Dan Lewis is leaving KOMO.

nicksair

Wow. Didn't see that coming from a mile away. I hate to be the one bringing up Sinclair, but the fact he avoids the word "retire", I'm getting a hunch that he wants to look elsewhere and maybe he wasn't liking the new ownership (although the management is virtually the same as before). OR more realistically, he may have been getting a pay cut since Sinclair doesn't like to pay their anchors a lot of money, so he stepped aside.

Either way, I'm sure Sinclair has something to do with it here. That would not usually be the case, but here I think it is.

Anyways, KOMO is about to lose one of the best. Staffers are leaving that place left and right...

Nor do I believe it was "his decision".

It might be. They may have offered him a significant pay cut and he said no. At least they are letting him say good bye. Probably being handed down from corporate rather than locally (since the GM and ND are holdovers from Fisher).

Read his facebook page, said he's been pondering this decision for the last couple of years so it wasn't like a spur of the moment thing. I also expect Eric Johnson to be named co-anchor on the 6 & 11pm shows, in addition to the 5pm show he already co-anchors. Dan is one of the best and he will be missed on the anchor desk.

I always felt once Sinclair got their clutches on the former Fisher Stations they were going to gut many long term anchors. He may have been pondering, but I'm sure the Smith Brothers wanted to cut his pay. They never believe in the icons. Wish him the best and wish the KOMO staff the best too.

Just thinking about this news from today as well, it makes me wonder whats gonna happen with KATU just down the road in Portland. Steve Dunn has been around for close to 20 years now. Along with other staff being there or in the market for a great deal of time as well. Wonder whatll happen next...

On his Facebook page, Lewis announced that his last newscast would be on May 21st at 11

Wow when he made the announcement, he announced May 28th would be his last day guess he's leaving a week earlier then originally planned.

Archived