Post Newsweek New Graphics

ns8401

Looks like those Post Newsweek graphics seen at WPLG are going to the other stations. WDIV Detroit has the new graphics and a new open. It's a refresh more than being new, same live and station bugs with the same animations.

I still hate the font treatment on the L3's, but I think this look will age much better than the outgoing model.

When I saw US as Us all I could do was shake my head. All caps is much better for L3's. The coming up bumpers are not attractive and the open and weather open were a little jerky, otherwise not bad.

I wish Post-NewsWeek would change the opening credits on their stations. TheClickOn[whatever city.com] is just over the top in my book. I know Detroit, Orlando, Houston, not sure if the other markets have the web channel listed on the opening credits.

Also with the sale of WPLG to BH Media; according to WPLG Wikipedia page it said "On March 12, 2014, Graham Holdings announced that it would sell WPLG to the BH Media subsidiary of Berkshire Hathawayin a cash and stock deal. Berkshire Hathaway and its chairman, Warren Buffett, had been longtime stockholders in Graham Holdings; the Graham family will re-acquire a large majority of its shares from Berkshire Hathaway in exchange for selling WPLG. As part of the deal, Post-Newsweek Stations will continue to provide services to the station for up to two years after the sale's consummation through a transitional services agreement.

So PLG will still be under Post/Graham portfolio for 2 yrs after the sale? Any thoughts?

I wish Post-NewsWeek would change the opening credits on their stations. TheClickOn[whatever city.com] is just over the top in my book. I know Detroit, Orlando, Houston, not sure if the other markets have the web channel listed on the opening credits.

Also with the sale of WPLG to BH Media; according to WPLG Wikipedia page it said "On March 12, 2014, Graham Holdings announced that it would sell WPLG to the BH Media subsidiary of Berkshire Hathawayin a cash and stock deal. Berkshire Hathaway and its chairman, Warren Buffett, had been longtime stockholders in Graham Holdings; the Graham family will re-acquire a large majority of its shares from Berkshire Hathaway in exchange for selling WPLG. As part of the deal, Post-Newsweek Stations will continue to provide services to the station for up to two years after the sale's consummation through a transitional services agreement.

So PLG will still be under Post/Graham portfolio for 2 yrs after the sale? Any thoughts?

I wonder if BH will decide to sell WPLG back to PN once the two years is up. Maybe they're waiting to see if there are changes in the political landscape in Washington that will benefit them tax-wise.

WJXT has been using these graphics for a little while now. When I first saw them, I thought it was small market...

I was gonna say mid market, it definitely gives me the impression of watching an inferior product. It would be nice if the went in a truly different direction.

No. WPLG will be an independent entity separate from P-N/Graham.

However, they (WPLG & P-N/Graham) will remain loosely tied together via their "Transition Services Agreement" for up to two years. The newly independent WPLG will essentially outsource some services (Graphics, Traffic & Digital) to P-N/Graham. These are all services that P-N centralized/hubbed within their group, Graphics/WPLG, Traffic/WJXT & Digital/WDIV. So, to provide some level of continuity to WPLG in the short-term P-N/Graham will provide services from their Graphics, Traffic & Digital hubs for up to two years. WPLG/BH Media can terminate any or, all services without penalty by providing 60 days notice.

The P-N/Graham graphics hub will remain at WPLG for now. All of the current employees of the P-N/Graham graphics hub will remain employees of P-N/Graham. P-N/Graham will lease 1,000sf of space within WPLG's building from the newly independent WPLG/BH Media for up to two years. P-N/Graham can terminate the lease without penalty by providing three months notice.

Bolded for emphasis. The Transition Agreement could last up to two years. However, both parties can exit their portions early by providing the appropriate notice to the other party. Hopefully, that clears things up.

As to the new graphics...Meh.

Nothing new on KSAT, yet. But they seem to do their own thing considering they're one of P-N's stronger stations...

I promised I would get their 4 and 10 PM opens (different from the rest of the P-N stuff). I'll try Monday, just as long as they didn't dump the graphics.

I have to record them over the air because the quality is better and you don't have to see "www.bandicom.com" on the top of the video (sorry that's a pet peeve of mine, bothers me people don't spend the money like I did to get that removed...)

How many generations behind was WPLG that that is their "new" look? The lower 3rds are what KPRC had been using up until this week.

Now they are using WDIVs look. Which, comparatively, I'm not impressed with.

Well, I guess whenever the debut WDIV's pack (which I assume is going to be the P-N mandated graphics), WJXT's going to debut their new logo in newscasts (that they've been teasing in commercials and promos for a while, it's like WDIV's logo, but the colors from the old 'JXT logo are still there. It's ugly), as well as a new name for newscasts (they've also been calling their newscasts News 4 Jax in some 11pm promos).

Video of WDIV's new look...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQkUsMlAZJM

Video of WPLG's new look...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJinw7woE_E

Man, WDIV got the better end of things...

I actually prefer PLG's. But WHY does DIV's open say "Live, from home of Click On Detroit..."? Why does any station need to say "from the home of (station's website)"? That is one of the stupidest things ever...

Also, was anyone else getting a Scripps feel from that open? There had some pretty similar elements.

Brian Williams as anchor: The best

Brian williams as voiceover artist: As Bob uecker says just a bit outside.

But I also said the same about mark peeples doing voiceovers for kprc back in the day.

I still think wjxt and ksat12 show the most creativity out of the PNG group

Brian Williams as anchor: The best

Brian williams as voiceover artist: As Bob uecker says just a bit outside.

But I also said the same about mark peeples doing voiceovers for kprc back in the day.

I still think wjxt and ksat12 show the most creativity out of the PNG group

WJXT blows KSAT's creativity out of the water. KSAT's had the same CSD since 1997, and aside from going HD and changing the logo three times since taking over, not much has changed. The overall feel of the station seems the same as it was in the late 90's. Their graphics are amazing though.

And yes, KSAT intros the newscasts, "You're watching KSAT 12, home of KSAT.com"... Only the 10pm open deviates from that ("KSAT 12 News Nightbeat, starts, RIGHT now")

WJXT blows KSAT's creativity out of the water. KSAT's had the same CSD since 1997, and aside from going HD and changing the logo three times since taking over, not much has changed. The overall feel of the station seems the same as it was in the late 90's. Their graphics are amazing though.

And yes, KSAT intros the newscasts, "You're watching KSAT 12, home of KSAT.com"... Only the 10pm open deviates from that ("KSAT 12 News Nightbeat, starts, RIGHT now")

WDIV's 11pm newscast was known as the Nightbeat before they switched to the current clickondetroit stuff and started calling it Local 4 News At 11 about 10 years ago, maybe more.

Archived