New NBA TV Deal

mike91

Logical, yes, but we're still going to be deprived of the greatest sports theme ever:

[yt]fZKX-cf_p90[/yt]

Ah yes, how I long for some Roundball Rock.

I guess there is a silver lining. We won't be subjected to slam dunks and alley oops behind the NFL on FOX theme.

FS1 is really hurting with the core demo by not getting either the NBA or the NFL. Anybody think they should try to go all-out for Thursday Night Football? If they wanna go after ESPN, they need something huge to tip the scale in their favor.

I don't think that FS1 can even be a part of the TNF equation as the NFL wants the game(s) to be shown OTA. FOX/FS1 really missed the ship with this new NBA deal. At this point, they're better off shoring up any college football media rights that come up and beat ESPN at their game.

I don't think that FS1 can even be a part of the TNF equation as the NFL wants the game(s) to be shown OTA. FOX/FS1 really missed the ship with this new NBA deal. At this point, they're better off shoring up any college football media rights that come up and beat ESPN at their game.

The NHL could easily use a second cable partner in addition to NBCSN. The NBA has two (ESPN/TNT).

The NHL could easily use a second cable partner in addition to NBCSN. The NBA has two (ESPN/TNT).

No, they can't. They've already signed an exclusive deal with NBC. It would be up to NBC whether they'd want to sublicense games to Fox or not but the likelihood of that is slim to none especially when NBC can always utilize CNBC if there were ever a situation

where they needed an extra channel for hockey.

This is the one glimmer of hope they have left. But it's a glimmer. Small chance. The NFL is pretty happy with CBS and their production but they're also aware that they can get more money from the cable outlets like TNT/FS1/NBCSN. I wouldn't be surprised if the league goes either direction.

Just as this article says. http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2014/08/25/Media/CBS-Thursday-night.aspx

No, they can't. They've already signed an exclusive deal with NBC. It would be up to NBC whether they'd want to sublicense games to Fox or not but the likelihood of that is slim to none especially when NBC can always utilize CNBC if there were ever a situation

where they needed an extra channel for hockey.

This is the one glimmer of hope they have left. But it's a glimmer. Small chance. The NFL is pretty happy with CBS and their production but they're also aware that they can get more money from the cable outlets like TNT/FS1/NBCSN. I wouldn't be surprised if the league goes either direction.

Just as this article says. http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2014/08/25/Media/CBS-Thursday-night.aspx

TNT/FS1/NBCSN carrying TNF would essentially be the same thing that the NFL Network is doing now. Why would the NFL cannibalize viewership of their channel and give it to other cable properties?

To garner more money

They can't garner anymore money than the market can pay. By having a Thursday night game on NFL network, FS1, and FOX, the viewership will be watered down between all three channels. Plus, the NFL Network's carriage deals require that they show a certain amount of games on the channel to justify the costs. If such scenario were to happen, then cable/sat providers will be asking the NFL for a lower price to carry the channel.

They can't garner anymore money than the market can pay. By having a Thursday night game on NFL network, FS1, and FOX, the viewership will be watered down between all three channels. Plus, the NFL Network's carriage deals require that they show a certain amount of games on the channel to justify the costs. If such scenario were to happen, then cable/sat providers will be asking the NFL for a lower price to carry the channel.

They were willing to pay more than CBS's $275 million deal. And it would be structured just like CBS's deal. First 8 games simulcast, last 8 games NFL Net exclusive.

Believe me, TNF's market value per year is more than $275 million. CBS was the only network with an aggressive marketing plan + willing to let #1 team call games which is why they won.

They were willing to pay more than CBS's $275 million deal. And it would be structured just like CBS's deal. First 8 games simulcast, last 8 games NFL Net exclusive.

Believe me, TNF's market value per year is more than $275 million. CBS was the only network with an aggressive marketing plan + willing to let #1 team call games which is why they won.

Were willing, in the end they didn't get it. True market value of TNF we may never know. Plus CBS' bid was not much lower than the other bids submitted and it certainly was not the lowest. A few million dollars lost was fine by the NFL especially when they had a network like CBS give into most of the demands that the league wanted.

My whole point was that FS1 airing TNF games was redundant when paired with NFL Network. They're both cable channels and that setup was not going to net much more viewers when compared to simulcasting a game via cable and over the air. Plus, CBS as a network is not competing with the NFL Network for viewers on a daily basis- FS1 and ESPN are.

Archived