KTLA adds news at 11pm.

CircleSeven

I'm just going to leave this right here...

Let's hope this doesn't become a thing across other Tribune stations. It doesn't seem as unrealistic with the news of the KTLA expansion.

WXIN & WXMI have already announced plans to start their 11pm show (I think one of them has already started their new 11pm a couple of weeks ago). But I hope Channel 9 doesn't follow this trend.

WXIN & WXMI have already announced plans to start their 11pm show (I think one of them has already started their new 11pm a couple of weeks ago). But I hope Channel 9 doesn't follow this trend.

Would WGN have not learned anything from FOX32's 'The TEN'? (Actually, I didn't hate that newscast.)

Would WGN have not learned anything from FOX32's 'The TEN'? (Actually, I didn't hate that newscast.)

I'm not saying that, they would obviously not follow the format WFLD did with their unsuccessful 10pm format, should they think about comtemplating that (and I hope they don't). I'm just saying they shouldn't follow the trend and add a 10pm. Hell Channel 9 has poured endless hours of news anyway. There should be no reason to fill that 10pm spot with other programming offerings.

I'm not saying that, they would obviously not follow the format WFLD did with their unsuccessful 10pm format, should they think about comtemplating that (and I hope they don't). I'm just saying they shouldn't follow the trend and add a 10pm. Hell Channel 9 has poured endless hours of news anyway. There should be no reason to fill that 10pm spot with other programming offerings.

I didn't say you were saying that. I was only referring to the idea of entering the time slot period, the format notwithstanding.

I didn't say you were saying that. I was only referring to the idea of entering the time slot period, the format notwithstanding.

They can be wise and placing a non-news program on that timeslot. It makes me think that's taking some sort of easy way out. The station is already going for 64 hours of news with the addition of their hourly 4pm, why expand even further? Before you know it, Channel 9 might announce their plans for a 6pm and 10pm.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you have too. I don't condone stations flooding nearly 40% of your weekly programming offerings with news. Your average viewer would think "all they should is news, and nothing else".

KTLA is already clocking in at 59.5 hours of news a week, but besides their 6 hour morning shows, the hourly 1pm, 6pm & half-hour 11pm, they're not flooding the entire weekday lineup with news like WGN. I think KTLA air the most hours of news in the weekend, than WPIX & WGN. I'm happy KTLA have a three hour weekend morning news block, that shift that Vortexx block (similar to KMAX's lineup 9am-2pm).

I'm just going to leave this right here...

Let's hope this doesn't become a thing across other Tribune stations. It doesn't seem as unrealistic with the news of the KTLA expansion.

KDVR started producing Nightside a few years ago under Local TV management. So I know that's not going anywhere.

...though they did cut the weekend 10pm broadcasts not too long ago, if that's an indicator of anything.

That's a staff cost cutting measure. There are typically fewer newscast hours on the weekend. So. No. I don't see an indication toward anything there.

Guest Former Member 207

KTLA now competes with KCAL on weekends now? No more Saturday Night Screening Room or Evening Weekend Film Festivals?

Just on Sunday nights; KTLA has done so for a couple of years now, albeit without a lot of fanfare. They had to put something on once The CW stopped programming on Sunday nights. KTLA has Two and a Half Men and Family Guy reruns in Saturday primetime, followed by News at Ten.

SanDiegoSFTV,

The news block only runs on Sundays. Its called KTLA Sunday Edition and ran from 8p-10p, followed by the KTLA News at 10. I believe its been on for the last couple years. Looks like they are cutting the Sunday edition to just 9-10p.m,

So on weekends the news will now be on:

Saturday: 6-9 am, 6-7 pm, 10-11:30 pm

Sunday: 6-9 am, 6-7 pm, 9-11:30 pm

Saturday gains a half-hour, Sunday loses a half-hour.

SanDiegoSFTV,

The news block only runs on Sundays. Its called KTLA Sunday Edition and ran from 8p-10p, followed by the KTLA News at 10. I believe its been on for the last couple years. Looks like they are cutting the Sunday edition to just 9-10p.m,

So on weekends the news will now be on:

Saturday: 6-9 am, 6-7 pm, 10-11:30 pm

Sunday: 6-9 am, 6-7 pm, 9-11:30 pm

Saturday gains a half-hour, Sunday loses a half-hour.

In other words, they dropped the Sunday 8pm hour to place those two half hour 11pm on both days. It keeps the weekend hours a status quo. Good for KTLA.

Interesting. Thank you...I miss SoCal news. Its way different up here in SF especially in the mornings. Straight to the point news. No segments except Pet Day on Fridays lol.

Archived