Random WFLD thread

Spring Rubber

10 hours ago, Jase said:

I figured this (a seamless background) was a possibility. I do wonder if the alcove (see pic) will be redone as well. Such an underutilized area that, if done properly, could provide another opportunity for standups and whatnot.

IMG_1600.thumb.jpeg.dc0b0fd3ec1bbead64a84d57212adb00.jpeg

ND and/or EP (I forgot who) doesn't like that area of the set. I'm sure it's going to get ripped out if it hasn't already yet. They ditched it a while back (it was mainly used during the morning weather) for the weather to just be done directly from the weather center attached to the newsroom.

I heard the main studio is getting the seamless background monitor upgrade and other upgrades/changes to the set. I don't know if it's going to be a full overhaul. Might be a WMAQ type set upgrade. I know they just changed the weather graphics to the blue and gold graphic set (from the morning graphic set that WFLD doesn't use for their morning show).

I don't remember when the morning meteorologists were last in the actual studio or had any actual shots at the anchor desk.. They do all their weather directly from the weather center now or from the windowed studio on rare occasions.

1 hour ago, K77 said:

They do all their weather directly from the weather center now or from the windowed studio on rare occasions.

And it took dang near more than 6 years after the set made its debut for them to have a weather center. The weather cave was on the other side of the Chroma wall.

18 hours ago, K77 said:

ND and/or EP (I forgot who) doesn't like that area of the set. I'm sure it's going to get ripped out if it hasn't already yet. They ditched it a while back (it was mainly used during the morning weather) for the weather to just be done directly from the weather center attached to the newsroom.

I heard the main studio is getting the seamless background monitor upgrade and other upgrades/changes to the set. I don't know if it's going to be a full overhaul. Might be a WMAQ type set upgrade. I know they just changed the weather graphics to the blue and gold graphic set (from the morning graphic set that WFLD doesn't use for their morning show).

I don't remember when the morning meteorologists were last in the actual studio or had any actual shots at the anchor desk.. They do all their weather directly from the weather center now or from the windowed studio on rare occasions.

17 hours ago, R.R. said:

And it took dang near more than 6 years after the set made its debut for them to have a weather center. The weather cave was on the other side of the Chroma wall.

The weather center has been around since July 2022 and was a part of a larger renovation project WFLD undertook over a 2-3 year period.

They ditched the ‘Storm Force’  weather graphic elements (which I liked) for ‘Weather Authority’ a couple of weeks back. 

Edited by Jase

6 hours ago, Jase said:

The weather center has been around since July 2022 and was a part of a larger renovation project WFLD undertook over a 2-3 year period.

I believe that renovation actually involved work that needed to be done with the building infrastructure itself as to why it took so long. I know the place had some larger plumbing issues that needed to be dealt with that involved walls/ceilings and concrete needing to be ripped out in some of those areas.

3 hours ago, K77 said:

I believe that renovation actually involved work that needed to be done with the building infrastructure itself as to why it took so long. I know the place had some larger plumbing issues that needed to be dealt with that involved walls/ceilings and concrete needing to be ripped out in some of those areas.

You may be referring to work to renovate the plazas that surround the Illinois Center complex. WFLD modernized/renovated the space (offices, newsroom, etc...) that they occupy within the building as part of signing a new long-term lease. That work and work on the plazas happened around the same time.

The weather center is in an area that was once was a conference room/open space within the newsroom, which wouldn't require any of the major work you're suggesting nor would be the responsibility of WFLD.