Number Three or Number Four: BBC to AXE channel

Jafar.jpg

Seems to be an impasse at the BBC.

The corporation has reportedly planned to disband one of its digital channels (either Three or Four) later this year. It's gotten everyone in the UK to debate which channel should go. Members of the British Parliament and fans of highbrow entertainment say Three should go, while teens, young adults and fans of today's entertainment say Four gets the boot.

Here's my original post; I would've used this, but the damn Image box wouldn't make me post.

1661855_10202562925586640_339405047_n.jpg

It's BBC Three.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-26447089

Plans are to make it an online-only channel via their iPlayer. And even though that might make sense for a channel targeted toward a younger demographic, it already has people in the UK up in arms over it.

The thing I don't get about the plan is that they are going to make it online only, they are still going to use that money for programming and it sounded to me like it's going to be a linear channel that streams online (similar to tv everywhere) how is this move going to save them money?

The Beeb operates two multiplexes one carrying their SD channels, the other the HD channels so it's not like they will be saving money by powering down the transmitter they would just have extra bandwidth. BBC Three and BBC Four are both time shared channels broadcasting from about 7PM - 7 AM the other time each channel broadcasts either CBBC (shared with BBC Three) and CBeebies (BBC Four).

Why couldn't they in theory combine BBC Three and Four together and combine CBBC and CBeebies as well? I assume it's because they don't want to merge the high brow programming that BBC Four carries with the younger demographic (a few BBC journalists even suggested merging It with BBC Two because two has a higher budget and is more highbrow than BBC One). But that to me is not a good enough answer - they could easily block schedule it. If I lived in the UK and paid their license fee which is about $220 I'd be pissed off at them removing programming options while not lowering the yearly fee.

Also the fact that it's not shuttering this year but rather August 2015 makes me think that they will order one more series for the current shows and have those shows end when the linear channel ends.

I just read that they then plan to use the extra bandwidth to launch BBC One + 1 which is just like the regular channel but with a one hour delay. Apparently this is quite popular in the UK and ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 each have their own respective +1 channels. I guess the popularity of TiVo and DVRs aren't as prevalent as they are here In the states.

Below is the cost breakdown of all of BBC Domestic networks. BBC World News is ad supported world wide, and get retransmission consent fees from cable companies. The BBC World Service (which includes shortwave, BBC Persian and BBC Arabic channels) is supported by a grant from their foreign office to expand news to developing nations.

BBC TV channel budgets 2013/14

BBC One: £1,051m

BBC Two: £415m

BBC Three: £85m

BBC Four: £49m

CBBC: £79m

CBeebies: £29m

BBC News Channel: £53m

BBC Parliament: £2m

Hypothetical: Do you think I'd we went to NBCUniversal and ask him it do news on a domestic news broadcast at conversion rate of $88.7M and then if we asked the entertainment networks with the rest of the budge they'd wouldn't even consider a budget this small.

I think the much better solution is to merge Two and Four together.

Both air high-brow programs and since Three and Four share time with CBBC and Ceebeebies (respectively), why not put CB and Ceebee together and have them be the new channel for all kid demos? Ceebeebies is the Cartoon Network and CBBC the Adult Swim.

It should make sense...at least to me.

Archived