Surprise Ice Over

ThunderJay27

Sunday morning, freezing rain overtook the Philly area by surprise. This gave an opportunity to see how our stations handle an "on the fly" event.

CBS 3 & 6 ABC had the best coverage while NBC 10 was late to the party and left early. 29 had limited coverage.

3's partnership with KYW 1060 & their traffic department got them through well, showing most of the major accidents and having up to the minute info on all roadways, while having an actual traffic reporter on air.

6's star was meteorologist Chris Sowers with his detailed break down of the event. Their coverage was fine, but he stood out among all his weather colleges at the other stations.

10 didn't really get into the coverage until around 7:40. At that point, 3 & 6 had extended coverage since 7. I was really surprised at their lack of coverage of this event.

When 8am hit, 6 & 10 went to national programming without any craws directed specifically to the event.

Update: 10 came back in full force at the 9am newscast. Michelle Grossman had an extended weathercast, got live calls on the air, Jillian Mele in studio, and sending out reporters, and now Sheena Parveen.

6 continued their good coverage from their earlier newscast.

And of course, our very own Matt Williams just seems to have up and vanished since before Christmas. Does anybody know where he ran off to?

Guys, Hulkie is usually active on social media he vanished on December 19th. I think something has happen that god forbid isn't what I think it is.

6's star was meteorologist Chris Sowers with his detailed break down of the event. Their coverage was fine, but he stood out among all his weather colleges at the other stations.

Chris Sowers is one of the best meteorologists in the area, it's a shame he isn't promoted to full-time. They could really use him to fill in since Adam has been off. He's extremely knowledgeable, you can tell he enjoys what he is doing, and does a good job of explaining it. He's also really active on Facebook with detailed posts, even when he's not on the air.

I too wondered about Hulkie ... wonder where he's been?

Chris Sowers is one of the best meteorologists in the area, it's a shame he isn't promoted to full-time. They could really use him to fill in since Adam has been off. He's extremely knowledgeable, you can tell he enjoys what he is doing, and does a good job of explaining it. He's also really active on Facebook with detailed posts, even when he's not on the air.

I too wondered about Hulkie ... wonder where he's been?

Chris Sowers is full time. They just don't let him on air during the week for some reason.

Archived