WCPO Debuts New Set

TennTV1983

A few days after WXIX debuted their new set, WCPO, the Scripps-owned ABC affiliate in Cincinnati, did the same as of noon today, courtesy of Park Place Design (the same company that designed KGTV's new set). NewscastStudio already has a story up on the new digs as well as pictures:

http://www.newscaststudio.com/2014/04/21/cincinnati-abc-affiliate-debuts-new-set/

IMHO, this actually looks better than what KGTV got. Now if only WMAR could receive the same treatment.

What's very interesting to me is how the anchor desk has the Scripps logo plastered on the side. Scripps seems to be wanting to brand their stations with their owner on-air, all the time via the set, much like WPTV and WEWS do.

OH GOD PLEASE KSHB!!!

I wouldn't be surprised if KSHB is next in line. May sweeps start soon, so obviously not now, but them having a timetable for a new set launch that coincides with the July sweeps wouldn't be out of the question. If not July, then November. KSHB likes to debut things on big dates (their current set debuted after the opening night of the Beijing Olympics).

KSHB's set has aged really well and still looks very nice on air. My concern is that a new set will end up looking like a "downgrade" from what they had before. But seeing has Brian Bracco is at the helm, I wouldn't be surprised if he's made it very clear that he doesn't want some cheap looking set. They're better now than they ever have been, he'll want something to accentuate that.

OH GOD PLEASE KMGH!!!

Agreed...

This looks too bright and anyone standing at a desk makes me twitch. I'm glad wxyz redid their 2003 set in 2011 so it kept it's major elements although they stand too. It hopefully prevents this kind of garishly white and empty set from appearing. My favorite current Scripps set is WEWS's. I don't think WXYZ will ever have a huge Scripps logo on it's set. They are still trying to act like they are owned by abc so everything is covered in circle 7's and wxyz lettering. Other than the end slate on maybe three shows a day it's hard to tell it's owned by Scripps at all to the average viewer.

Is CPO the flagship Scripps station?

This looks too bright and anyone standing at a desk makes me twitch. I'm glad wxyz redid their 2003 set in 2011 so it kept it's major elements although they stand too. It hopefully prevents this kind of garishly white and empty set from appearing. My favorite current Scripps set is WEWS's. I don't think WXYZ will ever have a huge Scripps logo on it's set. They are still trying to act like they are owned by abc so everything is covered in circle 7's and wxyz lettering. Other than the end slate on maybe three shows a day it's hard to tell it's owned by Scripps at all to the average viewer.

Is CPO the flagship Scripps station?

It is since Scripps is headquartered in Cincinnati (not sure if KGTV is considered a flagship as well even though Scripps had promoted the heck out of the station after acquiring it from McGraw-Hill).

It is since Scripps is headquartered in Cincinnati (not sure if KGTV is considered a flagship as well even though Scripps had promoted the heck out of the station after acquiring it from McGraw-Hill).

I agree, Scripps has infused KGTV with a lot of resources making you believe they were the flagship, something they haven't done as much with the other former MGH stations. Then again, the Scripps name has a lot of history here in San Diego... I like WCPO's set, the thing I noticed is that CPO does not have a monitor on the front of the desk like KGTV. Give them some time to work out the quirks, and you will see that they start playing around with the color combinations.

I agree, Scripps has infused KGTV with a lot of resources making you believe they were the flagship, something they haven't done as much with the other former MGH stations. Then again, the Scripps name has a lot of history here in San Diego... I like WCPO's set, the thing I noticed is that CPO does not have a monitor on the front of the desk like KGTV. Give them some time to work out the quirks, and you will see that they start playing around with the color combinations.

WXYZ could be a sort of a flagship too, it is their largest market and seems to have the best production and talent of the group historically possibly just by having so many small stations plus the legacy talent, I don't know how true that is now, a few years ago it ran like a top 5 station. It does seem that whenever I watch the others I end up cringing by the end at the production, do any of the other stations have a live stream of their newscasts? I keep trying to find a way to watch some of the other stations in the group and come up empty. I would think WEWS would at least. Scripps seems to have invested heavily in several of its stations making it hard to decide which is most important. Maybe KGTV is the most important of the former MGH stations? Or maybe the MGH stations needed lots of work. No way KGTV is the flagship for the whole group, I agree it's probably WCPO just because the headquarters is in Cincy.

I was really hoping all that white could change colors, I was trying to figure that part out when it described colors as customizable.

Isn't WCPO one of Scripps' worst performing stations? I always found it ironic how a company could let their flagship perform so poorly.

Scripps isn't exactly well run operationally, despite the low debt their TV division has been able to lost $10 million or so in recent quarters. They blamed it on lack of political ads. I would blame it on lack of quality syndication and lackluster news operations. But thats just me. I realize there are exceptions to that like WXYZ. As far as I know KNXV is the worst, WCPO I don't know well enough, WEWS and WMAR aren't really doing too hot either. WXYZ is a solid second in Detroit after being first off and on since the Bill Bonds days and they have been improving over the last year. In the late 2000's they were getting up near 11.0 at times. They might be the highest rated station that Scripps owns, averaging low 7's in the evenings peaking at 7.9 at 11pm. I don't know if any other Scripps stations do that well or not. I have to believe at least a few of the 18 others do that well.

Isn't WCPO one of Scripps' worst performing stations? I always found it ironic how a company could let their flagship perform so poorly.

Actually, its a number two in the Cincinnati DMA and has been since the early 2000s. WCPO actually used to be market leader until WKRC overtook them. However, its ratings downfall is nowhere near WMAR's or even WEWS'.

In that video at the top of the page, what do you see on the back screen? Oh yes. The old ABC logo. :p

I actually noticed that. Are there any other big-market ABC affiliates that still use the old '62-'07 logo at all?

That video makes the set seem sooooo monotonous and claustrophobic

Not sure if I see claustrophobic... but monotonous, I definitely get. Every backdrop wall is exactly the same as the others. Light panel at top, light panel at bottom, darker center panel. Long runs of the same pattern over and over. Zero imagination went into designing that set.

Not sure if I see claustrophobic... but monotonous, I definitely get. Every backdrop wall is exactly the same as the others. Light panel at top, light panel at bottom, darker center panel. Long runs of the same pattern over and over. Zero imagination went into designing that set.

Hate to say this, but the set is not colorful or not even an different panel.

Hate to say this, but the set is not colorful or not even an different panel.

My biggest thing is how dull and boring it looks, it may upgrade several aging and lousy sets but it's pretty bad looking for aesthetics and spacing, it looks tiny.

Archived