Post Newsweek New Graphics

ns8401

KSAT picked up the graphics today at noon. They're not that great. They have this cartoonish feeling to them and it's kinda hard to take them seriously. Also, they managed to incorporate their terrible slogan "Expect More." into the graphics. Argh...

And yep, still using the same cuts of One and Only that have been in place since October 2003....

Also, they are also using some in-house elements from the last package or two that don't match this look at all, such as the "Your Weather Authority" bump.

On top of that, they seem to have ONE template they can use for franchise opens/stingers. Not much variety in the package.

Florida's NewsCenter has an article about the new graphics, and also points out that WJXT's longtime multi-colored and boxed "4" logo has been "rhomboid-ized" (my term, not theirs).

http://flnewscenter.com/?p=8327

The style is like that of WDIV. Yet I'm happy they didn't change it to that "4" logo.

WJXT_Logo_2014.png

Nevertheless, I didn't see anything wrong with their last logo. If it ain't broke.....

The style is like that of WDIV. Yet I'm happy they didn't change it to that "4" logo.

WJXT_Logo_2014.png

Nevertheless, I didn't see anything wrong with their last logo. If it ain't broke.....

To me, that's the best revision of a long-time logo (used since about '77, along with the other PostNewsweek stations in the late '70s that had changed their logos, including their cross-state sister, WPLG; which had their logo changed--TWICE WITHIN 3 YEARS; '76 AND '79!-- The colors added to the "4" in '90.) and a good fit for the newscasts-- in the words of Thom Allen--"The One Most People Watch".

WJXT_Logo_2014.png

I liked the old logo too, it was one of my favorites in fact. This one isn't bad, though; it's keeps most of the the strong points of the old logo.

They also changed the name of their newscasts. It's not Channel 4 News, but News 4 JAX (yes, all caps). Wrong, WJXT management, wrong. Try again.

Here's the link to that:

Brian William's voice just isn't strong enough, much less deep.

Brian also voiced the intro to WGRZ's 6pm newscasts a few years ago. (Rampage Music is enough of an aural train wreck, so I don't know how his work could have been THAT bad...)

[yt]fQhoQOic9YU[/yt]

Tim Russert - for obvious reasons - was to have done the VO work before his passing, and Brian wound up doing it as a tribute.

I don't know why but the Gannett graphics from 2007-2013 were on a whole new level of bad. Granted, the opening was pretty decent and I think I'm the only one that likes Rampage (especially the morning cuts of it). However, those L3s just look so cheap with ugly fonts, especially in bigger markets like Atlanta, DC, and Cleveland. The new graphics are actually an improvement to me but I hate This Is Home because most cuts sound too female-skewing to me.

I don't know why but the Gannett graphics from 2007-2013 were on a whole new level of bad. Granted, the opening was pretty decent and I think I'm the only one that likes Rampage (especially the morning cuts of it). However, those L3s just look so cheap with ugly fonts, especially in bigger markets like Atlanta, DC, and Cleveland. The new graphics are actually an improvement to me but I hate This Is Home because most cuts sound too female-skewing to me.

Memo. Wrong thread.

• 2 weeks later...

WJXT version 1

WJXT Version 2

KSAT

KPRC (with Beau Weaver back)

Those graphics actually look good and at least they're not using any of that "Live from the home of ClickOn(Insert City).com" crap anymore.

Those graphics actually look good and at least they're not using any of that "Live from the home of ClickOn(Insert City).com" crap anymore.

Just plain LIVE which is still idiotic. It's obviously live, why would you give me pre-recorded news, especially if news breaks?

Just plain LIVE which is still idiotic. It's obviously live, why would you give me pre-recorded news, especially if news breaks?

You've gotta see KSAT's rejoins then. It's basically the last three seconds of the open, complete with the "NOW" transition. Works for the open, stupid for a rejoin.

Also, I will post KSAT's montage in two weeks in high quality (not recorded off of a livestream). Hoping to get a tuner soon so I can tape KENS 5 new graphics whenever they get them.

You've gotta see KSAT's rejoins then. It's basically the last three seconds of the open, complete with the "NOW" transition. Works for the open, stupid for a rejoin.

Also, I will post KSAT's montage in two weeks in high quality (not recorded off of a livestream). Hoping to get a tuner soon so I can tape KENS 5 new graphics whenever they get them.

That's even worse, we are already watching so we know it's now, if it wasn't we could come back in a few hours...

I swear P-N overthinks these things some times. Thank god none of the Detroit stations use rejoins, surprising as that is for the P-N flagship.

Archived