Meredith to buy WGGB

Glimmer

http://www.wggb.com/2014/06/18/meredith-corporation-agrees-to-purchase-wggb-tv/

This marks Meredith's first ABC affiliate and I want to say it's smallest market...

Technically, Springfield, Massachusetts is already Meredith's smallest market. They already own WSHM-LD, the city's CBS affiliate and a semi-repeater of WFSB (the whole thing will be legal on account of the fact that WSHM is an LPTV)... which means (and especially considering that WSHM operates its own news department) some people may have to look for work soon, depending on how this duopoly will be structured.

Technically, Springfield, Massachusetts is already Meredith's smallest market. They already own WSHM-LD, the city's CBS affiliate and a semi-repeater of WFSB (the whole thing will be legal on account of the fact that WSHM is an LPTV)... which means (and especially considering that WSHM operates its own news department) some people may have to look for work soon, depending on how this duopoly will be structured.

WSHM's news department is smaller than WGGB's. The only WSHM-produced newscasts are at 4, 6 and 11.

No one has mentioned WGGB has FOX on their .2 channel. This may be the sign of things to come with their KASW operation in Phoenix--moving to a subchannel, that is.

I'm not sure if that's really an indication of anything. The Fox subchannel on WGGB has been around since shortly before Sinclair sold it to Gormally a few years ago.

http://www.wggb.com/2014/06/18/meredith-corporation-agrees-to-purchase-wggb-tv/

This marks Meredith's first ABC affiliate and I want to say it's smallest market, though it is in close proximity to Hartford and WFSB. I wonder if more ABC affiliates are on the horizon for them.

The last time Meredith had anything to do with ABC was when they aired selective programs on WOW (now WOWT) & WHEN (now WTVH), as they aired ABC as a secondary, and that was until 1957 & 1962 respectively. Nevertheless, Meredith's is making history by acquiring is first standalone ABC affiliate. I wouldn't be shocked if Meredith would make a formal announcement, at the same time it closes on KTVK, either tomorrow or Friday.

It probably means they are the frontrunner to buy the divested Providence station, at the very least, as well.

Also do they really think it will take 6 months, since there are no full-power conflicts?

I have strong hopes that they would acquire WPRI (should MG keep WJAR). It would really fit their portfolio well in the New England region.

I'm not sure if that's really an indication of anything. The Fox subchannel on WGGB has been around since shortly before Sinclair sold it to Gormally a few years ago.

No, I think the station was under Gormally's ownership when Fox subchannel launched. The deal with Gormally was closed five months before the launch. Although they probably might've announce the Fox plans before they ink the sale to Gormally.

No one has mentioned WGGB has FOX on their .2 channel. This may be the sign of things to come with their KASW operation in Phoenix--moving to a subchannel, that is.

Should that be the case, Phoenix would become the largest TV market to have a CW station as a digital subchannel. With these new JSA restrictions, we could see more of this, and Wheeler will be very happy. I hope KASW don't get sold to speculator. :angry: :bang: :mad:

Should that be the case, Phoenix would become the largest TV market to have a CW station as a digital subchannel. With these new JSA restrictions, we could see more of this, and Wheeler will be very happy. I hope KASW don't get sold to speculator. :angry: :bang: :mad:

Or just move the CW affiliation to KTVK, then sell KASW to a Spanish broadcaster.

Or just move the CW affiliation to KTVK, then sell KASW to a Spanish broadcaster.

KTVK lineup is so superb to even have a CW affiliation on there. They have a boatload of CBSTVD show. The CW would likely be packed on 3.2 and the KASW standalone station be sold. I rather see it sold by what you mentioned a Spanish Broadcaster, than a speculator, because their only plan is to shut the station down after the auction & repack.

KTVK lineup is superb to have a CW affiliation on their. It would likely see it packed on 3.2. And KASW being sold. I rather see it sold by what you mentioned a Spanish Broadcaster, than a speculator that their only plan is to shut the station down after the auction & repack.

There's nothing really superb about Dr. Oz in primetime. CW programming would serve better there.

There's nothing really superb about Dr. Oz in primetime. CW programming would serve better there.

Hell No. CW programming ain't all that damn good. And anyway, which station would air all those displaced syndie programs on channel 61, while KTVK have all that lucrative programming? I'm not a fan of packing in all those subchannels in one frequency because it degrades the quality of the picture, but what choice do they have?

Meredith will be fine with the plans they're set forth in Phoenix. I know layoffs will be eminent, too. Just hope it won't be too many of those. I wouldn't mind seeing KTVK pulling a KCAL and have a three-hour news block from 7-10pm, and move Wheel & Jeopardy on an earlier timeslot. But that's kind of asking for too much.

Hell No. CW programming ain't all that damn good. And anyway, which station would air all those displaced syndie programs on channel 61? I'm not a fan of packing in all those subchannels in one frequency because it degrades the quality of the picture, but what choice do they have?

Meredith will be fine with the plans they're set forth in Phoenix. I know layoffs will be eminent, too. Just hope it won't be too many of those.

There's not too many fast-action shows on KTVK (unlike KPHO and CBS with a lot of sports), so the PQ issue would be degraded, but not completely destroyed, if they moved CW to 3.2 (using 720p for both channels and variable bit rate). Besides, they can still send both services to the cable company in 1080i HD, it's just to the transmitter where it will be noticeable.

Hell No. CW programming ain't all that damn good.

Why so allergic to CW programming? I'd take Whose Line over Dr. Oz anyday.

And anyway, which station would air all those displaced syndie programs on channel 61?

Some of it could move to KTVK. KAZT could also benefit from better shows.

Where would "Wheel" and "Jeopardy!" go? To KPHO?

Or just move them to a different time.

Let's not forget that there's no guarantee The CW will still exist past September 2016.

There's no guarantee that it'll go away either, only the possibility of Tribune dropping them.

Meredith has said that it values KASW because it reaches a "younger, more diverse" audience. You'll find that line in conference calls and such.

I do think KTVK and KAZT would be the primary beneficiaries of a KASW liquidation, with KUTP also possibly picking up some bits and pieces.

It should be mentioned that this was one of the select few stations that the Heathens of Hunt Valley actually DIVESTED! (to Gormally)

Aside from WGME, Springfield, MA was well out of Sinclair's core in 2007 when they divested. As a former Guy Gannett station, they also passed on WOKR (now WHAM, which they later "acquired" after a succession of owners including Ackerley, Clear Channel and Newport, who ultimately divested the station to Deerfield...)

I always thought that this was the likely end game as well once everything is done shaking out.

KTVK lineup is so superb to even have a CW affiliation on there. They have a boatload of CBSTVD show. The CW would likely be packed on 3.2 and the KASW standalone station be sold. I rather see it sold by what you mentioned a Spanish Broadcaster, than a speculator, because their only plan is to shut the station down after the auction & repack.

Exempting any of KASW's & KTVK's syndicated programming for the moment...It really wouldn't require clearing out that much room in the programming day to make room for The CW's network programming. And, as much as I hate to say it once the newsrooms are combined I don't see KTVK continuing to put out nine hours of news each weekday. They likely aren't going to have KTVK & KPHO compete against each other much, if at all. So, with that in mind I could easily see KTVK dumping at least 3 hours of news thereby freeing up enough room for The CW without having to dump any of their current syndicated programming.

Meredith has said that it values KASW because it reaches a "younger, more diverse" audience. You'll find that line in conference calls and such.

I do think KTVK and KAZT would be the primary beneficiaries of a KASW liquidation, with KUTP also possibly picking up some bits and pieces.

Yep. And, at least according to the application that was granted Meredith holds an option agreement to re-acquire KASW. I assume this was left in order to facilitate a sale as part of the conditional grant agreement they submitted. Basically, the same thing Gannett just did...find a buyer then in one swoop exercise option, reacquire and immediately sell. The only thing here is once they reacquire they could theoretically strip away assets like say...IDK...programming and affiliation agreements before re-selling KASW to a new, final owner. Not saying it's a guarantee but, it's certainly possible...especially if the new buyer has no need for English language programming. Meredith could then cherry pick what they want to keep and either parcel out the remainder or dump what they don't want.

WRT, to the main topic and WGGB. Meredith is really going to have that Springfield market locked down. Hopefully, the layoffs from the consolidation will be limited. But, as Raymie pointed out WSHM is a relatively small operation so, it shouldn't be too bad.

Exempting any of KASW's & KTVK's syndicated programming for the moment...It really wouldn't require clearing out that much room in the programming day to make room for The CW's network programming. And, as much as I hate to say it once the newsrooms are combined I don't see KTVK continuing to put out nine hours of news each weekday. They likely aren't going to have KTVK & KPHO compete against each other much, if at all. So, with that in mind I could easily see KTVK dumping at least 3 hours of news thereby freeing up enough room for The CW without having to dump any of their current syndicated programming.

Sorry but I've never understood the logic of two co-owned stations not competing against each other. The two stations will get the ad dollars going to the same place regardless of which of the two channels you're watching. Just a thought. Take it for what it's worth.

Sorry but I've never understood the logic of two co-owned stations not competing against each other. The two stations will get the ad dollars going to the same place regardless of which of the two channels you're watching. Just a thought. Take it for what it's worth.

Yep. They do that in radio all the time.

There are plenty of examples of this sort of affair. If you want one in television, the largest of them is probably Televisa—three national networks, an assortment of local semi-independents, etc. Each of the networks has a programming specialty, too.

Wow. We didn't have to wait for the paperwork to be posted.

Meredith is giving Mr. Gormally something he wouldn't refuse. Now let's backtrack for a second. Almost seven years ago, Mr. Gormally paid Sinclair $21.2M to acquire the station. Meredith is buying the station from Mr. Gormally for $53.8M!!!!

There are plenty of examples of this sort of affair. If you want one in television, the largest of them is probably Televisa—three national networks, an assortment of local semi-independents, etc. Each of the networks has a programming specialty, too.

Or Tribune's KWGN/KDVR combo in Denver. Two completely different morning shows, yet they share reporters, IIRC.

Archived