WXYZ Modified 11pm Promo Graphics

ns8401

I'll be honest, I checked out the first two minutes, and nothing looks different to me. Though, I will say that I really like the Scripps election graphics (backgrounds, full screens, etc.)

It may have just been the preview graphics, Hopefully one of the others they ran at 1055 or 1059 had the same look. I'll let you guys know in a bit, I was afraid I would get faked out.

I think they look like crap.

See I thought the old ones looked awful, but that's all individual taste. I do think the tab is way too big and the font completely sucks. But I've never liked Scripps graphics fonts since they hubbed them. They are better than those promo graphics we were talking about from May out in San Diego, those were really horrid. I'd like to see what they end up doing with the rest of it, if they do anything at all. That's a big if.

I'll agree.

Looks to me like an in-house job that tried to mock the former Belo look.

Generally nobody tries to mock anybody else that way. Most if not all of the people who made the graphic and work there probably haven't heard of Belo. The assignment editor I work with at night has been in the Detroit market since 1977 and he didn't even know WXYZ wasn't owned by ABC anymore or that WLS looks a heck of a lot different. I was watching WLS online one night and he saw the circle 7 and immediately thought WXYZ because he doesn't like them very much. A lot of people could simply care less about other stations or groups that are not in-market.

What I will say is that they took a blank standard Scripps clear panel graphic and added the flat blue with large flat red tab and that's that. The other stuff is just a card with a swoosh effect. The news logo as a flash transition has been used for other things before, most recently for "The Now Detroit" promos also as a transition piece. I think it's most similar to the Scripps Breaking News L3. I'm not sure if it's in house or not, I'll ask.

KNXV is using the same tease graphics now, albeit with a less cartoonish font. Seems like WXYZ just cheaped out again.

The fonts are identical in both clips which probably means they standardized that aspect.

It sounds like these came from the hub though. Maybe the whole group is gonna get a new package or a revised one would be more like it.

Edit: These definitely came from the hub. Here's the first promo at WXYZ to use the new look with the same font as KNXV.

• 4 weeks later...

The fonts are identical in both clips which probably means they standardized that aspect.

It sounds like these came from the hub though. Maybe the whole group is gonna get a new package or a revised one would be more like it.

Edit: These definitely came from the hub. Here's the first promo at WXYZ to use the new look with the same font as KNXV.

The fonts used on the L3s remind me of what WXYZ used in the early 90s.

In fact, I like the retro-ness of the L3s. Nothing against Gotham, but the font is starting to be overexposed just a little bit.

The fonts used on the L3s remind me of what WXYZ used in the early 90s.

In fact, I like the retro-ness of the L3s. Nothing against Gotham, but the font is starting to be overexposed just a little bit.

Just curious but do these graphics use Gotham or something else? I'm a bit of an illiterate when it comes to fonts.

Archived