The end is now near for WJSU/WCFT

Thundershock MN

And I would have to disagree. "ABC Alabama" makes a lot more sense than 33/40 — heck, it would have been a better name for the station to launch with in 1996.

And calling the station "ABC Birmingham" would be prone to ticking off viewers in the DMA outside of B'ham in places like Tuscaloosa and Gadsden. The market spans the entire width of the state; "ABC Alabama" or "Alabama's 13" is an appropriate name, and it's far more useful in branding a station to a market outside of Birmingham proper.

I'm sorry, but I still disagree. Other urbanized regions across the South allow their brand if it is associated with the urban core align with that place and Birmingham DMA ought not be any different. Yeah, it might bother those in Tuscaloosa, Anniston, or Tuscaloosa, but this region is centered around Birmingham.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry, but I still disagree. Other urbanized regions across the South allow their brand if it is associated with the urban core align with that place and Birmingham DMA ought not be any different. Yeah, it might bother those in Tuscaloosa, Anniston, or Tuscaloosa, but this region is centered around Birmingham.

I think it depends on the area. NBC 6 Miami didn't go over so well, but NBC 6 South Florida is acceptable. It's harder to brand by city when there are other big/midsize cities in your market. The DFW area also comes to mind. Personally, if they're going to use a geographical name, I think ABC Central Alabama makes the most sense. ABC Alabama is overinclusive while ABC Birmingham is underinclusive.

So after about a week of 33/40 having the new sinclair graphics, I must say that I actually love them over the old allbritton package. I wasn't expecting to like it this much. Flipping the bug to bottom left has taken some getting used to, but again, it is a much improved presentation overall.

My only negative at this point is the music. There doesn't appear to be much in the way of various themes/cuts. The open/close, sports, specials, and break-ins all use the same music cut. The only thing different is the weather/traffic lead in, which is just a simplified version of the 4-note motif played in piano...so basic, and not creative at all.

Lastly, I wish the actual open was a little longer much like this presentation from WBFF

- open starts at :40sec

• 2 weeks later...

I think it depends on the area. NBC 6 Miami didn't go over so well, but NBC 6 South Florida is acceptable. It's harder to brand by city when there are other big/midsize cities in your market. The DFW area also comes to mind. Personally, if they're going to use a geographical name, I think ABC Central Alabama makes the most sense. ABC Alabama is overinclusive while ABC Birmingham is underinclusive.

You are contradicting yourself. What other big cities are there that are adjacent to Birmingham? If you're thinking Tuscaloosa is worthy of being identified, then it might be a situation like "Dayton-Springfield" (and Richmond), which some refer to as the "Miami Valley" because of the Miami River running through Dayton. Of course, WKEF ABC 22 was traditionally called "Dayton 22".

But I don't think Tuscaloosa counts since it is 60 miles away. I think ABC Birmingham Sounds fine.

Only negative at this point is the music. There doesn't appear to be much in the way of various themes/cuts. The open/close, sports, specials, and break-ins all use the same music cut. The only thing different is the weather/traffic lead in, which is just a simplified version of the 4-note motif played in piano...so basic, and not creative at all.

Curves' main opens for Morning, Early Evening, and Late shows are great. The bumps and others are just slightly edited cuts from Glass.

It's not the package's fault the sound guy didn't pick better cuts.

So after about a week of 33/40 having the new sinclair graphics, I must say that I actually love them over the old allbritton package. I wasn't expecting to like it this much. Flipping the bug to bottom left has taken some getting used to, but again, it is a much improved presentation overall.

My only negative at this point is the music. There doesn't appear to be much in the way of various themes/cuts. The open/close, sports, specials, and break-ins all use the same music cut. The only thing different is the weather/traffic lead in, which is just a simplified version of the 4-note motif played in piano...so basic, and not creative at all.

Lastly, I wish the actual open was a little longer much like this presentation from WBFF

- open starts at :40sec

I don't hate the music as much as I first did, but I still hate it. I liked their last package better.

You are contradicting yourself. What other big cities are there that are adjacent to Birmingham? If you're thinking Tuscaloosa is worthy of being identified, then it might be a situation like "Dayton-Springfield" (and Richmond), which some refer to as the "Miami Valley" because of the Miami River running through Dayton. Of course, WKEF ABC 22 was traditionally called "Dayton 22".

But I don't think Tuscaloosa counts since it is 60 miles away. I think ABC Birmingham Sounds fine.

I am not contradicting myself. I was referring to Tuscaloosa, Anniston, and Gadsden. They are all part of the Birmingham DMA. So yes, Tuscaloosa does count.

They used the original NewsOne. It's like MCTYW - Outdated and needed/needs to go.

I'm talking about the Sinclair News Music Package (Stephen Arnold Music) and Daily News (Gari). Both packages were upbeat and they rocked. The current package seems like a poor man's version of the network news themes.

The current package is way too "wannabe serious" sounding for local news and especially for Sinclair. It sounds like they think the balance of the world rests on what happens at City Council. The music just doesn't fit.

http://www.southernmedia-nmsa.com/#1,1,WSYX

It tells me that Hearst loves using its' call letters in its' stations branding. Nothing more.

It's like when Macy's dumped all the regional department store names to rebrand everything to Macy's. Some of those local names had been around since the early 1800's. Why not use call letters when they are your longstanding local brand?

I'm talking about the Sinclair News Music Package (Stephen Arnold Music) and Daily News (Gari). Both packages were upbeat and they rocked. The current package seems like a poor man's version of the network news themes.

The current package is way too "wannabe serious" sounding for local news and especially for Sinclair. It sounds like they think the balance of the world rests on what happens at City Council. The music just doesn't fit.

Agreed. This is one of the reasons why my reaction to the WBMA rebrand has been mixed. The graphics, as simple as they are, are better than the previous trainwreck. The music...well, the new package is very...BLAND, even for me. Say what you will about News One, in my opinion, it had a lot more character and pep than this.

Now if Sinclair can get WBMA a replacement for that godawful set they have now, they'll go 2 for 3. Not bad for the iHeartMedia of TV station groups.

It tells me that Hearst loves using its' call letters in its' stations branding. Nothing more.

They (Hearst) should change the station's call letters back to WAPI if they are going to use call letters to brand, there are not a lot of people who know what WVTM is, lots of old timers still call it WAPI and remember the WAPI calls fondly.

I noticed when I rescanned on one of my televisions today that WCFT and WJSU are no more, HSH Holdings applied on March 11 to change the calls to WSES-33 and WGWW-40. I don't know what that means for the stations futures, if anything. I do wish that they would find a network better than Heartland TV. Mabye yanking MeTV from WVTM, or bringing on AntennaTV or Decades would be an option.

I noticed when I rescanned on one of my televisions today that WCFT and WJSU are no more, HSH Holdings applied on March 11 to change the calls to WSES-33 and WGWW-40. I don't know what that means for the stations futures, if anything. I do wish that they would find a network better than Heartland TV. Mabye yanking MeTV from WVTM, or bringing on AntennaTV or Decades would be an option.

The callsign changes were applied days prior. The changes went into effect on March 11.

They (Hearst) should change the station's call letters back to WAPI if they are going to use call letters to brand, there are not a lot of people who know what WVTM is, lots of old timers still call it WAPI and remember the WAPI calls fondly.

Channel 13 has been WVTM since the mid 1970s. They hold cache in the market. It's a much better brand than "Alabama's 13," that's for sure.

Switching back to the WAPI calls - which the vast majority of Briminghamians solely associate with radio and NOT channel 13 - makes no sense at all.

Agreed. This is one of the reasons why my reaction to the WBMA rebrand has been mixed. The graphics, as simple as they are, are better than the previous trainwreck. The music...well, the new package is very...BLAND, even for me. Say what you will about News One, in my opinion, it had a lot more character and pep than this.

Now if Sinclair can get WBMA a replacement for that godawful set they have now, they'll go 2 for 3. Not bad for the iHeartMedia of TV station groups.

So, there are a TON of other cuts of the theme that I was unaware of. So many good choices for: Long Opens, Talent Rejoins, Weather and Traffic Segments, the midday talk show "Talk of Alabama," Special Reports, Crime Stoppers, Sports, and Long Close. Whoever the sound guy is that chose the same 2 cuts for everything needs a good 'ol slap in the face! There is actually some good cuts of the theme they should be using!!

Add a new set from Devlin and this station could really rock! With WVTM getting a set updgrade (only duratrans, I know) ABC 3340 now has the oldest set in the market. It is time for a major overhaul!!

Channel 13 has been WVTM since the mid 1970s. They hold cache in the market. It's a much better brand than "Alabama's 13," that's for sure.

Switching back to the WAPI calls - which the vast majority of Briminghamians solely associate with radio and NOT channel 13 - makes no sense at all.

Calls changed in 1980 when Times Mirror purchased the station from Newhouse. I am not sure how many people would even know the calls WVTM if you just stopped and asked them. I know that older viewer's would be aware of WAPI.

Yeah, I've read it stands for "Vulcan Times-Mirror". Was the person who came up with the idea a fan of Star Trek and/or Greek-Roman mythology?

According to Wikipedia... "Vulcan" is a reference to a statue and "Times-Mirror" refers to the Times-Mirror company, the former owners of WVTM 13 who purchased it in 1980 and changed the call letters on March 28th, 1980.

What's kinda funny is that WVTM 13 was owned by Hearst under pre-merger Argyle Television in 1993 before selling it to NBC in 1996 due to former Argyle Television stations, at least 4 of them, being sold to New World/FOX and managing WVTM under a time-brokerage agreement until it could finally sell to NBC. The same could be said for KNSD in San Diego. (All of this according to Wikipedia)

Yeah, I've read it stands for "Vulcan Times-Mirror". Was the person who came up with the idea a fan of Star Trek and/or Greek-Roman mythology?

Vulcan = The Vulcan statue that serves as Birmingham's symbol.

Times-Mirror = WVTM's former owners, the Times-Mirror Broadcasting Company (owned from 1980 to 1993, when they sold WVTM to New World, and eventually NBC.)

Archived