Is WKBN/WYFX & WYTV ending SSA?

Wills737

To me the graphics are amazing, and I think WKBN is doing some great things with their set and new graphics! Really excited.. The only reason WFMJ is number one is because they're locally owned.. Which I guess in other words means you'll get whats happening today, tomorrow.. Those local connections must not be the best.

Yet they are number one in most timeslots. Folks, welcome to Youngstown's version of WTOC.

The irony in this was that before WKBN was sold by its founding family to corporate interests, they used Gari's "Newschannel" in both its classic and updated forms in the 90s.

Meanwhile during this time, WFMJ debuted their 1990s KCBS-style logo, which is WORLDS better than the piece of garbage they debuted in 2001 and have used since.

When will there be a new interview set, or is there no more room in the studio? Also I'm still waiting for the graphics behind the desk to change for segments/stories. I really don't like the zoom-outs showing the Strorm Team 27/weather gfx for non-weather-related things...like the close. Thought that was the whole point of the new set.

And wow...sure are a lot of 21 News haters here. Jeez!

They should still have room for an interview set, maybe even use the old weather center (their secondary set). And hey the minute WFMJ reports stories as fast and as accurate as 27 is the minute I'll respect them as a news station..

And wow...sure are a lot of 21 News haters here. Jeez!

There are a lot of 21 News haters because they put out a subpar product even compared to the competition nowadays, yet they're at the top because of being locally-owned. I will say this much: if it wasn't for the Vindicator and Oprah, WFMJ would probably be sitting in third place being in a SSA with WKBN or even WYTV.

There are a lot of 21 News haters because they put out a subpar product even compared to the competition nowadays, yet they're at the top because of being locally-owned. I will say this much: if it wasn't for the Vindicator and Oprah, WFMJ would probably be sitting in third place being in a SSA with WKBN or even WYTV.

Yeah that's true they do have very high rated lead-ins to their 6 pm news.. For a bit while Teresa Weakley was at 27, firstnews took first place for the highest rated 11 pm newscast. Not sure if they still have it or if 21 got it back.

Not that I'm at all qualified to run a TV station..let us all agree the all professional media in Youngstown is a little sub-par (Vindy and 570-AM too)

WKBN 570 now has no news department to speak of. It's all piped in via the iHeartRadio Cleveland cluster with actualities from WKBN/WYTV.

Youngstown has far too many AM stations to begin with, and (with the exception of WKBN) none of them cover the entire market on a continuous basis.

I know I'm bumping this thread but I think I got an idea. Remember how WGNO and WNOL in New Orleans channel-shared after Katrina but before the analog shutdown? They were both on WNOL's UHF 15 signal but WGNO's PSIP was 26.1 and WNOL's was 38.1. Well here is my "modest proposal" for WKBN/WYFX/WYTV:

WKBN:

27.1 (41.1)-WKBN CBS (720p)

27.2 (41.2)-Fox Youngstown (480i)

33.2 (41.3)-MyYTV (480i)

33.3 (41.4)-Bounce (480i)

33.4 (41.5)-WYTV ABC (480i)

WYTV-LD (formerly WYFX-LD)

33.1 (19.1)-WYTV ABC (720p)

27.3 (19.2)-Fox Youngstown (720p)

Those are my ideas. Sorry if I went James Ciehola on this post.

Edited on 1/28/2015

Yet they are number one in most timeslots. Folks, welcome to Youngstown's version of WTOC.

Not really. The last time I saw a WSAV newscast, I thought it was crap. In other words, they don't have a lot of competition. Speaking of WTOC, here's Bill Cathcart early in his career in Columbus at WLWC:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1603160845014&set=gm.178771022168228&type=1&theater

I know I'm bumping this thread but I think I got an idea. Remember how WGNO and WNOL in New Orleans channel-shared after Katrina but before the analog shutdown? They were both on WNOL's UHF 15 signal but WGNO's PSIP was 26.1 and WNOL's was 38.1. Well here is my "modest proposal" for WKBN/WYFX/WYTV:

WKBN:

27.1 (41.1)-WKBN CBS (720p)

27.2 (41.2)-Fox Youngstown (480i)

33.1 (41.3)-WYTV ABC (480i)

33.2 (41.4)-MyYTV (480i)

33.3 (41.5)-Bounce (480i)

WYTV-LD (formerly WYFX-LD)

33.1 (19.1)-WYTV ABC (720p)

33.2 (19.2)-MyYTV (480i)

27.2 (19.3)-Fox Youngstown (720p)

Those are my ideas. Sorry if I went James Ciehola on this post.

I know this is hypothetical but, such an arrangement wouldn't work. The duplicate virtual channel numbers would create a PSIP conflict. If the duplicate 33.1, 33.2 and 27.2 entries were changed to 33.4, 33.5 and 27.3 you'd be good, though.

Archived