Starkville CBS station knocked off the air before Auburn-MSU game

mvcg66b3r

Talk about bad timing. On the eve of the biggest game in Mississippi State history, a lightning strike has knocked the CBS affiliate serving Starkville, Miss., off the air. The game between No. 2 Auburn and No. 3 Mississippi State is being shown nationally on CBS.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/lightning-auburn-mississippi-state-game-cbs-affiliate-knocked-off-air-alternate-plans-101114?cmpid=tsmtw:fscom:cfbonfox

I find it a bit odd that the cable company didn't have a direct fiber link to the station. I thought of that as an industry standard now a days. Like wise I find it odd that the satellite companies still rely on using an over the air tuner connected via fiber to their facility.

I find it a bit odd that the cable company didn't have a direct fiber link to the station. I thought of that as an industry standard now a days. Like wise I find it odd that the satellite companies still rely on using an over the air tuner connected via fiber to their facility.

Given the market, I doubt the cable companies would be willing to pay for the fiber, and the station probably couldn't pay for it either (Time Warner made the stations here start leasing the fiber lines if I recall correctly).

In the end, it's the station's responsibility to provide continuity of broadcast and not the service providers.

Well, keep in mind that WCBI is in market #133. And Mississippi is one of the poorest states in the country.

I'll turn it over to Doug Smith's post on RadioInsight to completely answer the question.

It's also a fairly large market geographically, covering the entire northeastern part of Mississippi and a small part of Alabama. It includes Columbus, Starkville, Tupelo, West Point and (I believe) Oxford. As it covers a large rural area, it requires a lot of small cable companies getting involved.

It's also a fairly large market geographically, covering the entire northeastern part of Mississippi and a small part of Alabama. It includes Columbus, Starkville, Tupelo, West Point and (I believe) Oxford. As it covers a large rural area, it requires a lot of small cable companies getting involved.

Oxford is part of the Memphis DMA.

Archived