVVU is in desperate need of an upgrade. KPTV doesn't really use the O&O graphics but the package they use seems to be half-decent.

I hope KPHO follows suit and starts using these graphics soon.

I wasn't a fan of their new graphics/logo when they came out with them with the switch to HD. I would love to see them get a new logo in addition to the O&O package.

Maybe KMOV can get these too once the deal between them and Sander closes (wishful thinking probably)? I like KCTV's current graphics and music so I don't think they need to switch.

So by watching the evening shows last night, WGCL is using the new theme for the opens, NG1 cue for the bumpers, and as I heard at the end of the 6 & 11pm, there using the classic Series 1 closing cue. At first, I find it unusual that they've haven't went fully to just using the new theme for the bumper/close, as most of the CBS O&Os have. But I'm a bit satisfied that they kept with using the variety, although I did find that same opening cue on all their newscasts, and their evening bumper cue a bit repetitive.

Archived