WLS To Air Cubs Games

24994J

It's going to be cheaper for everyone if WLS just contracts out to WGN for the production.

WGN already has the resources in place (which they don't own... The gear is from NEP Supershooters.)

WLS doesn't have to do much extra work other than sell ads.

This is how WMLW handled the Milwaukee Brewers games they used to air... They were just rebranded FOX Sports Wisconsin broadcasts. The broadcaster saves money via time and effort, the producing station gets money to do what they would normally do, and the viewers have consistency. The only thing people would complain about regarding the WMLW broadcasts were their awful picture quality.

Unless WLS picks up entire series, it's not going to make any sense to bring in a truck and crew for one game here and there.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Cubs seem eager to sever all ties with WGN, so I doubt WLS would want to get in a sticky situation and partner up with them to produce games. Plus, WGN could be completely shut out with the remaining 45 games going to CSN and another station in town. Until we find out who gets the remaining games, it's unclear how things will pan out.

Doesn't WJZ still air the Orioles? I know for awhile it was split between WJZ and WNUV, but not sure what the arrangement is nowadays.

Yes. WJZ still airs Orioles games. They are the exclusive OTA home of the O's in Baltimore but they no longer air games exclusively. They simulcast whatever game MASN is showing whether it's on the main MASN station or the overflow station, MASN2. Their games range from daytime to weekdays and Sundays

I'm just curious to see what graphics and theme they come up with and what the overall presentation will be. Will they make their own graphics or use and ESPN template with the abc7 logo slapped on? This is so much change at once that it's actually pretty exciting.

I believe this is what we'll see. ESPN will help produce these games and could eventually help the Cubs launch their own RSN just like ESPN has helped SEC and Texas launch their own respective networks. Obviously, a potential Cubs station would be local unlike the SEC and Texas nets, but it would be another new network which ESPN could use as leverage. I also forsee ESPN simulcasting WLS games during SportsCenter and Baseball Tonight and I could even see Baseball Tonight doing shows from Wrigley in the regular season if the Cubs have a big matchup which will air on WLS just to provide extra hype especially since ESPN is starting to let their studio shows go out on location more.

It's possible that the Cubs could produce the all the games that do not air on CSN. It would make it less complicated that way. I can't imagine that they would be ok with having three different entities (CSN, WGN, WLS) each produce the games as that would be a nightmare trying to coordinate who will do what games. In all honesty, the Cubs should have done everything possible to buy out their contract with CSN. While it would have cost them a good amount of money right away, they would have recouped that in a few years. I'm not so sure that they get the same amount of tv money in 2019, compared to now had they partnered up to launch their own network or with FOX.

This idea is what would've made the most sense. If I were the Cubs, I would've started my own production company with online backing (similar to what the Wizards/Caps are doing with Monumental Sports) and would've had that company branded with the same name I would want the Cubs' RSN branded as and I would've had them producing the 25 games on WLS as well as the remaining 45 games which will most likely continue airing on WGN.

It's going to be cheaper for everyone if WLS just contracts out to WGN for the production.

WGN already has the resources in place (which they don't own... The gear is from NEP Supershooters.)

WLS doesn't have to do much extra work other than sell ads.

This is how WMLW handled the Milwaukee Brewers games they used to air... They were just rebranded FOX Sports Wisconsin broadcasts. The broadcaster saves money via time and effort, the producing station gets money to do what they would normally do, and the viewers have consistency. The only thing people would complain about regarding the WMLW broadcasts were their awful picture quality.

Unless WLS picks up entire series, it's not going to make any sense to bring in a truck and crew for one game here and there.

This is cheaper but I would be shocked if ABC let a direct competitor produce for them since I'm sure the Cubs games will be promoting WLS' newscasts. Although, Disney and Tribune have a good relationship since Disney sells movies/America's Funniest Home Videos to Tribune stations and WGN, so maybe this sort of arrangement does work out.

What does this deal mean for ABC's future?

You can make an argument that ABC 7 acquiring Cubs games was done to give ABC's O&O's (and/or the ABC Network) more value in case they are sold by Disney (since that rumor continues to churn on and off) or you can make the argument that acquiring Cubs games is a sign that Disney is absolutely committed to keeping ABC O&O's (and/or the ABC Network) in their own hands with valuable programming.

Maybe this is part of a new company wide strategy to payback their ABC O&O's for moving so many sporting events to ESPN especially since CBS, NBC and Fox have increased their sports programming on OTAs over the years. Maybe ABC O&O's will now be competing for portions of local sports TV rights to supplement ABC's Saturday night college football package and the NBA.

OR maybe I'm wrong and this was just a specific investment targeted at WLS, who has most likely been hit hard since the Rose Bowl, CFB Championship and Oprah have all left within the last couple of years.

Nah, it's not ridiculous; it's just a sign of the times. Pretty much every sport except the NFL is primarily on cable even during their playoffs now. Even the NFL is starting to dabble more and more with the cable networks to see if they'll be successful enough to maybe become more cable-based in the future.

Nah, it's not ridiculous; it's just a sign of the times. Pretty much every sport except the NFL is primarily on cable even during their playoffs now. Even the NFL is starting to dabble more and more with the cable networks to see if they'll be successful enough to maybe become more cable-based in the future.

It's a bad idea though to make yourself less accessible to the people. Long ago when the Blackhawks made the pay per view decision that whole idea really backfired on them. The Cubs could have trouble picking up new fans if all or most of their games were broadcast on cable channels.

It's a bad idea though to make yourself less accessible to the people. Long ago when the Blackhawks made the pay per view decision that whole idea really backfired on them. The Cubs could have trouble picking up new fans if all or most of their games were broadcast on cable channels.

You'd have an arguement if...

1. It was 1994

2. 90-something percent of homes didn't have cable.

3. This deal was actually changing things. CSN has had a major chunk of games for years. Nothing is new, except for the local channel.

• 5 weeks later...

A bit of a bump, but the first game to air on ABC 7 will be April 8th (Wednesday, 1:20PM) against the Cards. They will also air 4 of the 6 White Sox games between June and August. The rest of the schedule is unknown, for now.

A bit of a bump, but the first game to air on ABC 7 will be April 8th (Wednesday, 1:20PM) against the Cards. They will also air 4 of the 6 White Sox games between June and August. The rest of the schedule is unknown, for now.

We are talking the crosstown series for the Sox right?

Wow, 4 of the 6 crosstown games? They're really all-in on that series, eh? I assume WGN will get the short end of the stick on the crosstown series since CSN will probably have most of the Hawk and Stoney telecasts. I wonder if it will be WGN or CSN that picks up the remaining two Len/Jim telecasts. Maybe WGN will take one while CSN takes the other?

• 1 month later...

The schedule is out, and those 25 games are now 24, with only 10 Saturday and 5 Sunday games, leaving 9 weekday slots (1Tu, 2W, 2Th, 4F). Of the non-Saturday games (7 day, 3 night), only 2 will fall during primetime. They will carry 3 of the crosstown games.

http://abc7chicago.com/sports/abc7-to-televise-24-cubs-games-in-2015/527258/

Wed 4/8 vs. St. Louis 1:20 PM ABC7

Fri 4/17 vs. San Diego 1:20 PM ABC7

Sat 4/25 @ Cincinnati 12:10 PM ABC7

Sat 5/16 vs. Pittsburgh 3:05 PM ABC7

Sun 5/31 vs. Kansas City 1:20 PM ABC7

Sat 6/20 @ Minnesota 1:10 PM ABC7

Sun 6/21 @ Minnesota 1:10 PM ABC7

Thur 6/25 vs. LA Dodgers 1:20 PM ABC7

Fri 6/26 @ St. Louis 7:15 PM ABC7

Sat 7/11 vs. White Sox 3:05 PM ABC7

Sun 7/12 vs. White Sox 1:20 PM ABC7

Sat 7/18 @ Atlanta 6:10 PM ABC7

Wed 7/22 @ Cincinnati 11:35 AM ABC7

Sat 7/25 vs. Philadelphia 3:05 PM ABC7

Sun 7/26 vs. Philadelphia 1:20 PM ABC7

Sat 8/1 @ Milwaukee 6:10 PM ABC7

Sun 8/2 @ Milwaukee 1:10 PM ABC7

Sat 8/8 vs. SF Giants 3:05 PM ABC7

Thur 8/13 vs. Milwaukee 1:20 PM ABC7

Sat 8/15 @ White Sox 6:10 PM ABC7

Tue 8/18 vs. Detroit 7:05 PM ABC7

Sat 8/22 vs. Atlanta 3:05 PM ABC7

Fri 9/18 vs. St. Louis 1:20 PM ABC7

Fri 9/25 vs. Pittsburgh 1:20 PM ABC7

• 1 month later...

It was just established that Mark Giangreco will host the ABC 7 pregame show, with JR reporting at the ballpark before, during and after the game...at least on day 1. The first WLS game is two weeks from today.

It was just established that Mark Giangreco will host the ABC 7 pregame show, with JR reporting at the ballpark before, during and after the game...at least on day 1. The first WLS game is two weeks from today.

Sweet... Too bad I can't be in town that day

• 2 weeks later...

Tomorrow's the big day, but with an early cancellation of tonight's game and poor weather on slate for tomorrow, it's uncertain if the 1:20 start will even happen. IF it does, Kasper and DeShaies will have the call and Giangreco and Rose will represent the sports department, but new today, Cheryl Scott will have the pregame forecast, and Ron Magers will do a segment in the booth during the 5th inning. No word on who's singing the 7th inning stretch, but I would guess it's no one from ABC 7.

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/news/2015/04/07/wls-channel-7-ready-to-take-on-the-chicago-cubs.html?page=all

Tomorrow's the big day, but with an early cancellation of tonight's game and poor weather on slate for tomorrow, it's uncertain if the 1:20 start will even happen. IF it does, Kasper and DeShaies will have the call and Giangreco and Rose will represent the sports department, but new today, Cheryl Scott will have the pregame forecast, and Ron Magers will do a segment in the booth during the 5th inning. No word on who's singing the 7th inning stretch, but I would guess it's no one from ABC 7.

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/news/2015/04/07/wls-channel-7-ready-to-take-on-the-chicago-cubs.html?page=all

They find any way possible to give more time to Cheryl Scott.

Who can blame them, honestly? Like her or not, they're banking on her for the future, so it only makes sense to get her face out there as much as possible. She already does a forecast that is broadcast on the jumbotron at the United Center during Bulls games. Plus, the early afternoon time frame of the baseball game makes her the most logical meteorologist to make such an appearance.

What I assume to be the theme song has appeared a few times during 'Windy City Live', including a longer play after the 11:45 news update. It's a little clubby and hip for my taste, but I'm curious to see how it goes with the title card we've seen.

I won't know til the end of the game if my tuner captured it, so sorry in advanced.

Observations:

• The open is entirely new, and the theme is not like what I saw on WCL.
  • The in-show graphics appear to be a modified version of the now old ESPN package.
  • The show opened with Mark and JR on the field, then tossed to Len and JD in the booth. They then tossed to Cheryl on the jumbotron for evidence of her existence, and not the forecast, but she is also at the park. She went back to Mark and JR, and they're in break now.
  • ABC 7 was able to dump out of national's special report regarding the Boston Bombing trial results.
  • I'm not sure if the font is different from the old ESPN look (same as the Cubs on ABC 7 logo), but the full-screen graphics are colored with ABC 7 blue/Cubbie clue (conveniently the same), and are rather different than the four-letter network package. Lower thirds are nothing special, though.
  • Like WGN and CSN, the pregame show is wrapping up about 4 minutes ahead of the game, throwing into a commercial before Len and JD take over. They're not trying to reinvent the wheel, and that's a good thing, even if the graphics are unoriginal and now outdated.
  • The anthem and pregame festivities are not aired, which is a little disappointing, though I'll give it a pass as it's their first day.
  • The scoredboard is nothing like ESPN's, but very similar to CSN's (positioned top level, in the safe zone). It's a 2-level model, with the ABC7 in a black box on the left, the team logos are stacked in team-colored boxes, followed to the right by the initials on black, scores on white, base indicator, then the at bat stats, with out and inning on top and balls and strikes on the bottom. An empty space on the bar exists to the right of the B/S stat, reserved for pitch speed, but unlike every other broadcaster, pitch count is absent.
  • The replay transitions come in three varieties. The first is the show logo spinning from center, the return to play is either the ABC7 into center through blue and black diamonds or the ABC7 flashing in the rear as the glass bar effect from the news runs over top.
  • Windy City Live gets the first station in-game promo.
  • The scoreboard is sorely lack. I wish they would fix the font size and spacing.
  • No verbal mention of the stations airing upcoming games, unlike WGN and CSN.
  • Jim Deshaies just directed viewers to KABC's website.
  • Bottom of the 2nd, I'm heading out to get something for lunch. I'll try to be back by the time Ron's on in the 5th.
  • JR has an Ernie Banks remembrance.
  • Man on third. First base is lit on the score bug. Whoops.
  • Men at the corners. First and second are lit.
  • Bug is now correct.
  • Magers is educating the guys about sports broadcasting from 50 years ago. Not kidding.
  • Quick top of the 5th, Magers is out the door. Other news personalities will spend time in the booth over the course of the season.
  • Interesting note, the game will be rebroadcast tonight at 7 on 7.2 (LiveWell). CSN rebroadcasts games, but WGN doesn't have such a luxury.
  • #CubWin... If they only with the ABC 7 games, they'll finish the year in last place and only 114 games below .500.

I will be updating this specific post throughout the afternoon.

Archived