WIAT Gets New Set & Graphics & Name.

Working4You

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So tired of the "Coverage You Can Count On" moniker. It's just so...cliche and generic.

And again about the logo. If it's WIAT 42 News, then the 42 and News need to be reversed in the logo. But personally I think that "WIAT News 42" sounds better and is easier to say than "WIAT 42 News."

Their call letters are also awkward. Every time I see them I wanna say WAIT.

Their call letters are also awkward. Every time I see them I wanna say WAIT.

Ironically, their calls stand for "It's About Time," the slogan and positioning they used back in the late 90's when they tried to establish themselves in the market as a faster-paced newscast in which people didn't have to wait for the stories they wanted to see.

The more I look into this.....the more I'm scratching my head. And LIN should be getting the blame.

They "failed to renew the contract" former GM Bill Ballard, who Media General hired in 2003 and was largely responsible for bringing WIAT out of the basement by obtaining shows like Dr. Phil and Jeopardy! while transitioning the news department from their "It's about Time" roots to that of a more traditional newscast. The presentation took another step forward when Media General traded up to WVTM and sold WIAT to New Vision. And in a parallel universe, the Alabama SEC football teams (Alabama and Auburn) began a period of traded dominance (WIAT is the home CBS affiliate for U of A in Tuscaloosa) from 2009 to today. CBS dominated the ratings while NBC faltered and WVTM's fortunes withered away largely because of this.

LIN merges with New Vision in 2012.....and after all of this success, which is probably the greatest time in this troubled station's history....they dump the GM at the helm.

Who do they replace him with? An out-of-town executive from the Weather Channel who blows into town and fixes a product that doesn't need to be fixed. Even a gifted marketing director hired during Ballard's helm "left" shortly after Swenson took over the GM post. I have a feeling that the station is under her "vision", and will do ANYTHING to execute it, at any cost, even if it means blowing things up based on her opinion.

End rant.

According to the NewscastStudio.com site, the KOIN package was produced by the "LIN Media Design Team"... perhaps the people involved were a part of the Giant Octopus (later FX Group) team and they report directly to Kathy Mosher-Boule. < This is totally speculation on my part as I haven't been able to find any supporting evidence.

http://www.newscaststudio.com/graphics/koin2/

As for the changes, sure they needed a set and to update their look. But as Tyrannical B. just mentioned - - I'm not so sure about some of the changes the GM is making. The set, music and look? sure - it was needed, but "CBS 42" as a brand wasn't broken. It was an identity that "FINALLY" worked for the station. If this GM were such a branding hotshot from the Weather Channel, surely she understands that your logo should reflect how you "say" the name of your brand on air. It's backazzwards and does not make a bit of sense. And why such a sudden focus on those honking huge call letters in the logo?

Gary Wolverton, was one of the best and most experienced Marketing Directors they could have brought in, but lasted less than a year. Apparently she didn't want "researched" consultant-driven promotions - that was what I took away from some job ads that were written up as they blew up the entire promotions team. I'm not sure if he left on his own or saw the writing on the wall, but to me, the way they positioned these changes in the set launch video scream "researched BS" terminology to me. Helen Swenson is speaking tired and trite consultant babble in the video. Perhaps the woman should have left Wolverton in the position. The guy knows branding!

I give these changes less than two years, then they will get back to the simple "CBS 42" branding that has worked or something very close to it. Speaking of changes, the GM had better hope MG/LIN keeps this station, otherwise she's not going to last very long herself.

Edit: Adding on a last thought..... Coverage YOU can count on!? Really? OK Ms. GM Swenson, if you don't want consultant-driven cookie-cutter, you could have paid your consultant to come up with a fresher, snazzier positioning line. Seriously? You could have put suggestions in a spinning drum, gave it a whirl and came up with something more original and that fits the market.

I feel like this is typical LIN style. Not one of LIN's non Fox Affiliates go by their affiliation then channel number, that I can think of. KRQE, KXAN, WISH, WOOD, KOIN, WJCL, KSN, etc. they all go by their call signs / channel #. SO lets not blame this change on the new GM. This change was bound to happen with or without the new GM...... period. Honestly, I think this change was for the good, people are smart in the state of Alabama they know 42 = CBS, so I don't think the branding change will really hurt them. This refresh for them IMO will only help them. 33/40 only does well due to Spann, if/when he darts and they are bought by Sinclair they will be a non factor. Fox 6 is hard to catch up with, my mom grew up in B'Ham and the reason why they watched them was because that was the only signal they could pick up, plus the well know talent and old watching habits it may be hard to catch them but it could be done.The real question is who is sold 42/13 and who buys who. I could see Meridith buying 42 if they are the one sold, great for them being close to 46 in ATL. Just a speculation on my part. 13 could only be helped by being bought by a good company like Gannett or Gray etc. But time will tell, we will just have to wait and see.

I feel like this is typical LIN style. Not one of LIN's non Fox Affiliates go by their affiliation then channel number, that I can think of. KRQE, KXAN, WISH, WOOD, KOIN, WJCL, KSN, etc. they all go by their call signs / channel #. SO lets not blame this change on the new GM. This change was bound to happen with or without the new GM...... period. Honestly, I think this change was for the good, people are smart in the state of Alabama they know 42 = CBS, so I don't think the branding change will really hurt them. This refresh for them IMO will only help them. 33/40 only does well due to Spann, if/when he darts and they are bought by Sinclair they will be a non factor. Fox 6 is hard to catch up with, my mom grew up in B'Ham and the reason why they watched them was because that was the only signal they could pick up, plus the well know talent and old watching habits it may be hard to catch them but it could be done.The real question is who is sold 42/13 and who buys who. I could see Meridith buying 42 if they are the one sold, great for them being close to 46 in ATL. Just a speculation on my part. 13 could only be helped by being bought by a good company like Gannett or Gray etc. But time will tell, we will just have to wait and see.

Agree with much of this. You are right. Times will get interesting at the time when 33/40 gets snatched up by Sinclair. Spann IS the biggest part of their success. My only immediate concern is this: Why make a radical change when you have something that is working for your station? Poor 42 tried so many titles and slogans over the years, even emphasizing these current call letters.. If they were going to emphasize slightly faster-paced newscasts then I could see where the call letters paired with W "It's About Time" would benefit them. Outside of 15 years ago - - these call letters have never been emphasized and viewers change. The market doesn't really know the calls. Bham seems to be a market where affiliate and channel # are most effective with viewers. Maybe all of the 1990's affiliation changes are the reason why.

You are right, most of the other LIN stations have calls in the name. For most of them the CALLS have always played a large to massive role over the years. In CBS 42's case, they've tried that and so many other variations. I just know, if I were the GM, I would build on what has FINALLY worked for the station, and not care how the other LIN stations have done it. Certainly the only time to make drastic changes is when the station is in the cellar... ie, WIAT, especially in the late 90's. Once the former GM created more traditional newscasts and emphasized CBS 42 over all of the other gimmicky things they've tried - due to market timing, strength of CBS, sports and other factors (probably even luck) since the mid 2000's, it has worked!

I hope for 42's sake that Swenson and company (LIN) extensively researched this (in the market with a large sample of viewers) before making such a drastic move. With other ownership changes to come in the market - the one thing that may have benefitted CBS 42 the most was simply remaining CBS 42. If it was made with careful analysis, then great! If it was made simply because of some type of standardization or LIN way of doing things, bad move. We shall see. Exciting times to come for the Birmingham market!!

It's already a jarring, radical change to update the look, set and music! Most of us would probably agree that it was well needed. A perplexing part of this new update is rolling out a logo that is referred to differently on-air. If you want to call it WIAT 42 News, awesome. At least make the logo reflect that - WIAT top liine, 42 NEWS bottom line. imo it's already jarring enough making all the changes, why confuse the brand even more with a new logo and verbal mentions of your title that are totally opposite of what's on the screen? That is something that should have been addressed and decided upon well before the look/set/music relaunch.

It is taking on a vein of what LIN has re-branded several of their stations.....especially with KIMT, KOIN and WJCL/WTGS. I'm hoping that WKBN/WYTV isn't next. They have a very well-executed brand that takes advantage of their strengths, even going as far as integrating the vintage "WKBN" typeface into their logo itself.

The problem is the stuff that is replacing the old graphics doesn't have the depth of the stuff it replaced. Maybe i'm partial to the John Christopher Burns looks that were replaced. Why? They took great care in branding the stations as firmly rooted in their communities. WJCL/WTGS was "The Coastal Source"....KIMT was "Iowa and Minnesota Together" KOIN was a well-crafted package similar in vein to WKBN's that made use of colors you don't normally see on broadcast television news.

The new stuff looks like it could come from anywhere in the country. Why would WIAT would choose to align themselves with call letters that only allude to a failed re-launch of the station and have little connection to the community they serve, and completely ignore the fact that they are affiliated with CBS, the whole reason they've EVER succeeded! If it wasn't for the utter failure of WBMG and the stigma of those call letters, I would prefer some kind of Birmingham-centric or CBS-centric branding. A massive improvement and easy fix would be just to add the CBS eye to WIAT!

Having the fact that both the music and slogan have made appearances in the market in the past makes me question if this was well thought out.....or perhaps it was done on purpose? It doesn't fit and seems like a template fix.

This sort of mirrors the re-launching of WGNX into WGCL....an overthought and poorly executed concept. What exactly was Clear News? No one knew and it lasted long enough for CBS Atlanta, then CBS 46, then CBS Atlanta....and so on every two to three years. At least Meredith got the hint to align themselves with CBS this go-around.

It will be fun to see who takes over who in Birmingham. Now you have two stations that are recently relaunched within the past year being a candidate for sale.

It is taking on a vein of what LIN has re-branded several of their stations.....especially with KIMT, KOIN and WJCL/WTGS. I'm hoping that WKBN/WYTV isn't next. They have a very well-executed brand that takes advantage of their strengths, even going as far as integrating the vintage "WKBN" typeface into their logo itself.

The problem is the stuff that is replacing the old graphics doesn't have the depth of the stuff it replaced. Maybe i'm partial to the John Christopher Burns looks that were replaced. Why? They took great care in branding the stations as firmly rooted in their communities. WJCL/WTGS was "The Coastal Source"....KIMT was "Iowa and Minnesota Together" KOIN was a well-crafted package similar in vein to WKBN's that made use of colors you don't normally see on broadcast television news.

The new stuff looks like it could come from anywhere in the country. Why would WIAT would choose to align themselves with call letters that only allude to a failed re-launch of the station and have little connection to the community they serve, and completely ignore the fact that they are affiliated with CBS, the whole reason they've EVER succeeded! If it wasn't for the utter failure of WBMG and the stigma of those call letters, I would prefer some kind of Birmingham-centric or CBS-centric branding. A massive improvement and easy fix would be just to add the CBS eye to WIAT!

Having the fact that both the music and slogan have made appearances in the market in the past makes me question if this was well thought out.....or perhaps it was done on purpose? It doesn't fit and seems like a template fix.

This sort of mirrors the re-launching of WGNX into WGCL....an overthought and poorly executed concept. What exactly was Clear News? No one knew and it lasted long enough for CBS Atlanta, then CBS 46, then CBS Atlanta....and so on every two to three years. At least Meredith got the hint to align themselves with CBS this go-around.

It will be fun to see who takes over who in Birmingham. Now you have two stations that are recently relaunched within the past year being a candidate for sale.

A template fix from a General Manager hot-shot who didn't want template ideas. I mean, seriously, they can't even figure out how to 'verbalize' or visually present their new logo on the air. Gee, wonder how much effort it would have taken to decide something that critical before the launch? If that's an indication of things to come, it'll soon be time to grab some popcorn and see what all unfolds in the market.

I bet if anything, WKBN/WYTV will rebrand its self with the call letters only and probably stop having two seperate newscasts. It will probably be called "First News" and then they will kill whatever little identity WYTV has left before finally selling it to the spectrum vultures. Hopefully, I am wrong but that's the path that LIN is leading it down towards. My question is this: Besides WJCL, are any other LIN stations branding by its call letters only?

Why would WIAT would choose to align themselves with call letters that only allude to a failed re-launch of the station and have little connection to the community they serve, and completely ignore the fact that they are affiliated with CBS, the whole reason they've EVER succeeded! If it wasn't for the utter failure of WBMG and the stigma of those call letters, I would prefer some kind of Birmingham-centric or CBS-centric branding. A massive improvement and easy fix would be just to add the CBS eye to WIAT!

I have a major issue with calling 42 Daily News "failed". It wasn't a blockbuster out of the gate, but it was still the best news product that had come out of 42 at the time. Without 42 Daily News I don't know if we'd be talking about the later moves to market contention. Even if WIAT's revenues are still 4th among B'ham stations.

I have a major issue with calling 42 Daily News "failed". It wasn't a blockbuster out of the gate, but it was still the best news product that had come out of 42 at the time. Without 42 Daily News I don't know if we'd be talking about the later moves to market contention. Even if WIAT's revenues are still 4th among B'ham stations.

I think the failure is the fact that the call letters don't mean what they were changed for anymore....and they don't have the allure of a well-established and branded set of call letters like WKBN, WSAZ or WRAL, or something catchy like KAKE or KOLR, geographically chosen like WLOX, WCHS or WJTV, or other brandable call letters using acronyms (WTOV, KIMT, WEWS, WKRG) or roman numerals with their channel (WXIA, WPXI, WXIX). And when the call letters are obsolete and non-representative, it's a weak point to base one's brand off of.

The only thing that I see that could connecting with viewers is the use of red....or Crimson to be exact. Is it enough to woo the Crimson Tide fan base? Doubtful.

Another "who's got your back?" station? I would much rather have the boring "Coverage You Can Count On" than that crap.

I used to live in Connecticut and I loved watching WTNH when it was called NewsChannel 8 (it was either that or WVIT for me). WTNH has been crap since they changed to News 8. They need to go back to NewsChannel 8, or, even better, Action News.

I used to live in Connecticut and I loved watching WTNH when it was called NewsChannel 8 (it was either that or WVIT for me). WTNH has been crap since they changed to News 8. They need to go back to NewsChannel 8, or, even better, Action News.

Thanks Mark Higgins for causing NewsMaster to not watch WTNH. Oh and for also not renewing Geoff Fox's contract...

From and grew up in Bham, parents still live there.

42 needed a refresh for sure. It will definitely shake up the market. It's a bit flashy, reminds me of KPIX/related CBS sets but not as blue/icy.

Agree, the branding and logo need to match up. And also agree, the type is skinny. I like the font but not for TV.

33/40 has an okay shot when Spann leaves if they keep Brenda, Dave and Pam. I have a feeling Sinclair will want to sweep them out. Better for FOX6 to have anyway, especially with Richards retiring. Word is Jonathan Hardison is getting Richards spot, but I'm sure they'd love to have Baird, although he's probably getting ready to retire himself.

They went cheap on the open, it's just a static shot of the city. Thankfully, they at least have an open now. Wish would could have gotten Ratner for VO.

As far as the CBS42 branding goes, it should have been kept. The fact of the matter is most station calls don't matter anymore. People side more with a number and affiliation, not calls, unless theres some phenotic-ness that goes with it... WINK, WISH, etc. I think the station was doing well with the CBS 42 branding. CBS=College Football to most people in our state. Football is big big big business in Alabama. I hope 42 has this in mind with all their flashiness. Not sure if they still have a dedicated area for sports... I assume that interview area moves so one can stand in front of the bigmon.

When you look at WALA... that station was bought back in 2005, and it kept its FOXten monkier, and still has it today. Granted that station is number one.

I believe it's up in the air whether the GM or Lin initiated the change. Could have been either one.

I've been noticing, the set would look much better if they had put the cameras on some robotic pedestials. I know that's expensive but the shots of the weather kiosk, opening shots of the set etc.would look nicer if they moved a bit more, especially with this kind of set.

Overall I'm glad they updated the set. I think it looks great and it was really needed. Their old set was built by a cabinet company for goodness sake.

Not so sure the branding works though.

Here's a gallery of pictures, not sure if anybody posted these yet:

http://interactives.cbs42.com/photomojo/gallery/12303/231110/the-new-wiat-42-news-set/wiat-42-news-reveals-brand-new-set/

• 1 year later...

Sorry to dig this thread up from the grave, but more changes at WIAT CBS 42 Birmingham.

Media General names GM for the station, replacing Helen Swenson - story from Friday's TVSpy.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/media-general-names-gm-for-birmingham-station/160594

Not sure if it was me, Tyrannical Bastard or whichever member who had a running bet on how long she would last as the General Manager. It will be interesting to see what changes happen next. Hopefully they will at least fix their branding to reflect consistency between the logo and how they verbally reference it on-air.

Hearst has been tightening up their leaking ship at WVTM. Word is the news ratings at WVTM are on the move up, so the market is looking more competitive. Speaking of things moving up.... apparently Swenson has been promoted and accepted a corporate job at Media General. http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/90909/erik-schrader-named-presidentgm-of-wiat

Yikes! Hope it's not a replacement for Kathy Mosher-Boule who was the Manager of On-Air Image and Design lol. Hopefully the new GM will fix some of the mistakes she implemented at WIAT.

• 1 month later...

12540940_1010019092370498_3460119478339738234_n.png?oh=28d0c339f91ad33ddca46bab36ace49e&oe=57288AC2

Sorry to bump a really old thread but it looks like WIAT 42 may be going back to CBS 42 for its branding. They recently let go their Wake Up Alabama anchors of Steven Hauck and Gina Redmond and hired Art Franklin who is returning to Birmingham after a stint in Atlanta. Also with it the new morning show branding. Gone WIAT 42 Wake Up Alabama in CBS 42 Morning News with Art Franklin. Lets see if this tv legend can increase the lackluster ratings that 42 has had in the AM spot for as long as I can remember... He is very well liked in the community so time will tell.

I am so confused and I feel sorry for the viewers. Are they WIAT? WIAT 42 or CBS 42? Hmmmm

You or anyone else couldn't have said it better! Up until approximately a year ago, they had serious momentum and were clearly branded as CBS 42. A "hot shot" Weather Channel executive, Helen Swenson, was brought in as GM and all of the branding confusion started. When they launched the new set and graphics, the station was verbally referenced as WIAT 42 News while the logo said WIAT News 42. Then, the voiceover intro was changed to WIAT CBS 42 News. What a damn mess. Perhaps they are going to morph back to CBS 42 when all is said and done, since Swenson is no longer the general manager. Thanks to the confusion, which I'm sure played a part, WVTM 13 News has made inroads in the ratings and CBS 42 has lost it's momentum. I hope they can get good things going again in their favor.

WJTV, their sister station, is the exact same thing. During newscasts, they are called "WJTV NewsChannel 12." However, go to Facebook and its "WJTV News 12" or on Twitter and its "WJTV 12 News" and they tell me the newscasts are branded as "WJTV 12 at xx:xx" except the morning with "WJTV 12 This Morning."

And I'm just sitting here like... WTF? What is it? I'm just very confused.

WJTV, their sister station, is the exact same thing. During newscasts, they are called "WJTV NewsChannel 12." However, go to Facebook and its "WJTV News 12" or on Twitter and its "WJTV 12 News" and they tell me the newscasts are branded as "WJTV 12 at xx:xx" except the morning with "WJTV 12 This Morning."

And I'm just sitting here like... WTF? What is it? I'm just very confused.

Yeah WSVNFan, I totally get the confusion. I left the day to day business and at one time had worked with WJTV years ago. I can tell you what I know about the situation. WJTV's current marketing guy, Bret Kenyon, is top notch. Even more so was their prior marketing guy, Gary Wolverton. He worked there from the mid 90's-mid 2000's and just happened to be WIAT's Marketing Director before the "hot shot" GM came trotting in and blew up the consistency of what was working. His scripts, design cues and demands on "staying on-brand" from every department of the station never strayed. He was the same way in Jackson and was there when Media General first transitioned to the Newschannel 12 branding.

Back to WJTV... About a year ago, their marketing guy told me that they were transitioning towards using the calls. He said due to some changes with audience measurement, if someone wrote down that they watch Melanie Christopher and Byron Brown on WAPT Newschannel 12 or just WAPT, then WAPT16 News gets the credit. I'm ASSUMING they kept "Newschannel" in the VO just to blur lines more where it wasn't a jarring change for the viewers AND to possibly keep a competitor from using that branding. As to why the social media handles don't align up? Not sure, but hopefully that's something they will address. Once electronic measuring is the norm in that market, I'm guessing they will market themselves with no audio references to Newschannel. By then if a competitor picked up that branding, so be it.

It's simple...if WIAT wanted to add calls in because of that same (audience measurement) reasoning, the VO may go something like: "From W I A T Birmingham, THIS is CBS 42 News at _____" ... for promos, it's a mouthful, but "Tonight on WIAT CBS 42 News at 10, blah blah blah" is far better than the screwy mess they have now.

Archived