Katz launching 'LAFF' diginet on ABC O&O's and Scripps' stations

The Frog

It’ll be Tax Day, but Katz Broadcasting is hoping Americans in 21 markets will find something to laugh about with the launch April 15 of LAFF, what Katz calls the nation’s first comedy-driven broadcast network,

The network will premiere on ABC-owned TV stations in eight markets – including Los Angeles, Chicago and New York – and 13 more on stations owned by E.W. Scripps, including Detroit, Phoenix and Tampa. All told, the agreements put the channel in front of 35 percent of the country.

The channel will mix recent off-network sitcoms and feature-length films, and target adults 18 to 49. It will be part of the broadcast signal of the participating stations and on cable. Digital content will be available on LAFF.com and through a LAFF app.

The ABC Owned TV Station Group sent out a quick release saying that LAFF will run on its D3 subchannel and that the Live Well Network, though ending its syndication availability, will continue to run on the ABC stations’ D2 subchannel.

http://deadline.com/2015/01/laff-network-launch-katz-broadcasting-abc-e-w-scripps-1201352773/

I wonder why ABC is keeping Live Well O&O exclusive? I also wonder why they're keeping it running in the first place?

Congrats to Katz Broadcasting. They're going to benefit greatly from ABC's promotion. If they launch any original shows, I wouldn't be surprised to see a star come on a segment during "Good Morning America" or "The View." I'm sure LAFF Net will also get promotion during ABC and Scripps' local newscasts. I also wonder if Katz is going to buy some of ABC's old TGIF comedies.

Katz and Weigel are doing an excellent job of churning out diginets so quickly.

I wonder why ABC is keeping Live Well O&O exclusive? I also wonder why they're keeping it running in the first place?

Congrats to Katz Broadcasting. They're going to benefit greatly from ABC's promotion. If they launch any original shows, I wouldn't be surprised to see a star come on a segment during "Good Morning America" or "The View." I'm sure LAFF Net will also get promotion during ABC and Scripps' local newscasts. I also wonder if Katz is going to buy some of ABC's old TGIF comedies. Not that it couldn't happen; I believe that Ion's WB comedy deal lapsed a few years ago, when they found out that they were better off running marathons of "Blue Blood" and "Criminal Minds."

Katz and Weigel are doing an excellent job of churning out diginets so quickly.

In order to get most of the classic TGiF comedies, Katz would have to make deals with Warner Bros. Which shouldn't be a problem; a similar deal between Ion Media Networks and WB for their sitcom library ended a few years ago.

I'm curious as to how Laff will be much different from TBS.

Hmm..I guess I was under the impression ABC was continuing LWN for another couple months. WBAY held off on launching Decades on Friday as previously planned keeping LWN on 2.3 as "Live Well Network is continuing operations for another couple of months." This coming only four days after WBAY announced Decades would replace LWN this past Friday. I had to use the Wayback Machine as WBAY quickly scrubbed the announcement from their site.

So, I assumed they were just "helping" some affiliates out by running LWN a few more months. But, the comments by Rebecca Campbell that "We are also committed to keeping Live Well Network up and running in our own markets, so that we can continue to provide unique local programming and pursue corporate synergy opportunities" make it seem as though LWN will continue indefinetly...at least on the ABC O&O's. But, it appears as though it will be a "zombie" LWN comprised strictly of reruns as (to the best of my knowledge) all the original programming has ceased production. So, IDK.

TBS is "Very Funny." OTOH, Laff will only be "Funny."

In order to get most of the classic TGiF comedies, Katz would have to make deals with Warner Bros. Which shouldn't be a problem; a similar deal between Ion Media Networks and WB for their sitcom library ended a few years ago.

Grit and Escape have programming deals with Warner Bros. NBCUniversal, Sony and Paramount, so that's where I'd imagine the programming for LAFF will come from (plus Disney with the ABC deals, possibly)

So, I assumed they were just "helping" some affiliates out by running LWN a few more months. But, the comments by Rebecca Campbell that "We are also committed to keeping Live Well Network up and running in our own markets, so that we can continue to provide unique local programming and pursue corporate synergy opportunities" make it seem as though LWN will continue indefinetly...at least on the ABC O&O's. But, it appears as though it will be a "zombie" LWN comprised strictly of reruns as (to the best of my knowledge) all the original programming has ceased production. So, IDK.

So basically, Live Well has been reduced to what G4TV was the past few years. Wow.

Sounds a lot like what Dish Network did with the old Nick GAS channel.....basically record a long swath of programming, and put it on an automated loop that outlasted the original network by 15 months.

Why any TV station or group would waste their bandwidth carrying a zombie channel is beyond me. They're better off kicking this channel to the curb and using it for something worthwhile...and LWN's concept was pretty worthless to begin with, IMHO.

Sounds a lot like what Dish Network did with the old Nick GAS channel.....basically record a long swath of programming, and put it on an automated loop that outlasted the original network by 15 months.

Why any TV station or group would waste their bandwidth carrying a zombie channel is beyond me. They're better off kicking this channel to the curb and using it for something worthwhile...and LWN's concept was pretty worthless to begin with, IMHO.

The only reason I can think of for keeping LWN alive is so they can sell extra commercial inventory with minimal expense. But even that is a stretch.

A non-stop radar loop would be more productive use of time. Or a test pattern.

Archived