Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

"News 5 Cleveland" is sort of clunky to say, almost like a tongue twister. It's also weird seeing "News 5 ___" and not "News 4 ___". Kinda like someone on the interwebs saying "that was 5ever ago" in place of "4ever."

Also on a sort of related note, KSHB seems to have changed its slogan from "Kansas City's Breaking News Leader" to "Clear Complete Coverage." It's basically a return to their 2007ish-era slogan of "Complete Coverage." The L3 box and new promos show the change.

• Like 1

Now about "The Now" period. I'm surprised it's still around, despite it's overall failure.

Cheap, that's all I can imagine. The theory around here is that they'll scrap the brand and keep a standard newscast at 4 with normal branding kind of like WDIV does but keep the hour length rather than 30 minutes that DIV does.

Now about "The Now" period. I'm surprised it's still around, despite it's overall failure.

Because it costs less to produce than it makes on ad revenue, resulting in a profit. I also know WTMJ's Now has had ratings gains ever since it launched. People like it.

I know people on here don't like The Now because it's not a "traditional newscast", but calling it a "failure" couldn't be further from the truth.

• Like 2

Because it costs less to produce than it makes on ad revenue, resulting in a profit. I also know WTMJ's Now has had ratings gains ever since it launched. People like it.

I know people on here don't like The Now because it's not a "traditional newscast", but calling it a "failure" couldn't be further from the truth.

In several there markets it's doing significantly worse than the program's it replaced... In those markets it's a dud. Detroit and KC come to mind. Detroit gave up on promoting it. They tried for 2 years and it's stuck at around a 2.3. That's a full point lower than Dr. Oz had. Their 5pm that relies on The NOW to be a lead in is down 2-3 points with it. The 6pm is down 2-3 as well. It's profitable... Maybe. But it's killed ratings and revenue down the line...

It should be noted that WKBW never cleared "The Now" as part of the Scripps reclamation project, nor are they this fall. (WKBW is clearing Harry Connick, Jr.'s new show at 3pm, moving "Hot Bench" to the 4pm hour, and scuttling "Right this Minute" to 12:30.)

Of course, KB has been airing "AM Buffalo" in the 10am timeslot since 1978... and that's in line with the infotainment shows the legacy Journal stations would have aired/are airing.

And did anyone notice that "RTM" is, as of this fall, being syndicated by Disney/ABC?

• Like 1

In several there markets it's doing significantly worse than the program's it replaced... In those markets it's a dud. Detroit and KC come to mind. Detroit gave up on promoting it. They tried for 2 years and it's stuck at around a 2.3. That's a full point lower than Dr. Oz had. Their 5pm that relies on The NOW to be a lead in is down 2-3 points with it. The 6pm is down 2-3 as well. It's profitable... Maybe. But it's killed ratings and revenue down the line...

WXYZ's iteration of "The Now" has morphed into a pseudo-"Action News at 4," right? The only thing different is the presentation/graphics and whatever content they take from KMGH.

WEWS's Now replaced back-to-back episodes of RTM, which replaced "Dr. Oz" in mid-season (Oz moved to 10am exclusively, then WEWS gave his show up to WJW). So they had ratings issues in that timeslot that were worse than Detroit.

I haven't really watched WEWS's Now in awhile, but with the 6pm team of Rob Powers and Danita Harris now as anchors, it's likely that WEWS will follow the same lead and make it a quasi-"News 5 Cleveland at 4" in all but name only.

• Like 1

WXYZ's iteration of "The Now" has morphed into a pseudo-"Action News at 4," right? The only thing different is the presentation/graphics and whatever content they take from KMGH.

WEWS's Now replaced back-to-back episodes of RTM, which replaced "Dr. Oz" in mid-season (Oz moved to 10am exclusively, then WEWS gave his show up to WJW). So they had ratings issues in that timeslot that were worse than Detroit.

I haven't really watched WEWS's Now in awhile, but with the 6pm team of Rob Powers and Danita Harris now as anchors, it's likely that WEWS will follow the same lead and make it a quasi-"News 5 Cleveland at 4" in all but name only.

That would be basically correct... They are in an apparent transition from Rich Van Slyke to Brian Lee as VO so their marketing is very spotty right now. There hasn't been a new ad series for The NOW since January outside of a mention in a promo for their 4-630 block that aired for most of July and August. XYZ does its best to minimize Scripps presence for viewers so the KMGH stuff always feels out of place. The only thing worse is Scripps national investigative reports they are forced to take every once in a while. No Scripps logos on set, no unnecessary mentions in copy. Nothing.

Tip of the cap to the ABC hired GM for keeping that tradition alive. I hope whenever they get a new set the lighthouse doesn't stare at me every day...

What are WEWS's ratings in the evenings like these days?

What are WEWS's ratings in the evenings like these days?

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the most recent ratings postings.

Typically, WKYC and WEWS have been battling it out for #2 at 6pm and #1 at 11pm (WJW doesn't have an 11pm newscast.) If I were to hazard a guess, WEWS is #3 or #4 at 4pm** and #3 at 5pm, behind WJW and WKYC's durable talk block of Ellen and Dr. Phil.

The only time period WEWS really struggles is in early mornings... WJW's "Fox 8 News in the Morning" often doubles and triples the competition. Likewise, "Good Morning Cleveland" has been rebooted multiple times over the past decade.

**That depends on how badly WOIO has flopped with "Cleveland 19 News" across the board.

• Like 1

7 is a shit hole now... Someone should just by Scripps and call it a day. I can't tell you how unimpressed I am with their management.

As opposed to S!nclair or Nexstar? Even Cox isn't universally loved (**cough** WFXT **cough**) and they have a better reputation than most.

It wasn't in the best shape when they got it either...

Also remember that KMGH's previous GM was reassigned to WEWS before the "Denver 7" rebrand.

Fine, but's not certainly success, either. WTMJ is the first I've heard of it actually seeing a ratings increase since its inception. Kansas City viewers don't like it, as the Now plunged KSHB from first to last at 5 and 6pm and they haven't recovered since. There were rumors at one point that KSHB was going to be allowed to scrap the show or move it to another time.

Though to be fair, I guess, KSHB was one of the guinea pig stations (the other being KMGH), having it before anyone else.

Fine, but's not certainly success, either. WTMJ is the first I've heard of it actually seeing a ratings increase since its inception. Kansas City viewers don't like it, as the Now plunged KSHB from first to last at 5 and 6pm and they haven't recovered since. There were rumors at one point that KSHB was going to be allowed to scrap the show or move it to another time.

Though to be fair, I guess, KSHB was one of the guinea pig stations (the other being KMGH), having it before anyone else.

They should just spend the .99 cents to go normal and keep news. If it works in Milwaukee let them have it but where it doesn't work cut your losses. It's only good business sense.

• Like 1

It should be pointed out WTMJ's version of The Now is so much different than what other Scripps stations are doing. WTMJ doesn't air the social media or viral video garbage, its mostly locally produced feature stories and its 30 minutes. The only things that are the same is the graphics, the name and the hosts dresses casual. My guess is that WTMJ was forced to use "The Now" name when local management wanted to retool the 6:30 half hour and then they got to do whatever they wanted...

It should be pointed out WTMJ's version of The Now is so much different than what other Scripps stations are doing. WTMJ doesn't air the social media or viral video garbage, its mostly locally produced feature stories and its 30 minutes. The only things that are the same is the graphics, the name and the hosts dresses casual. My guess is that WTMJ was forced to use "The Now" name when local management wanted to retool the 6:30 half hour and then they got to do whatever they wanted...

The same goes for WXYZ and now potentially WEWS... Not even close to what the original idea was. It maybe a sign Scripps realized their idea was a dud. I get that. But it's hard to fix a dud without just throwing it out and starting fresh.

• Like 1

I had heard around the time it launched that WTMJ's "Now" was/is a experiment that could find its way to other stations that don't have their own "Now", and the ones that do could reformat eventually.

Obviously WGBA is a candidate for this since they still have "Wisconsin Tonight", and WMAR has that "In Focus" show that reminds me of Wisconsin Tonight.

As opposed to S!nclair or Nexstar? Even Cox isn't universally loved (**cough** WFXT **cough**) and they have a better reputation than most.

Also remember that KMGH's previous GM was reassigned to WEWS before the "Denver 7" rebrand.

That wasn't the GM or News Director's decision.

Matt Laws IV, the former Assistant Creative Director at WCAU made that decision.

That wasn't the GM or News Director's decision.

Matt Laws IV, the former Assistant Creative Director at WCAU made that description.

And you honestly think the News Director and GM had no input?!? That doesn't seem realistic...

• Like 1