SHOCKER: Scripps and Journal to merge

Glimmer

It seems like the best deal possible. There is no way a standalone KNIN would survive in the Boise market (already pretty small for 3 operations), and they already have experience together in West Palm Beach. The other possibility I could think of was a small local company purchasing KNIN.

IF they wanted to, Block Communications easily could have made a move for KNIN, and then immediately disperse of KRTV. Remember that, during the WNWO retrans war Block's Buckeye Cable had with S!nclair, Block offered up KRTV up on a silver platter, which S!nclair immediately turned down.

As it stands, this has to be the first real acquisition by Raycom in... seven years? I wouldn't count the WTVR-WBRC trade with LocalTV or the SSA with Tom Benson's WVUE as purchases per se. In a sense, I actually am a bit surprised by this move.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IF they wanted to, Block Communications easily could have made a move for KNIN (and then disperse of KRTV if need be). Remember that, during the WNWO retrans war Block's Buckeye Cable had with S!nclair, Block offered up KRTV up on a silver platter, which S!nclair immediately turned down.

As it stands, this has to be the first real acquisition by Raycom in... seven years? I wouldn't count the WTVR-WBRC trade with LocalTV or the SSA with Tom Benson's WVUE as purchases per se. In a sense, I actually am a bit surprised by this move.

Don't you mean KTRV-TV?

Oh certainly it is surprising because there was no prior evidence that Raycom would even consider Boise. It's 840 miles from KOLD, the closest Raycom market. In contrast, there are only four Raycom stations not located within 840 miles of Montgomery, Alabama — Lubbock, Tucson, Honolulu and now Boise.

Oh certainly it is surprising because there was no prior evidence that Raycom would even consider Boise. It's 840 miles from KOLD, the closest Raycom market. In contrast, there are only four Raycom stations not located within 840 miles of Montgomery, Alabama — Lubbock, Tucson, Honolulu and now Boise.

Hindsight is 20/20. But, The funny thing is that it's not that surprising when you think about it.

Sure, on it's own Raycom buying a standalone station in Boise would be surprising. But, given the circumstances it's not all that shocking. Scripps needed to unload a station but, likely preferred to "keep it in the fold." And, given their prior relationship in West Palm Beach who better to turn to then Raycom.

And, as I stated in the Raycom thread earlier today this makes a lot of sense for both parties. They already have a template under which to operate. Raycom picks up a station for a pretty small sum and will be able to keep the operational expenditures pretty low. And, Scripps gets to keep a lot of the "duopoly efficiencies." It's a win-win for both of them.

So, yes Raycom likely would have never went into Boise on their own. Especially given the geographic island the station would be on within the station group. However, this was a unique opportunity for Raycom to add an asset that would be an outpost for a relatively small sum ($14.5 Million) and without really adding any major investments. Raycom really only has to worry about the payroll for the >10 people they will likey have in the KNIN office and the SSA payment of roughly $130k a month (+2.5% annual increase.) They are entering into an SSA and leasing space from Scripps so, they don't need to worry about building out a studio/office. And, given Scripps is running the "technical" operations there is no need to worry about infrastructure investments to connect it to the rest of the station group. It's kind of a no-brainer for Raycom plus, they are working with a partner they've been working with for several years. Looking back maybe we should have seen this coming.

• 7 months later...

It will be interesting what Scripps does to the radio stations. Some of them are very interesting like having FM music stations with full 24/7 news departments and AM radio stations with local host, Its not the norm how radio is operated now with voice tracking and syndication. They really haven't touch the radio stations so far mostly because former Journal people running the radio division.

It will be interesting what Scripps does to the radio stations. Some of them are very interesting like having FM music stations with full 24/7 news departments and AM radio stations with local host, Its not the norm how radio is operated now with voice tracking and syndication. They really haven't touch the radio stations so far mostly because former Journal people running the radio division.

Just Curious........

What compels someone that joined this group in 2007 to suddenly post 3 messages in 3 different topic areas in the last 48hours???

Not a single post in 8 years....none.

How many ID's you working here...cuz my guess is 5.

Just Curious........

What compels someone that joined this group in 2007 to suddenly post 3 messages in 3 different topic areas in the last 48hours???

Not a single post in 8 years....none.

How many ID's you working here...cuz my guess is 5.

6 actually... But for real, I'm just a long time lurker that decided to post.

There's nothing to be done really. Scripps has the Packers, Brewers and Bucks network rights and selling WTMJ and WKTI to iHeart or Saga would be a white flag of shame; WTMJ will switch the talk format to FM before they ever consider selling. Right now, the radio division runs itself just fine and there's no compelling reason to sell off; it's the TV side which needs plenty of help and should have Scripps' full attention right now.

Archived