Is WKBN/WYFX & WYTV ending SSA?

Wills737

According to WKBN's wikipedia page after the merger between Lin Media and General Media they now have to end their SSA with WYTV due to strict regulators put in place by the FCC. I'm not certain about all of the details, however, Lin/GM already traded stations with Sinclair because they owned 2 or 3 stations in the same market. Does anyone have any input? Will WYTV move back to its old studio? Which talent goes to which station?

I sure hope Sinclair doesn't buy wytv. Gray would be perfect, since they own Toldeo's WTVG. WYTV needs to rebrand, I say if and when anyone buys the station they will move back to Shady Run Road. Have to remember all wytv's programming and traffic is ran remotely by MG. So new owners will have to build out master control, since it's local one is inside wkbn on Sunset Blvd.

It's status quo for the time being. Nothing will need to change for at least two years. MG has until December 19, 2016 to amend, terminate or otherwise bring into compliance all JSA's.

And, the Wikipedia entry is technically incorrect. They don't have to terminate the agreement(s). That is but one option for coming for coming into compliance. They could just as easily amend the agreement(s) thereby coming into compliance that way.

I also addressed this in three previous posts if you were looking for more info.

I always thought that it was only an SSA between WYTV and WKBN/WYFX with a separate sales staff under Parkin/Vaughan. If that's the case, there's no reason to break this arrangement since it is NOT a JSA.

I stand corrected...

The Parkin deal was strictly an SSA since the article posted below stated that "Senior management and advertising sales workers will remain at WYTV and are not part of the shared-services agreement."

http://www4.vindy.com/content/local_regional/317350489556276.php

It likely became a JSA when LIN purchased New Vision, and Parkin sold to Vaughan.

Here's the JSA entered into under Vaughan....

https://stations.fcc.gov/collect/files/4693/Joint%20sales%20agreements/WYTV%20JSA%20%2813591293823494%29.pdf

According to WKBN's wikipedia page after the merger between Lin Media and General Media they now have to end their SSA with WYTV due to strict regulators put in place by the FCC. I'm not certain about all of the details, however, Lin/GM already traded stations with Sinclair because they owned 2 or 3 stations in the same market. Does anyone have any input? Will WYTV move back to its old studio? Which talent goes to which station?

It would be nice if that will happen, and WYTV 33 should go back to their 33 Eyewitness News days. However it wouldn't surprise me if Sinclair buys WYTV to add another notch in their belt. Sinclair would have a station in all Ohio major markets except Cleveland.

It's status quo for the time being. Nothing will need to change for at least two years. MG has until December 19, 2016 to amend, terminate or otherwise bring into compliance all JSA's.

And, the Wikipedia entry is technically incorrect. They don't have to terminate the agreement(s). That is but one option for coming for coming into compliance. They could just as easily amend the agreement(s) thereby coming into compliance that way.

I also addressed this in three previous posts if you were looking for more info.

I would also assume that LIN and MediaGeneral's merging had a minor role in this.

It would shock me if WYTV was simply spun off. The Youngstown market simply can't support three seperate news departments. Even before the initial SSA, WYTV struggled against WKBN and WFMJ.

And what would the condition of the former WYTV studios be, considering that they have effectively been vacant for around seven years?

Theoretically, WYTV would get to keep only Jim Loboy and Stan Boney. Other than that, 33 would pretty much have to rebuild its news team, its studios, and its image of being WKBN's b*tch. As Myron Falwell said, Youngstown can support two news departments and for all we know, WYTV might just shut down with a programming shuffle happening on WKBN and WYFX.

• 3 weeks later...

Theoretically, WYTV would get to keep only Jim Loboy and Stan Boney. Other than that, 33 would pretty much have to rebuild its news team, its studios, and its image of being WKBN's b*tch. As Myron Falwell said, Youngstown can support two news departments and for all we know, WYTV might just shut down with a programming shuffle happening on WKBN and WYFX.

I agree I feel like Youngstown can't handle three new stations because of its size, but I just came across an article about KDBC in DMA 98 and Sinclair bought them and rebuilt the station from the ground up... Just saying, it may be possible.

I agree I feel like Youngstown can't handle three new stations because of its size, but I just came across an article about KDBC in DMA 98 and Sinclair bought them and rebuilt the station from the ground up... Just saying, it may be possible.

To be fair, KDBC just became a duopoly with KFOX which made it much easier for Sinclair compared to starting a whole new news operation from scratch.

To be fair, KDBC just became a duopoly with KFOX which made it much easier for Sinclair compared to starting a whole new news operation from scratch.

Yeah, that's true. I just read they did massive renovations to start KDBC up, and their on air image is really nice. Just figure if it was possible in DMA 98 why not DMA 113

Yeah, that's true. I just read they did massive renovations to start KDBC up, and their on air image is really nice. Just figure if it was possible in DMA 98 why not DMA 113

It's all about revenue. Where a market is ranked in terms of households is not the same as the market ranking for revenue. As an example, in the 2000s, when Las Vegas was hovering around 50 in terms of total households , it was a top 25 market in terms of revenue. Although El Paso and Youngstown are similar sized markets, I would guess the revenue gap between the two is much bigger.

It's all about revenue. Where a market is ranked in terms of households is not the same as the market ranking for revenue. As an example, in the 2000s, when Las Vegas was hovering around 50 in terms of total households , it was a top 25 market in terms of revenue. Although El Paso and Youngstown are similar sized markets, I would guess the revenue gap between the two is much bigger.

Keep in mind that the El Paso media market size calculations don't even include Ciudad Juárez. They punch above weight in revenue, I am sure.

WKBN Has finally debuted its new set, and...I've never come close to being overwhelmed by a small-market studio.

It all looks simple at face value, but the graphics they use makes everything amazing. Especially during weather reports, which are my favorite part of the set.

If you watched Nightly Business Report during the Susie Gharib/Tom Hudson era, the augmented reality/virtual studio aspect there are similarly used here.

I'll send pics later...

There goes the cool "WKBN" wordmark! I notice LIN/Media General's been at work redoing the graphics for all the old New Vision stations, but this stuff is kind of junky. Arial? Really? J.C. Burns was allowed to express more flair than whoever LIN/MG got to do these.

And the virtual reality set looks so fake. Hopefully they do cool things with it that justify it - and not CNN-type gimmicky stuff either.

Archived