Sinclair's American Sports Network debuts today

Viper550

Looks like they're going to showcase most, if not all, of the Minor League associations. TBH, I wish they could expand it more so that I might see the Mahoning Valley Scrappers on TV.

And nearly all of the featured teams and locations are in SBGI's station footprint, with the lone exceptions being Akron, Gwinnett, and Hickory [Charlotte].

The American Sports Network, now with minor league baseball. They'll now have a Sunday MiLB game of the week beginning May 31 and two A-level all-star games.

Comcast SportsNet Chicago is going to air 13 regular games and the 2 all star games starting on May 31:

http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/7425-csn-chicago-heads-down-to-the-minor-leagues

• 3 months later...

ASN's grabbed another conference; this time the Mid-American Conference as part of an ESPN sub-license. 10 football games and 15 basketball games for the 2015-16 season.

Also, ASN's touched up their scoreboard a bit this year; the fonts are a bit smaller for the team names and I'm not sure if the yellow brackets are for possession or if that is who made the official review. Baby steps; still a little too much going on.

[MEDIA=twitter]639612277226770432[/MEDIA]

ASN's grabbed another conference; this time the Mid-Atlantic Conference as part of an ESPN sub-license. 10 football games and 15 basketball games for the 2015-16 season.

Also, ASN's touched up their scoreboard a bit this year; the fonts are a bit smaller for the team names and I'm not sure if the yellow brackets are for possession or if that is who made the official review. Baby steps; still a little too much going on.

[MEDIA=twitter]639612277226770432[/MEDIA]

Is the game clock just a camera pointing at the clock at the stadium? Surprised at how low tech that looks. Otherwise the graphics look fine.

Is the game clock just a camera pointing at the clock at the stadium? Surprised at how low tech that looks. Otherwise the graphics look fine.

ESPN3 does that with regularity, and given that this is an FCS SoCon game, it's to be expected.

• 1 month later...

Interesting, ESPN doesn't have the monopoly on minor bowls anymore. First, the Cure Bowl (Yes, that is the real name) is on CBSSN, and now the Arizona Bowl has been picked up by ASN in partnership with Campus Insiders, a streaming service used by the smaller conferences.

Link to ASN press release

http://americansportsnet.com/asn-campus-insiders-team-up-to-present-inaugural-arizona-bowl/

• 1 month later...

Well, here's a bundle of Arizona Bowl reaction:

[MEDIA=twitter]682005865927331840[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]682009759373856768[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]682009857789067264[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]682005452066967553[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]682004075043409920[/MEDIA]

As far as I'm seeing right now ASN does have first down lines and it's actually a good presentation (though I'm watching on WCGV, which decided to ditch MyNet's "TWD" two-fer to carry it on the .1 in HD unlike many markets). It could have easily been worse than it ended up being.

All the terrible issues with the game come from the idiots who organized the game in the first place, who thought people who aren't stalkers of every move in the high school/college recruitment community would watch the game on a site called campusinsiders.com and realized it would get few viewers, so they had to organize a last-minute deal with ASN to carry it (who couldn't seem to get many people to advertise on it, thus the lousy ad/PSA roster). They also had to beg to sell off the tickets they could for what ended up being an extra game against two Mountain West teams that conference was pissed was scheduled that way; apparently they had desperate live shots on Tucson news stations to push the tickets on a disinterested population (you know a bowl is bleeding red-ink when only the 20-yard logos get painted over with the Arizona Wildcats marks still well all over the field).

This whole arrangement reminded me of the Yahoo NFL game from a few months ago ... but obviously, this wasn't the NFL. There are two common bonds: the stream was good, but the game itself wasn't the best.

The good part here is that they at least tried to do something new, and have helped break ESPN's monopoly on bowls a bit more. I would not have partnered with such obscure properties (i.e. Campus Insiders); I would have went more for, say, SB Nation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Curious to see which stations they'll partner with in Phoenix, Tucson, and Phoenix. But you're right, this has a lot of potential in a lot of markets, particularly Columbus since they could just air those games on WWHO and maybe a few on WTTE as well as on their sister stations in Dayton and Cincinnati.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/sports/2016/02/26/0225-crew-tv.html

Turns out I wasn't far off. WWHO is now the new broadcast home of the Columbus Crew. The majority will air on there while 2 games will air on WTTE and 1 on WSYX.

The twist though is that the games will also be broadcast on Time Warner Cable Sports and who will still be handling the production of these telecasts. So Sinclair is able to be a part of this deal without getting ASN involved, which I found interesting.

Archived