Lara Logan and Toxic Talent

Jess

She'll be on Fox News soon...no way she's back on CBS

That's an unfair assumption, seeing as how FOX did not grab up any right-leaning reporters from any other nets (Ex: Sharyl Attkisson)

Otherwise, I think one bad report does not need to define someone's career. CBS' usually-left leaning stance may fuel the "Fire-Logan" move, but she does not deserve to be fired.

That's an unfair assumption' date=' seeing as how FOX did not grab up any right-leaning reporters from any other nets (Ex: Sharyl Attkisson)

Otherwise, I think one bad report does not need to define someone's career. CBS' usually-left leaning stance may fuel the "Fire-Logan" move, but she does not deserve to be fired.

That "one bad report" did tremendous damage to the journalistic reputation of 60 Minutes. Also, Logan's cozy relationship with certain members of the military -- as per the New Yorker article above -- is troubling. (What happened to journalists serving as the watchdogs of the military and the government?) Logan may not end up being fired, but better journalists have been fired for lesser offences.

Regardless, I would argue that this has nothing to do with your perception of CBS News as a left-leaning organization. The entire report was based on a fabrication.

Pretty sure 60 Minutes is still viewed as one of the most reputable outlets for outstanding journalism. Lara Logan severely damaged that reputation and may be shown the door for it, rightfully so.

• 2 weeks later...

60 Minutes turned into product showcase years ago. They lost journalistic reputation long before an ill-fated report.

No they didn't. I've not seen them spinning spits while advertising the latest greatest rotisserie! 60-minutes is not a Ron Poeil hour.

Pretty sure 60 Minutes is still viewed as one of the most reputable outlets for outstanding journalism. Lara Logan severely damaged that reputation and may be shown the door for it, rightfully so.

I found it surprising that 60 Minutes basically operates autonomously from CBS News (I knew it was across the street from the main HQ but assumed that there was cooperation between the two) and the fact that the New Yorker article inferred that there is a sort of rivalry between them. Meanwhile 60 Minutes knew about the book being published for months but decided to rush / fast track the report without doing their own fact checking and made the critical mistake of assuming that their sister company did their own due diligence that matches CBS / 60 Minutes standards. Personally I would scrutinize the book and sources even more than usual because the book was published by a conservative imprint of Simon & Shuster. I would also do the same if it was published by a liberal imprint to make sure that the story was not manipulated to fit the party viewpoint.

I believe it did do significant damage to 60 Minutes and CBS News' reputation/credibility then to make matters worst subsequent broadcasts included questionable segments such as John Millers kid glove interview with the NSA and Charlie Rose's segment on Amazon which aired right before cyber Monday which functioned as a free advertisement continued to chip away their reputation. If all of these pieces did not air in such proximity to the original Lara Logan report I would think that it was poor judgement but because they aired so close it showed a pattern of error making me think there is poor leadership.

I personally think that Lara Logan was looking out for herself where she put her and the crew in danger based on multiple occasions.

Archived